2021 nba playoff pool

BigOrange1

$25 winner take all (unless the majority would rather do $50).

you pick the winner and how many games the series' lasts.  if you get the correct number of games, you get a 5 point bonus (note - in rounds 2-4, you must have the correct matchup in order to be eligible for any bonus points).

1st round - 10 points/matchup, 2nd round, 20 points/matchup, 3rd round, 30 points/matchup, finals, 40 points. 

everyone will just make their picks on this thread.  the play in tournaments kind of mess things up a little, as we won't use them for this contest so everyone will need to get their picks in ASAP once the play in round ends and the first round begins.

entry fee can be paid via either paypal or venmo.

$25 or $50 doesn't matter I'll take all of your money anyway. 

Jest aside - I'd actually vote $25. NBA playoff brackets are just a big series of futures that can change at any given minute and I'm not a huge fan of throwing money away on stuff like that. But I'm down and will play either way. 

Edited by ztejas

just a reminder that everyone will need to get their picks in pretty quickly as the first game tomorrow tips at 1:00.  tonight's game should be over around 10:30.

if you haven't already given your opinion on $25 vs. $50.  just do so when you post your picks.  majority will rule.

Here is my entry.

*Prefer $50 but don't care.

**I will enter one for my 11 yo later (that he picks) and if the group is good with it, cool. No worries either way. 

***Reserve the right to change my pick for the Jazz series later tonight if Memphis wins. Or if I'm drunk. I promise I'm not drunk yet. 

Spoiler

Rd 1

Utah 5

LAC 6

Portland 6

LAL 7

Philly 5

NY 7

MIL 6

Brooklyn 6

Rd 2

LAC 7

LAL 5

Philly 5

MIL 7

Conf Finals

LAC 6

Philly 6

Finals

Philly in 6

Edited by Baboontyme

56 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Here is my entry.

*Prefer $50 but don't care.

**I will enter one for my 11 yo later (that he picks) and if the group is good with it, cool. No worries either way. 

***Reserve the right to change my pick for the Jazz series later tonight if Memphis wins. Or if I'm drunk. I promise I'm not drunk yet. 

Reveal hidden contents

Rd 1

Utah 7

LAC 6

Portland 6

LAL 7

Philly 5

NY 7

MIL 6

Brooklyn 6

Rd 2

LAC 7

LAL 5

Philly 5

MIL 7

Conf Finals

LAC 6

Philly 6

Finals

Philly in 6

i've had a couple buddies join the pool in recent years, so your kid is in. 👌🏼 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

JR picks

Utah 5

LAC 5

Den 6

LAL 6

PHI 4

NY 7

MIA 7

BRK 6

Utah 6

LAL 5

PHI 5

BRK 7

Utah 6

PHI 7

PHI 7

Tell junior his picks suck and he’s going to lose all his money.

jk- how old is he?  If he’s less than high school props to you for teaching him gambling early. I started talking point spreads with my son, booking his action and making him keep a gambling journal when he was 7. 

31 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

1st round:
Philly-5
Hawks-6
Bucks-5
Nets-5
Utah-5
Clippers-5
Portland-6
Lakers-6

2nd round
Philly-6
Nets-7
Clippers-6
Lakers-6

Conference finals
Nets-7
Lakers-6

Finals
Nets-6

We only differ in 2 first round series. One of us is potentially eliminated in round 1. 

21 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Baboon Jr is 11. I'm covering his entry but if he wins, it's all his so long as he does not spend it all on Fortnite V Bucks. 

I edited my picks to change from Utah 7 in Rd 1 (when I thought GSW would win) to Utah in 5. I'm final now. 

I make mine use his own money. But he’s also only allowed to bet like $3.00 at a time max. He’s 8 now. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

philly over wizards in 5

nets over celtics in 5

bucks over heat in 6

hawks over knicks in 7

jazz over grizz in 5

lakers over suns in 7

nuggets over blazers in 6

clippers over mavs in 6

philly over hawks in 5

nets over bucks in 7

clippers over jazz in 7

lakers over nuggets in 6

nets over philly in 7

lakers over clippers in 7

nets over lakers in 6

prefer $50

Just wanted to say way too tight of a window this year. Next year if y'all/we do this it needs to be before the play in games. Part of nailing it will be calling the play-ins correctly. 5 people is silly. I would have for sure been in. But maybe the strategy was to get people like me out of the pool. 

there was no "strategy" to eliminate "people like you".  it was setup the same way as march madness.  there are typically no more than 7 or 8 people who enter this anyway.  i got drunk off my ass on friday night and spent most of saturday afternoon passed the fuck out on the couch but was still able to wake up for 5 minutes and enter my picks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

But he is correct in this sense- if you want to you should be able to pick after the 7 seed is set and just call it- 8 seed- and make the prediction that way.  That's how we do it with the stupid 11 seed games- you get either one when you pick them both.  No reason we couldn't do that same with generic 8 seed.  

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

yeah that's fine, this was brand new this year and i'm open to feedback going forward.  the "maybe the strategy was to get people like me out of the pool" is what had me rolling my eyes.

He said he’s going through some personal struggles on the other thread and playoff hoops is his outlet. We’ve all been there I think at some time in our life. 

6 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

But he is correct in this sense- if you want to you should be able to pick after the 7 seed is set and just call it- 8 seed- and make the prediction that way.  That's how we do it with the stupid 11 seed games- you get either one when you pick them both.  No reason we couldn't do that same with generic 8 seed.  

I think that would work most years, but not in the West this year. Where the Lakers and Warriors were going to be seeded most definitely impacted my bracket and I wouldn't have made any picks until after the play-in games. But in the East you're probably right. The outcome of the Pacers/Wizards game really wasn't going to impact my picks.

7 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Where the Lakers and Warriors were going to be seeded most definitely impacted my bracket

Hence why he said after the 7 seed game. 

And I was kidding about keeping people out but that's what it did. At least 3 people by my count. 

And please don't apologize for ribbing me - it's why I come here. There's almost always something going on in my life - doesn't give me the right to be a cocky prick and doesn't take away your right to tell me to fuck off. I know where I am. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

end of round 2 (please feel free to double check me):

bigorange - 130

hornonthebayou, baboon - 100

wulaw - 95

baboon jr. - 60

baboon can get to 130 if the clippers win the west, that would result in he and i splitting the pot.  if phoenix wins the west, i take it.  again, please double check my work.

8 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

end of round 2 (please feel free to double check me):

bigorange - 130

hornonthebayou, baboon - 100

wulaw - 95

baboon jr. - 60

baboon can get to 130 if the clippers win the west, that would result in he and i splitting the pot.  if phoenix wins the west, i take it.  again, please double check my work.

I owe you $50?  Or hold onto it for now?