2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I love KD. 
The fact that we have that thread on here asking if he’s one of us is the greatest discredit to a longhorn board ever. 

That thread title makes me cringe every time I see it.

He's only the greatest professional athlete from Texas ever and has donated millions and millions to the university. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Eh, he had 34 and 12 on 65% shooting. He’s a center. They finally spent some time feeding him on the block and he did well. They need to quit pretending he’s Lebron

cant shoot free throws, wouldn't guard kd down the stretch, fumbled the ball away on their biggest possession of the game, shot a fadeaway over a gimpy harden, etc, etc

• Hook 'Em 1

They’re not gonna get much sleep tonight after squandering that lead and a terrible game from Harden. Brooklyn needs to close it out on 6 or else I think Milwaukee wins in 7.

Does Kyrie return this playoffs at all? Or does winning in 6 and hoping Atl/Phi go 7 increase his chances of playing in the next series?
Why would you trust Milwaukee on the road in a game 7? What have they shown that makes you think they will figure it out? They just blew a 16 pt lead. And made Jeff Green look like an all star.

As the half time crew said, this is a dumb team.

I know several of you think highly of the coach. But c'mon he's kinda developing a pattern. Maybe he should trying coaching up his team and exploiting mismatches.

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

cant shoot free throws, wouldn't guard kd down the stretch, fumbled the ball away on their biggest possession of the game, shot a fadeaway over a gimpy harden, etc, etc

I’m not saying he’s perfect but 34 and 12 is still 34 and 12. It’s not like he had garbage time buckets. At some point all those problems you listed are only problems because he’s trying to be Lebron instead of trying to be Shaq.

• Hook 'Em 2

Harden shot like shit and wasn't himself but his effort tonight will end up being underrated. He played pretty good D for the most part and just to have a ball handler out there with KD that could orchestrate a bit and control the pace helped. 

Props to him for giving it a go and risking injury. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

They’re not gonna get much sleep tonight after squandering that lead and a terrible game from Harden. Brooklyn needs to close it out on 6 or else I think Milwaukee wins in 7.

Does Kyrie return this playoffs at all? Or does winning in 6 and hoping Atl/Phi go 7 increase his chances of playing in the next series?

Nah, they need to rest up in game 6 and be ready for game 7 in Brooklyn. KD playing 48 minutes and Harden limping around should tell you all you need to know. 

Maybe try in the first half and see how it goes, but that's it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Why would you trust Milwaukee on the road in a game 7? What have they shown that makes you think they will figure it out? They just blew a 16 pt lead. And made Jeff Green look like an all star.

As the half time crew said, this is a dumb team.

I know several of you think highly of the coach. But c'mon he's kinda developing a pattern. Maybe he should trying coaching up his team and exploiting mismatches.

Because it took a once in a life time game from KD to beat them. I understand that hardens not going to go 1-10 also. But lots of pressure on Brooklyn if it goes to 7, considering what they gave up for harden

Plus their reserves are absolute shit. Milwaukee isn’t stellar either but they have Lopez, Middleton and holiday to counter just harden

No I’m not putting my mortgage on it

8 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Nah, they need to rest up in game 6 and be ready for game 7 in Brooklyn. KD playing 48 minutes and Harden limping around should tell you all you need to know. 

Maybe try in the first half and see how it goes, but that's it. 

I agree. Think this is going 7. But then again - I'm the biggest Durant fan in the universe and I'm still in disbelief at what just transpired so what do I know?

As far as Kyrie - I think his ankle is pretty fucked. You don't boot just an average ankle sprain. MAYBE he could go G7 but I'd think something more like game 3 or 4 of the ECF assuming they get there. 

One of the funniest things about this season has been how quickly KD has broken Nets franchise records. He broke multiple things earlier this season like consecutive 30 point games or most points through first x games as a Net - stuff like that - and it's now taken him just 10 games to break their single game playoff scoring record. 

Pretty beleaguered franchise. Cool to see how quickly they have all fallen in love with him. They've never had a guy like this. 

Glad he went there and not somewhere like Boston or Miami. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Because it took a once in a life time game from KD to beat them.

