2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Paul George isn't that dude. 

Paul George literally peaked 6-7 years ago and people just dust it under the rug and pretend like that isn't reality. Probably because he had a nice regular season with OKC a couple years back before totally flaming out in the playoffs again. He had more win shares in the playoffs in 2014 than he has in the past 5 playoffs combined. Statistically he had his best playoff series ever 5 years ago when he was 25.

He used to be a legit potential #2 option on a Finals team if not a weaker #1 option like a Paul Pierce or Billups or Kawhi in 2014 and now at best his ceiling is 3rd banana on a title team. 

I'd almost rather have CJ McCollum and CJ is a horrific choke artist himself barely worth half his contract. 

• Hook 'Em 1

PG is just way too inefficient from the outside to be a #2 on offense. At least in the playoffs. Pretty much have to tell him to put his head down and wildly attack the basket. Sorta worked in the 2nd half of the last game. He got to the line a handful of times and drew some and 1s. At least he's a good defender unlike Porzingis. 

I really like Giannis and watching him play.    Him taking 8 threes last night was absolutely sickening.   In the first quarter they were moving the ball and getting pretty good shots and shooting a high percentage then they went back to the iso heavy play.  

Him shooting 8  threes is a complete organizational failure.     He shouldn't even shoot one but they insist on having him up top with the ball like he is LBJ.    That leads his guy to dare him to shoot giving him 5-10 ft and everyone keeps insisting that he has to add that to his game so he keeps shooting it.   God forbid he actually hits one.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, pops said:

Utah is so much better defensively than the mavs it's silly

This is no surprise. Dallas is god awful on defense and made the Clippers look like the Steph/Curry/Klay Warriors too often. I underestimated the Jazz and overestimated the Clippers. I had recent bias watching the Clippers destroy us so often when it mattered and thought the Clippers were legit. I mean, they still can turn this series around coming back to LA but they 3 of 4 to Dallas at home and their home court is almost non existent in terms of atmosphere. The big difference is the LAC's role players are being contained much more compared to the Dallas series. And Kawhi does not look like his old self so far.

Clippers blew their chance in game 1 blowing that big lead to take an early series lead to at least get a split. Now they need to win 4 of 5. And as you eluded to earlier, this is not Dallas who they also trailed 0-2. Maybe Mitchell being banged up can help them. Hope he isn't too banged up as he is fun as hell to watch and would hope he is good to go for next series if they beat LA.

And Kawhi seems more tired later in the game than the Dallas series. Utah's defense is making him work. They have rim protectors so they can play man to man and make LAC earn their shit. Dallas played so much zone and they were able to easily find the soft spots and get easy buckets inside or kick it out for wide open shots. Kawhi looked like he wanted no part of the ball last night in the 4th which was the complete opposite of his series against Dallas. If it wasn't for Reggie Jackson in the 3rd, that would have been a 20pt loss. Kawhi looks to be about on 20% battery charge compared to 95% last series. 

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is no surprise. Dallas is god awful on defense and made the Clippers look like the Steph/Curry/Klay Warriors too often. I underestimated the Jazz and overestimated the Clippers. I had recent bias watching the Clippers destroy us so often when it mattered and thought the Clippers were legit. I mean, they still can turn this series around coming back to LA but they 3 of 4 to Dallas at home and their home court is almost non existent in terms of atmosphere. The big difference is the LAC's role players are being contained much more compared to the Dallas series. And Kawhi does not look like his old self so far.

Clippers blew their chance in game 1 blowing that big lead to take an early series lead to at least get a split. Now they need to win 4 of 5. And as you eluded to earlier, this is not Dallas who they also trailed 0-2. Maybe Mitchell being banged up can help them. Hope he isn't too banged up as he is fun as hell to watch and would hope he is good to go for next series if they beat LA.

If the Clippers were going anywhere they wouldn't have taken 7 games to beat the Mavs.  I do agree with Cuban that they have a 4 guys that are good and that 2 of the 4 just need to be on to beat a team like the Mavs. Maves have about 2 guys that are good and need both guys to be on to beat a team like the Clippers.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I tend to think this isn’t a big deal especially since KD and PJ are literally best friends.

