2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

It's why he'd contend the Spurs first title was bogus, I'm sure.

I've never said the Lakers title last year was bogus. But some of the individual and team numbers should certainly be asterisked. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

It’s almost like those numbers are worse. 

When you ignore the 10 assists per game like a moron I suppose. I'm done. You have no idea what you're talking about. Without knowing I'd say you're probably a Mavs fan. Sucks to suck.

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Ok, but acting like Mitchell is some spare who only did something in a fluke Covid year when he’s the best player on the team with the league’s best record and has been lighting up this year’s playoffs is kind of strange.

More strawmen. Mitchell is great. Trae is better. Swap Mitchell and Trae and holy shit this Jazz team would be unbeatable.

Just now, ztejas said:

When you ignore the 10 assists per game like a moron I suppose. I'm done. You have no idea what you're talking about. Without knowing I'd say you're probably a Mavs fan. Sucks to suck.

Oh sorry I just can’t keep up with what stats count and what stats don’t. You clearly are too big brain for the rest of us. Not a Mavs fan but whatever you need to tell yourself to make you feel better about it.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh sorry I just can’t keep up with what stats count and what stats don’t.

The whole premise was right now in 2021. So I'm comparing 2021 playoff stats. I don't care what Mitchell did in an empty gym in a first round series loss when I'm talking about who I'd rather take right now going forward. You also have a knack for ignoring arguments like Trae's playmaking and ability to elevate a worse roster that I have yet to hear counter arguments for. 

Just now, ztejas said:

The whole premise was right now in 2021. So I'm comparing 2021 playoff stats. I don't care what Mitchell did in an empty gym in a first round series loss when I'm talking about who I'd rather take right now going forward. You also have a knack for ignoring arguments like Trae's playmaking and ability to elevate a worse roster that I have yet to hear counter arguments for. 

Hey ignore previous stats that provide context to this argument because I only wanna talk about now but I also want to ignore the stats I don’t like.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I hate OU too, guys, but if you can't appreciate the insanity that is Trae Young right now I don't know what to tell you. He is Curry 2.0 and it's showing and he might get this Hawks team to the ECF. 

Multiple members of my family attended OU and played sports there. 
You think Trae is Curry 2.0? Holy shit man, I was joking before but mix in some water. Good god. He’s so good the he “might” make it to a conference finals. Put him in the HOF right now.

Edited by hobbes2702

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Multiple members of my family attended OU and played sports there. 
You think Trae is Curry 2.0? Holy shit man, I was joking before but mix in some water. Good god. He’s so good the he “might” make it to a conference finals. Put him in the HOF right now.

Me being "too drunk" because you don't understand what I'm trying to tell you is super rich. 

You simply don't understand basketball at a high enough level to realize how ridiculous what Trae is doing right now is. If you think the Jazz minus Mitchell with Snyder coaching and the Hawks minus Trae with McMillan coaching are somehow comparable you shouldn't be engaging in this discussion.

As far as HOF goes I'd put both my kidneys on the line right now that Trae winds up there. It's almost like 5 posts ago I showed that he's the youngest player with a 25/18 in NBA playoff history - in a real playoffs - not a Mickey Mouse one like we held last year. 

3 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

John Collins was huge for the Hawks tonight.

And Embiid going 0-12 or so in the 2nd half was a big reason the Hawks aren't down 3-1 in the series.

Yeah John Collins 6/15 from the field was really huge. Unlike Trae he didn't have 18 dimes. 

This is such a waste of time. 

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yes your understanding of basketball is simply far beyond us mere mortals who’ve just been watching and playing our whole lives.
Forgive me for not realizing that you were a combination of CP3, Phil, and Red. 

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You’re welcome to stop posting. Why waste your time

We just disagree, man. I've enjoyed this convo and appreciated the lack of negs. Maybe I see something in Trae that you don't, maybe you see something in Mitchell that I don't. 

If anything I was simply trying to adjust for some OU hate bias and point out how incredible Trae has been in these playoffs. I'm not taking away anything from Mitchell - I audibly expressed my appreciation over the weekend when I saw he had 5 straight 30 point outings. I just think Trae is a bit more special.