Maybe it is maybe it isn't. He had 45 and 50 back to back in 2019 in the playoffs (and those were his 2nd and 3rd 45 point outings that playoffs). His career average in the Finals is like 33 ppg. He won't do this but he could easily give them 40 again. And their role players were garbo tonight outside of Green and Blake Griffin. 

Edited by ztejas

Maybe it is maybe it isn't. He had 45 and 50 back to back in 2019 in the playoffs (and those were his 2nd and 3rd 45 point outings that playoffs). His career average in the Finals is like 33 ppg. He won't do this but he could easily give them 40 again. And their role players were garbo tonight outside of Green and Blake Griffin. 

I’m not doubting he’ll score his points…I’m talking the minutes played + points scored was 2nd highest in nba history

49 points on 23 shots is insane. And he notched a triple double in the process. If there was anything close to a perfect game in bball, this was in the running

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m not doubting he’ll score his points…I’m talking the minutes played + points scored was 2nd highest in nba history

49 points on 23 shots is insane. And he notched a triple double in the process. If there was anything close to a perfect game in bball, this was in the running

No. I get it. Just saying I would have never thought he could do what he did tonight going in and I was comparing him to prime Bird during the regular season and saying he's playing at one of the highest levels ever. 

So I'm just nitpicking your "once in a lifetime". He may drop 55 in the Finals later this playoffs. You really can't rule anything out after a performance like that. 

No. I get it. Just saying I would have never thought he could do what he did tonight going in and I was comparing him to prime Bird during the regular season and saying he's playing at one of the highest levels ever. 
So I'm just nitpicking your "once in a lifetime". He may drop 55 in the Finals later this playoffs. You really can't rule anything out after a performance like that. 

They were saying Havlicek is the only one to play all 48 and score more, 47 years ago is what I’m referencing to once in a lifetime

KD did this tonight:

only instead of it being in some no-defense, ball-in-the-park game vs scrubs, it was in a crucial playoff game 5 against a two-time MVP who was playing with a better supporting cast. Oh and KD's team was losing when he did it.

in my sports watching life, it's only been KD and VY who i've seen make the most unbelievable plays look absolutely routine on the biggest stage, over, and over, and over again. like, they win games for their teams where they make  5-10 "did-you-see-that?!?!" type plays in quick succession with their season in the balance, and with even just one of those plays going differently then they and their team lose. and yet neither one of them looks even remotely stressed or worried or tired as they do it. we are unbelievably spoiled as Texas fans to have been able to bear witness to the greatness of these two over the last 15-20 years. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

KD did this tonight:

only instead of it being in some no-defense, ball-in-the-park game vs scrubs, it was in a crucial playoff game 5 against a two-time MVP who was playing with a better supporting cast. Oh and KD's team was losing when he did it.

in my sports watching life, it's only been KD and VY who i've seen make the most unbelievable plays look absolutely routine on the biggest stage, over, and over, and over again. like, they win games for their teams where they make  5-10 "did-you-see-that?!?!" type plays in quick succession with their season in the balance. and neither one of them looks even remotely stressed or worried as they do it. we are unbelievably spoiled as Texas fans to have been able to bear witness to the greatness of these two over the last 15-20 years.

I think the list is a bit longer than just KD and Vince but they are certainly similarly effortless and icy.

I mean, you watched Tiger Woods play golf, right?

58 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I agree. Think this is going 7. But then again - I'm the biggest Durant fan in the universe and I'm still in disbelief at what just transpired so what do I know?

As far as Kyrie - I think his ankle is pretty fucked. You don't boot just an average ankle sprain. MAYBE he could go G7 but I'd think something more like game 3 or 4 of the ECF assuming they get there. 

He's already been declared out for the series.  It's probably ECF or bust for him.  Maybe NBA Finals at the rate he recovers..... being the anti-Wolverine.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

yeah, but that's a solo sport where it's Tiger vs himself and the course. KD and VY elite/supremely talented athletes trying their damndest to stop them, and they're just casually like, "nah, ima run this ball in from 65 yards out, leaving five jock straps in my wake", or, "nah, i'm just gonna take this handoff 30 feet from the basket with 2 seconds left on the shot clock and a man all over me and calmly drain my fourth consecutive three." ho hum. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How about this: Durant's now had 5 40-point outings in his last 16 playoff games - not counting partial games in 2019 where he got hurt. And in four of those he's had at least 45.

