2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think they would have been better off just taking off the rest of the calendar year after the Finals. The season ended in October but the next season opened right before Christmas. So the teams started their activities before that and the preseason. And there should have been no back to backs this season. They needed one year to make up for the Covid shortened season to get back on track. And go back to normal in the 2021-22 season. Lebron does have a point but as stated above, this was agreed upon by the players association and the league. Were they strong armed by the owners? If Lebron was this against it, surely he has the clout to change it, right?

But this is classic Lebron making this about him since he is now out of the playoffs. 

But these injuries do fucking suck. And takes away from the playoffs. If Kawhi is done, Clippers are done with. I am not a Kawhi fan but I love to see the best players on the court when it matters.

There is probably some truth in what he said, but there's honestly no way to know. The vast majority of players did not get hurt. You are spot on that he is bitching to draw attention to himself. He wouldn't be saying this if the Lakers were still in it. Actually he would probably be secretly happy about some of the bigger stars going down, as that would greatly improve his chances at another title. He should just stfu 

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I think every Atlanta sports fan would give Philly and also their first born to have that falcons game back

Yeah the % comeback coincidence is neat but that's about where the comparison ends. One is the fucking super bowl - the other is to have a better chance at advancing into assured termination in the next round. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I mean, who is to blame? It's not like the Bucks game where you can point to Giannis settling for jumpers or Bud running bad offensive sets. There's no clear reason the 76ers lost this game... everything was going well for them, and then suddenly it wasn't. Embiid didn't score a single point in the last 7 minutes of the game and went 0/4, including 0/2 from the FT line.

Definitely has nothing to do with the coach

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Are the Jazz really going to lose to the Clippers without Kawhi? Talk about not taking advantage of catching a break. 

Don't get down on yourself. Everyone needs to be in on this NBA playoffs. Learn as you go. It's not like any of us have any fucking idea whats going to happen either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Morris and Jackson combined for 47 on 31 shots. Terrance Man was great. Just a phenomenal team performance led by PG. 16 boards is huge. But he went quiet for awhile down the stretch and other guys picked up the slack and made plays. 

If I'm Phoenix I'm licking my chops. Both of these squads can be had. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Defense is overrated or what. Rudy Gobert 3x DPOY. Ben Simmons. Draymond Green. Giannis.

Yawn. Doesn't matter much.

Weren't you trashing Trae Young's defense like 4 hours ago?

Or did that last game break you... it's understandable. I've seen some crazy shit lately.

Edited by ztejas

Something I noticed about this Jazz loss - they lack a hold-up guy without Conley. Mitchell is a great slasher and scorer but he's more in that DWade mold where he's always smelling blood and never just handling the ball with his head up looking to orchestrate (although Wade eventually was better at that but not early on).

Even PG did that a little better tonight I thought. Was strong with the ball whether in iso or bringing it up - ate clock and made the defense work. 

The more basketball I watch the more I think this is one of the big things that separates superstars from all-time greats. And I remember when Durant went from being a great scorer that was always all over the court to a guy that could bring the ball up and orchestrate and dictate the flow of a game. 

It is soooo important to be able to do that - especially in the playoffs. What's amazing about Luka and Trae is that they already do this - even though both of them are prone to taking bad shots at times - you can just give them the ball and they can control the flow of a game and make salad out of shit if they have to. 

Mitchell doesn't have that in his bag yet - as great as he is. Not trying to make this about him vs. Trae as Mitchell is better in other areas - but in that specific facet he is lacking and it showed tonight. Conley was that guy for them. It's kind of crazy but his absence is almost as bad as Kawhi's. 

Edited by ztejas

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

Weren't you trashing Trae Young's defense like 4 hours ago?

Or did that last game break you... it's understandable. I've seen some crazy shit lately.

Ben Simmons is averaging around $36.5 million a year over the next four years. Woof. Looking like a terrible contract if you're trying to build a champion. You just cannot have a guy that gives you zero on offense in today's NBA. You would need the other four guys on the floor to be peak Golden State. 

Gobert was rendered nearly worthless on defense with the Clippers small ball lineup. They had so many open looks from 3 because Gobert was forced to defend out to the perimeter. 

+/- can be misleading over a one game sample but Lou freaking Williams was a +31 last night. Bucket getter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Pathetic showing by Utah. At home and Clippers missing their best player, they not only lose, it was not even a fluke loss. Clippers just beat their ass down as the game went on. Have to give it up to PG for the game he had. And Reggie fucking Jackson.

Not sure what Kawhi's condition is but if it is indeed a torn ACL, I would almost rather Utah win this series to face the Suns. If LAC wins, the Suns run reminds me of the Warriors first title run of 2015. Every single series they faced teams missing key players.

And lmao Sixers. Fucking pathetic showing in the 4th. Did I read right that Joel and Seth were the only guys to make a FG for them in the 2nd half? Wow. Ben Simmons is getting paid a bunch of money to be the way he is. good luck with that contract. 

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not sure what Kawhi's condition is but if it is indeed a torn ACL, I would almost rather Utah win this series to face the Suns. If LAC wins, the Suns run reminds me of the Warriors first title run of 2015. Every single series they faced teams missing key players.

Conley is a key player - like I outlined above - but apparently he would be back for the WCF. 

I don't really care who comes out of the West. CP3 finally making the Finals would be a nice story. I'm kind of meh on this Jazz team. If the Clippers somehow make it then good for them. 

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

You just cannot have a guy that gives you zero on offense in today's NBA.

Totally agree. It's why I think guys like Luka and Trae are such valuable cornerstones. The amount of defenders in NBA history that have ever been able to affect a game as much on defense as those two do on offense is maybe zero players. Especially in today's NBA like you say. 

Giannis is the only first team all defense player from this year that I'd take over Trae - because he's almost a lock for 30 every night - even though his offensive game has holes in it. The guys that I would take over Trae on the 2nd team (Kawhi and Embiid) are both great offensive players. 

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I suppose MIL could have a nice rebound but if I'm a Bucks fan I'm worried that KD just broke them last game. Coming back from that is going to be tough. Especially if Harden has a bit more spring tonight. 

Meh, they just came back from getting beaten by 50 and everyone thinking they were done.   If that didnt break them, this wont

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Meh, they just came back from getting beaten by 50 and everyone thinking they were done.   If that didnt break them, this wont

I'd argue those are very different scenarios but I'm not going to spend much time on the intricacies 3 hours before tip. 

It's one thing to play like shit from the jump and know it's over early. You can already start mentally preparing for the next game. It's another thing to play well for most of the game, have one player hand your ass to you in the 4th quarter and then come off the court shell-shocked because you weren't able to do anything about it. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1