I lost my mother this weekend.

Brisketexan

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So, I wake up for the first time in a world without my mother.  As we all will someday, if the order of things stays as we would hope.  And my father wakes up alone for the first time in over half a century.

Not the first time I've shared this, but it's something that has helped me - The Sioux (and many other Native Americans) believed that no living thing ever "dies".  The spirit, which is contained in an "Earth Suit" simply has to go in search of a new suit when the old one wears out.  Dad died when I was six, but he's not gone.  He's right there.  We talk a lot.  Most of the time it's a thought, feeling, or intuition, but it's there and it's real.

Your mom ain't gone, not even from the planet.  Like a lightbulb that burns out the energy isn't lost.  It's somewhere, in fact, it's everywhere.  

So is she.

• Like 3

I’m very sorry for your loss.  Mama Brisket sounds like she was a great lady.  I was going to suggest that if you ever needed a side hustle you could write obituaries for folks less adept at storytelling, but those wouldn’t come from the heart like this one did, and would probably fall a bit short.  A beautiful tribute to your mom, and I’m going grab a dozen raw oysters in her honor this evening.

@Brisketexan

Brother, I will pray for your mother tonight. May you and your loved ones be safe. 

Maybe we need a thread of being thankful for our mothers. I lost mine last year and everyday I think about the awesome impact she had on my life. She made me a good man and I will always be grateful. 

Be blessed my man. 

I was thinking of your mom over the weekend, and I remembered what was probably the first time I spent any real time with her.

It was a weekend at the beach house. I believe it was the time you caught that nice trout in the back of Christmas. You grilled it with whatever else we were having for dinner and everyone shared a little bit of the fish around the table. Then I broke out that bottle of Maker's Mark I had brought along, and we sat around that little kitchen table and drank and chatted into the night. I remember mom sipping on a glass or maybe two, and you and I put a pretty good dent in the bottle. She was asking me where I was from and all that, and I told her about growing up with my grandparents. I always kind of dreaded that as a kid, because the next question was usually "why?"...Growing up it was hard to tell your friend's parents, or the parents of the girl you were picking up, that you lived with your grandparents because your dad was a heroin addict convict and your mom was a wandering drunk... but she never asked why. It wasn't until later, when I knew her better, and you had told me about her own childhood that it clicked with me why she didn't ask. She didn't ask because she didn't have to. She already knew what it meant, so there was no reason to make me uncomfortable. She would also have understood how important my family was to me...for the same reasons hers was to her. Because neither of us took having a family for granted. I think her giving me that big hug and complementing little Rojo like that was about the most beautiful goodbye she could have given me. 

And man, she could sling bullshit on par with any SETX refinery worker I ever met. The story about her telling your then girlfriend, now wife that she was going to have to learn to clean ducks and filet fish if she wanted to fit into the family still cracks me up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, Whatever said:

I just said a prayer for you, Brisket. I assume all subsequent posts in the Shank thread under your handle will be homages to her.

She taught me how to enjoy the pleasure of canned vienna sausages with mustard at the beach as a child, so it would only be proper to honor her contributions to my culinary appreciation skills.

We're actually sitting in a beachhouse right in front of the one they owned for many years.  Kind of bittersweet looking back and seeing it.  But...I know she would have appreciated today's lunch and snacks of gas station fried chicken (Krispy Krunchy Chicken is outstanding, and I will brook no dissent), and fritos with jalapeno bean dip.  Today's crabs are boiled and in the fridge, and ready to join shrimp tomorrow night -- and she did love a good boil at the beach.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

She taught me how to enjoy the pleasure of canned vienna sausages with mustard at the beach as a child, so it would only be proper to honor her contributions to my culinary appreciation skills.

My dear mom got me started on those canned vienna sausages. Loved them back in the day.