For the playoffs - he's also now tied for the 5th most 40 point games in NBA history and 5th most 35 point games in NBA history.

He's 6th in 30 point outings, 5th in 25 point outings (this one is actually the most absurd that he's that high already - he's had 25 points in 112/148 playoff games) and 7th in 20 point outings. 

(3rd in career playoff ppg if anyone's curious)

Edited by ztejas

8 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Green and Griffin were also excellent, so I won't say KD did it all himself, but that was as close to a one-man show as I've seen in a long time. Very Jordanesque, and I mean that in a good way.

Just absolutely ruthless and clinical ... on both ends of the court. Definitely a legacy-building moment.

Good thing the Bucks decided to guard KD with a 6'4 dude.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

KD did this tonight:

in my sports watching life, it's only been KD and VY who i've seen make the most unbelievable plays look absolutely routine on the biggest stage, over, and over, and over again. like, they win games for their teams where they make  5-10 "did-you-see-that?!?!" type plays in quick succession with their season in the balance, and with even just one of those plays going differently then they and their team lose. and yet neither one of them looks even remotely stressed or worried or tired as they do it. we are unbelievably spoiled as Texas fans to have been able to bear witness to the greatness of these two over the last 15-20 years. 

This is exactly what I was thinking in the 4Q.   He went complete supernova.   It didnt matter who was guarding him.   It didnt matter where he shot it from you just knew it was going in.   Only game in recent memory close to this is that MIA LBJ game 5 (or was it 6) in BOS.  

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Good thing the Bucks decided to guard KD with a 6'4 dude.

Like I said after the last game, I REALLY like Giannis but these last couple games have completely exposed him.    There is not one single reason he shouldn't have said, "fuck all this!   I got KD"   If he gets roasted so be it, dude is one of the best offensive players ever but to not even take a single possession on him is fucking inexcusable!!!!!

On the other end, he can do nothing but bull rush to basket.  There is no reason for him to ever shoot outside of 8 ft and FTs................................................

This is all on Bud though.     When Jrue runs the offense, they move the ball and get good shots for everyone yet the have 20-30 possessions (or more) every game with Giannis up top pounding the ball trying to figure out if he can beat a defense who know EXACTLY what he is going to do.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, d2o said:

Like I said after the last game, I REALLY like Giannis but these last couple games have completely exposed him.    There is not one single reason he shouldn't have said, "fuck all this!   I got KD"   If he gets roasted so be it, dude is one of the best offensive players ever but to not even take a single possession on him is fucking inexcusable!!!!!

On the other end, he can do nothing but bull rush to basket.  There is no reason for him to ever shoot outside of 8 ft and FTs................................................

This is all on Bud though.     When Jrue runs the offense, they move the ball and get good shots for everyone yet the have 20-30 possessions (or more) every game with Giannis up top pounding the ball trying to figure out if he can beat a defense who know EXACTLY what he is going to do.

Yeah, Giannis needs to nut up and say "i got him". As for Budenholzer, maybe send a double team on the giant tree who shoots over everyone and get the ball out of his hands....just repeatedly letting the guy do what's comfortable, you're gonna have a bad time.

Of course it seems weird to be criticizing a coach or saying the coaching is holding the Bucks back, when Steve Nash is on the other sideline literally proving that coaching actually doesn't matter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah, Giannis needs to nut up and say "i got him". As for Budenholzer, maybe send a double team on the giant tree who shoots over everyone and get the ball out of his hands....just repeatedly letting the guy do what's comfortable, you're gonna have a bad time.

Of course it seems weird to be criticizing a coach or saying the coaching is holding the Bucks back, when Steve Nash is on the other sideline literally proving that coaching actually doesn't matter.

If Giannis had a game that he could at anytime say "fuck it, I'm scoring" like KD can then we wouldn't be talking about Bud either but alas.........

