Washington Trip July - Seattle to Spokane

Bodhi

I need to start in Seattle and arrive in Spokane in ~4 days.  I've done a lot around Seattle, Tacoma, and Bainbridge so looking for some new experiences.  Thinking about checking out Whidbey/Fidalgo Island then heading south towards Leavenworth.  Also, could do Whidbey/Fidalgo Island then head east towards North Cascades National Park.  Any feedback on these two or completely alternative suggestions?  

The only time I went to Seattle, we did Whidbey and Deception Pass was beautiful.  We spent almost an entire day down by the water, even though we hadn't planned a lunch or anything.  On the way to Leavenworth, we stopped and hiked one of the waterfall hikes which wasn't too intense, even though it was pretty vertical.  Great views and a nicely maintained trail.  Leavenworth was great for sausages and beer, but I'm not much of a shopper for the style of stuff they sell.  If someone is decorating a cabin with Alpine stuff, that's going to be your whole day.  At least take a half-day and walk around and eat lunch.

• Hook 'Em 1

The Leavenworth idea ain't bad... but east of there is pretty bland. However, some of the best hiking in the state is in that area, up Icicle Creek.

Further north, Highway 20 is just open in the last week or so- that would be my suggestion.... north to Mukilteo, ferry to Whidbey, through Deception Pass, over to Mt. Vernon (much cooler little downtown than Burlington, if you're looking for a place to get lunch). Back up to 20 and along the southern edge of the NCNP.

Three options from there:

• When you get to Twisp, you could go south on 153 to Chelan (Lake Chelan is nice) and then head east to Spokane... high desert vistas
  • Follow 20 to Omak, then 153 through Grand Coulee (DAMN!) and then onto Spokane
  • Follow 20 all the way to Colville, then 395 into Spokane (more green/mountains)

If I was with my father in law, we'd do the dam (he's a bridge engineer). If it was just me, I'd take 20 all the way to Colville, and then into Spokane (I'd probably car-camp and do some day hikes). If you're looking for some hiking options, here's your best resource for trails and such: WTA Database

So, I guess it depends on what your hopes are for siteseeing and what your plans are for lodging.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/17/2021 at 10:22 PM, NWBuck said:

The Leavenworth idea ain't bad... but east of there is pretty bland. However, some of the best hiking in the state is in that area, up Icicle Creek.

Further north, Highway 20 is just open in the last week or so- that would be my suggestion.... north to Mukilteo, ferry to Whidbey, through Deception Pass, over to Mt. Vernon (much cooler little downtown than Burlington, if you're looking for a place to get lunch). Back up to 20 and along the southern edge of the NCNP.

Three options from there:

• When you get to Twisp, you could go south on 153 to Chelan (Lake Chelan is nice) and then head east to Spokane... high desert vistas
  • Follow 20 to Omak, then 153 through Grand Coulee (DAMN!) and then onto Spokane
  • Follow 20 all the way to Colville, then 395 into Spokane (more green/mountains)

If I was with my father in law, we'd do the dam (he's a bridge engineer). If it was just me, I'd take 20 all the way to Colville, and then into Spokane (I'd probably car-camp and do some day hikes). If you're looking for some hiking options, here's your best resource for trails and such: WTA Database

So, I guess it depends on what your hopes are for siteseeing and what your plans are for lodging.

Extremely helpful, thank you.  

• Hook 'Em 1