Surly gonna surly. Happy trails my friend. 

(I also tend to be a bit insecure and take it out inappropriately at times and I apologize - I love hoops and have watched and played my whole life just like you have)

Edited by ztejas

Well this is a very weird way to provide support for a position because it's an appeal to authority, but I don't think particularly highly of any of the authorities I'm bringing forth. But I saw that Simmons/Russillo did a top-40 last night (so fuck you and fuck me for having to listen to that just now) and each had Mitchell over Trae (Interestingly, Simmons had the 4 guys from the other thread all in order with 12. Mitchell 13. Tatum 14. Trae 15. Booker)

And then the first Twitter result when I looked up "Mitchell Trae" was this:

So there are other ppl out there with no anti-OU sentiment that I'm aware of watching hoops who apparently fail to recognize Trae's supremacy 

13 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Well this is a very weird way to provide support for a position because it's an appeal to authority, but I don't think particularly highly of any of the authorities I'm bringing forth. But I saw that Simmons/Russillo did a top-40 last night (so fuck you and fuck me for having to listen to that just now) and each had Mitchell over Trae (Interestingly, Simmons had the 4 guys from the other thread all in order with 12. Mitchell 13. Tatum 14. Trae 15. Booker)

And then the first Twitter result when I looked up "Mitchell Trae" was this:

So there are other ppl out there with no anti-OU sentiment that I'm aware of watching hoops who apparently fail to recognize Trae's supremacy 

Jesus dude I'm tired. Quit reaching. Last night is not post Trae going 25/18 against the 1 seed in game 4. I bet if they redid it tonight they'd have a tough time putting Trae below 2nd among those 4. In fact, we can wait for the next podcast and I'd bet a decent amount of money Simmons says something along the lines of "I have to revisit where I had Trae Young". 

And no one anywhere in any corner of the globe should give a shit what Jalen Rose has to say about anything. We don't need to reduce ourselves to that.

(That also isn't an appeal to authority - they are couch sitters like the rest of us)

Simmons is also a Boston homer and overrates those guys any chance he gets. He thinks Bill Russell is the 2nd greatest player ever. I have no attachment to any of the teams those 4 are on and if anything would knock Trae down a peg for where he went to school. 

Edited by ztejas

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

I know the Jazz are making this respectable but they have gotten their ass kicked 2 games in a row. LA has played well more than the Jazz this series. They better wake the fuck up. Just glad we got some drama finally these playoffs after that meh 1st round. 

I think they prolly lose this series. They are set up to trim the margins with elite defense and elite 3point shooting but at some point your 2nd guy needs to be better, especially offensively, than Rudy Gobert. When the came bogs down in the playoffs they only have 1 shot creator and that’s a losing recipe in the playoffs 

Kawhi for me is like a bitch ex-girlfriend that you hate to the core of your being but she's still smoking hot if not hotter than when you dated her and you have to summon all of your strength to not text her and try and rekindle lost feelings because at the end of the day you just want to fuck. 

I guess what I'm saying is that he's a piece of shit shitbag and I hate him but I'd still fuck him.

Or... wait... you get what I'm saying. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I think they prolly lose this series. They are set up to trim the margins with elite defense and elite 3point shooting but at some point your 2nd guy needs to be better, especially offensively, than Rudy Gobert. When the came bogs down in the playoffs they only have 1 shot creator and that’s a losing recipe in the playoffs 

If they had Trae instead of Mitchell it would be smooth sailing.

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Get Out Of Here Keegan Michael Key GIF by Saturday Night Live

Loudest I've laughed all day. Thanks.

Y'all can't stand me sometimes but you're gonna miss me if I tragically die before my time. Go in for a nice wreath at my funeral. Not too nice though - something befitting of my burnout station in life. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Loudest I've laughed all day. Thanks.

Y'all can't stand me sometimes but you're gonna miss me if I tragically die before my time. Go in for a nice wreath at my funeral. Not too nice though - something befitting of my burnout station in life. 

The Big Lebowski Death GIF by Working Title

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The Big Lebowski Death GIF by Working Title

Not sure if you've kept up with the recent Lebowski quote thread but this is especially great because I mentioned this as my favorite scene in the movie. 