5 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

That's overly simplistic on all counts. The Bucks got away with murder trying to deny him the ball or force him to give it up for two games and he still averaged 30 pts per. Different refs, different rules. They clearly decided to let KD get his and try to limit the other guys. It almost worked. I fully expect next game they will be allowed to wrestle KD all game again and probably win by 6 unless Harden miraculously heals up.

Also overly harsh on Nash. What coaching gaffes did you see in that game? "Hey guys, uh, give the ball to KD, be ready to shoot an open 3 when it comes your way, maybe think about some backdoor cuts every once in a while? Ready, break!" That's actually sound when KD is on his shit and the refs aren't fucking with you. I though Nash should have deliberately gotten a tech in the previous game to protest the refs malfeasance. Other than that I'm not sure what you want the man to do.

Your broader point that coaching doesn't matter I think is true, though. All those mic'd up segments with coaches are ridiculous. Quinn Snyder who is supposed to be a great coach sounds exactly like my 7th grade alcoholic coach -- "Get back on defense, grab some rebounds, take good shots." Uh, thanks for pointing all that out there coach.

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

That's overly simplistic on all counts. The Bucks got away with murder trying to deny him the ball or force him to give it up for two games and he still averaged 30 pts per. Different refs, different rules. They clearly decided to let KD get his and try to limit the other guys. It almost worked. I fully expect next game they will be allowed to wrestle KD all game again and probably win by 6 unless Harden miraculously heals up.

Also overly harsh on Nash. What coaching gaffes did you see in that game? "Hey guys, uh, give the ball to KD, be ready to shoot an open 3 when it comes your way, maybe think about some backdoor cuts every once in a while? Ready, break!" That's actually sound when KD is on his shit and the refs aren't fucking with you. I though Nash should have deliberately gotten a tech in the previous game to protest the refs malfeasance. Other than that I'm not sure what you want the man to do.

Your broader point that coaching doesn't matter I think is true, though. All those mic'd up segments with coaches are ridiculous. Quinn Snyder who is supposed to be a great coach sounds exactly like my 7th grade alcoholic coach -- "Get back on defense, grab some rebounds, take good shots." Uh, thanks for pointing all that out there coach.

To be fair, they dont actually show any of the real strategy points of those huddles.   Its silly that they keep showing them for that reason.    They make coaches look like useless cheerleaders/

18 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I'm not even trying to be critical of Nash, just that it's his first year on the job and saying "im playing KD all 48, get him the ball and get out the way" is the obvious thing to do. Good on him for doing it though.

Idk think saying put Giannis on KD is kinda like saying just put Rudy Gobert on KD. Durant can break down guys that tall without breaking a sweat. Giannis and Gobert need to be closer to the paint to be effective.

Can selectively double KD but usually best to try to limit everyone else, make KD shoot over the top and live with the results. Durant is an all time great so sometimes he's just gonna beat you.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Agree big time. The thing about Giannis is that his basketball skills are not highly refined. He's not even an average shooter. He's not really a playmaker for his teammates on offense. But mother of God he is borderline unstoppable going to the basket or in the post, and he's a fantastic defensive player. He needs to stay in his fucking lane. They also need to shoot fewer threes as a team when they have such a mismatch inside. And James Harden should never be able to defend him one on one in the post. That was just stupid.

But I think Gainnis' strengths on defense are more along the lines of weakside help defender instead of 1 v 1 defender. And the way that Brooklyn was hunting Connaughton in crunch time. I'm not sure it would have made a difference. Even if they trapped, then you have 4 on 3 behind you and your best help defender is 25 feet away from the basket. Now trapping with a different guy when they were trying to force that switch? I would have given that a shot. Still, when Jeff Green is knocking down 7/8 from three, sometimes you just have to live with it. I would have made Green prove it more during crunch time, but whatever. B

Letting role guys like Mike James, Jeff Green, or Joe Harris get an easy 25 is how you get blown out by 20+. Green was just incredibly hot last night so props to him. 

Maybe could have doubled KD a little more but wasn't the worst defensive strategy. KD went for almost 50, an all-time great performance and the Bucks were right there in a road game with a chance at the end. Sometimes just gotta tip your cap to a hall of famer.