Especially being KD's bodyguard you would think he would know that and not come flying and escalate things.     Its pretty rare for security to come rushing in with two guys just jawing at one another in the first place.    

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Man this guy

Man, fuck ESPN. Fuckers have taken like $7 directly from everyone's cable bill for the past 40 years, and they have the nerve to hide their few real talents behind a paywall. Meanwhile, on their homepage, I don't even have to scroll down to find a half dozen videos of Stephen A acting indignant about whatever transpired the night before across the sports' landscape.

If you're so hard up for extra money, why not charge the people who apparently need to hear Stephen A's Hot Takes That He Doesn't Actually Believe with their morning coffee?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, d2o said:

I really like Giannis and watching him play.    Him taking 8 threes last night was absolutely sickening.   In the first quarter they were moving the ball and getting pretty good shots and shooting a high percentage then they went back to the iso heavy play.  

Him shooting 8  threes is a complete organizational failure.     He shouldn't even shoot one but they insist on having him up top with the ball like he is LBJ.    That leads his guy to dare him to shoot giving him 5-10 ft and everyone keeps insisting that he has to add that to his game so he keeps shooting it.   God forbid he actually hits one.

Brooklyn doesn't care how much Giannis shoots. And they don't care how much they foul him because he can't hit free throws. They aren't going to sell out to let him get MIL's role guys going. They will live with 40 from Giannis every night. 

Meanwhile - you have to guard Durant from 3 - you can't foul him past the bonus - and when you double him you are opening space for guys like Kyrie and Harris. Milwaukee got away with it last night because Harris was so poor (and KD and Kyrie both had poor shooting nights) but they are not going to get away with it 3 more times. 

Unless Bud changes the offense that he's been implementing for years now overnight, the %s will even out again and MIL will be lucky to force a game 6. 

(And look at that - BKN is -1 for game 4)

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Brooklyn doesn't care how much Giannis shoots. And they don't care how much they foul him because he can't hit free throws. They aren't going to sell out to let him get MIL's role guys going. They will live with 40 from Giannis every night. 

Meanwhile - you have to guard Durant from 3 - you can't foul him past the bonus - and when you double him you are opening space for guys like Kyrie and Harris. Milwaukee got away with it last night because Harris was so poor (and KD and Kyrie both had poor shooting nights) but they are not going to get away with it 3 more times. 

Unless Bud changes the offense that he's been implementing for years now overnight, the %s will even out again and MIL will be lucky to force a game 6. 

I've said Bud was the problem for 3-4 yrs now.   They brought in Jrue to run the offense and get things moving and then they go stick him in a corner.    Either Bud has never sat down and told Giannis that he needs to get off the ball more and stop shooting 3s or he has and Giannis has completely ignored.    I'm positive its the former but either way its way past time for Bud to go.   They've gone as far as they can with him.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Man, fuck ESPN. Fuckers have taken like $7 directly from everyone's cable bill for the past 40 years, and they have the nerve to hide their few real talents behind a paywall. Meanwhile, on their homepage, I don't even have to scroll down to find a half dozen videos of Stephen A acting indignant about whatever transpired the night before across the sports' landscape.

If you're so hard up for extra money, why not charge the people who apparently need to hear Stephen A's Hot Takes That He Doesn't Actually Believe with their morning coffee?

If you want to watch highlights on their webpage, you have to sit through a 20 ad just to watch a 15 second clip, then another ad before the next play, etc. 

If you’re on a computer, good luck finding the standings or even the scores you want. But you’ll find plenty of Stephen A hot takes.

due to Ayton's inexplicable history of playing his absolute best ball vs Jokic, as well as CP3's inability to stay healthy, i could see PHX winning this series 4-1, becoming everyone's new darling, only to turn around and lose 4-1 to the Jazz. this is almost an ideal matchup for this PHX team in this place and time. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

due to Ayton's inexplicable history of playing his absolute best ball vs Jokic, as well as CP3's inability to stay healthy, i could see PHX winning this series 4-1, becoming everyone's new darling, only to turn around and lose 4-1 to the Jazz. this is almost an ideal matchup for this PHX team in this place and time. 

I think Denver wore themselves out in that first round series and is now playing a better and deeper team. They are going to need 70 combined from Jokic and MPJ to win any of these games. And I'm not sure that's going to happen. 

• Like 1