23 hours ago, ztejas said:

Coupled with Walter's eulogy this is my favorite line in the movie. Glad it got in on page 1.

It's rare for one of these to go 3 pages this quickly. I need to rewatch I guess. 

"Favorite line" being "what was that shit about Vietnam?"

Maybe the universe is telling us that you should buy me a nice scotch and we can split the bottle while debating the merits of NBA players that I really don't give a fuck about. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure if you've kept up with the recent Lebowski quote thread but this is especially great because I mentioned this as my favorite scene in the movie. 

"Favorite line" being "what was that shit about Vietnam?"

Maybe the universe is telling us that you should buy me a nice scotch and we can split the bottle while debating the merits of NBA players that I really don't give a fuck about. 

Look at the post above yours in that thread

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I hate OU too, guys, but if you can't appreciate the insanity that is Trae Young right now I don't know what to tell you. He is Curry 2.0 and it's showing and he might get this Hawks team to the ECF. 

Agree, and Ihated that little, baby bird hair motherfucker at OU, but I have to appreciate how good he has turned out to be in the league. And getting better

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Couple more points:

- Atlanta was down 18 at one point tonight

- This is Trae's first ever playoffs 

I dont care if y'all think I'm right or not - I just want to acknowledge what this dude is doing right now because it's just as special as what Luka was doing against the Clippers.

Jesus Christ, no it's not. Not statistically or contextually. The hawks roster is much better than the Mavs top to bottom. Would the Mavs trade KP and brunson straight up for Collins and Lou? Absolutely. Would Atlanta make that trade? They'd laugh in your face.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Coming into tonight Trae was averaging 29/10 on 45/34/92 so... 

And he's the focal point of the opposing team's defense every single night unlike Mitchell. 

Wait wha???  

Mitchell was doubled constantly the sec he crossed half court the other night.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just to highlight the ridiculousness of the comparison, the only thing Trae has been better at than Luka is FTs. Luka's 3P% shits on Trae on over double the attempts. Dude went for 36/8/10. He had a higher assist rate with a worse surrounding cast. He also had to bear a much higher usage rate. It's really not comparable.

image.thumb.png.dc69e8d931837b909048646c6157cc7e.pngimage.thumb.png.19ac2baf5bc3bb95fed6b89246b6b2a5.png

Steph 2.0 has always been a really poor, unfair comparison for Trae. Other than shooting the occasional deep 3, their games aren't all that similar. Dude's a 34% 3pt shooter; the best thing that he did for his game this year was start taking less of them. But Trae was a better, more natural passer from day 1 than Steph has been at any point in his career. He's more Steve Nash meets James Harden.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Life is funny. I don’y particularly like James Harden. I mean- he’s very hard to like. He has no external personality. He’s not athletically interesting. His game is extremely efficient, but efficient isn’t fun. Blah blah blah. 
but then I see posts on here all the time giving people a pass for being the lone superstar, or talking about guys getting doubled over half court or people saying Dame needs to ask out and I’m like- this is all shit Harden had to deal with forever and nobody ever makes excuses for him. 
It’s like- this dude- while kind of unlikeable or whatever is also awesome and people shot all over him for stuff that others get a pass for, and it makes me root for him just out of a sense of fairness. 
now- he has a chance to show what he could have done all these years on a super team and he gets hurt for the first time in his career. Dude can’t catch a break. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Harden had 3 superstar teammates in Houston. Couldn't get along with late prime Dwight. Couldn't get along with still excellent CP3. Wanted to play with Russ even though anyone with eyes could tell that that pairing would be a disaster. 

Was all in on running an offense that involved him dribbling the ball at the top of the key for 20 seconds every possession, then had his coach try to use fatigue as the reason for poor postseason play.

Combine those things with some pretty awful showings--including a trio of 2-11 elimination games--and it's not a huge shock that he didn't get the leeway of other, more likeable stars.

I will say that watching him on a team that allows him to showcase his offense genius in a manner that's actually aesthetically palatable has been pretty cool, so it's a bummer that he's out.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1