2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Someone on Instagram posted an "all Shanghai team" with Kuzma, Joe Harris, Simmons, Gobert and one other guy that’s escaping me.

I thought... that lineup would make some Chinese professionals rethink their career choice. 

But I'm here for the China joke. Nice recent development in otherwise tired NBA humor. 

7 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Ben Simmons was drafted in 2016 and has improved exactly nothing in 5 years. 

Maybe a change of scenery will help but usually guys that are gonna improve over time...you know...actually improve from year to year. There's an upward trajectory in certain areas of their game.

I don't know anything about Simmons personally but maybe basketball is not his passion. 

I remember when he was about to be drafted it was a huge concern that he didn’t do jack shit to make LSU better. If I remember they didn’t even make the tournament.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Lulz. That’s really cute. Fucking moron. 

Every accusation is a confession.  Don’t be a cumstain.

Will Luka be considered a better player a few years from now?  Probably.

All I’m saying is that the chances of that occurring are now less than 100% based on what we’ve seen in the playoffs and the Steph-like quality to his game.

You go right ahead and enjoy KP like I enjoyed your mom last night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I remember when he was about to be drafted it was a huge concern that he didn’t do jack shit to make LSU better. If I remember they didn’t even make the tournament.  

There’s a video put together by Draft Express in prep for the Simmons draft breaking down his last game vs Aggy in the SEC conference tournament and the issues brought up then are still painfully evident now.  Same player, no improvement.

https://sports.yahoo.com/video/vertical-breakdown-ben-simmons-vs-150812267.html

Can ANYONE please explain the stupid fucking pants that only go up to someone’s butt and the underwear hanging out phenomena?? Of all the dumb looks there have been over the years (I wore parachute pants back in the 80’s) this is by far the dumbest.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Philly fans seem to be taking the loss well.

lol @ being a 35-40 year old “man”, and ranting about someone who is wildly more successful then y he’ll ever be, more athletic, more wealthy. No wherewithal of his language around little kids who are probably walking next to him.

I mean who even has the time to think about talking to their phone on social media while leaving the arena? I’d call this guy a loser but that’d be a disgrace to every loser out there.

Only thing that would’ve made this video worthy of wasting anybody’s free data on their mobile plan is had the guy who told him to shut up in the second video gone all suns in 4 on his ass.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You're joking, but I was back and forth between those two when thinking of a comp for him. 

Nah, it's the comp I used a few pages back. 

The only real similarities that he shares with Dame and Steph is that they're small.

• Hook 'Em 1

We’ll see if he continues to improve the way Curry did, but Youngs advanced stats from this past year are eerily similar to Curry’s at age 22.

Curry had a slightly higher TS but Young had a higher WS and VORP and PER - the higher usage rate played a part but they’re still very similar stats.  

And then vs Philly and how he actually played and the eyeball test?  Philly was scared to death of Young, guarding and pressuring him 35 feet from the basket, even during Game 7 during the 5-23 game.  Only a few players generate that kind of attention and gravity which makes the marginal talents around Young seem much better than they are.

Of course he’s not where Steph was during the MVP years but Young today vs Steph in 2010 are very comparable.

Mavs fans are going to need to grow thicker skin regarding Doncic. And as long as Trae Young is winning in the playoffs and Luka is Cancun-bound, there's going to be chatter about that draft. Luka is going to start getting some heat, fair or not, because that's just the way the NBA works until you win a ring. And while it's true that the supporting casts of Atlanta and Dallas are not very comparable, there remains the question of how well Luka's game truly translates to winning. He's only been in the league three years, and has two of the top 15 usage % seasons in the HISTORY of the league. If you want to argue that he has to be that ball dominant because his teammates suck, well okay. But if they don't start winning in the playoffs regardless of the supporting cast, the James Harden comparisons are going to come and not in a good way.

• Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Mavs fans are going to need to grow thicker skin regarding Doncic. And as long as Trae Young is winning in the playoffs and Luka is Cancun-bound, there's going to be chatter about that draft. Luka is going to start getting some heat, fair or not, because that's just the way the NBA works until you win a ring. And while it's true that the supporting casts of Atlanta and Dallas are not very comparable, there remains the question of how well Luka's game truly translates to winning. He's only been in the league three years, and has two of the top 15 usage % seasons in the HISTORY of the league. If you want to argue that he has to be that ball dominant because his teammates suck, well okay. But if they don't start winning in the playoffs regardless of the supporting cast, the James Harden comparisons are going to come and not in a good way.

Or is Luka that ball dominant because his supporting cast is fucking terrible? I would go with that. Take away every team in the league's best player and compare the rest of the roster. Dallas' has to be well into the bottom. They were easily the worst of playoff teams. The fact he has that high of usage and got his team into the playoffs speaks volumes of his talent level at this age. In the West that is. He faced a much more talented Clippers team both playoff appearances. I am not one who thinks Luka is some god and doesn't warrant any criticism. But his biggest criticisms are how much of a ball hog and chucker he can be. But I still think it goes to his supporting cast. Kobe was the same way when his roster was really bad after those Shaq years. And he went as far to pretty much not shoot in the 2nd half of a game 7 just to make a point and they lost to the Suns. 

Now if this continues even after he gets a supporting cast, then sure, it's a big issue. And he also needs to drastically get better at FT's. This is what separates him from Dirk. He was money at FT's. This is crucial in tight games.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Or is Luka that ball dominant because his supporting cast is fucking terrible? I would go with that. Take away every team in the league's best player and compare the rest of the roster. Dallas' has to be well into the bottom. They were easily the worst of playoff teams. The fact he has that high of usage and got his team into the playoffs speaks volumes of his talent level at this age. In the West that is. He faced a much more talented Clippers team both playoff appearances. I am not one who thinks Luka is some god and doesn't warrant any criticism. But his biggest criticisms are how much of a ball hog and chucker he can be. But I still think it goes to his supporting cast. Kobe was the same way when his roster was really bad after those Shaq years. And he went as far to pretty much not shoot in the 2nd half of a game 7 just to make a point and they lost to the Suns. 

Now if this continues even after he gets a supporting cast, then sure, it's a big issue. And he also needs to drastically get better at FT's. This is what separates him from Dirk. He was money at FT's. This is crucial in tight games.

Clippers had a great chance at making the NBA Finals with a healthy Kawhi. #1 three point shooting team in the league and also have guys like Kawhi and PG on defense. Only a few bigs like Giannis and Jokic that can punish them inside.

Among 3rd year players in the history of the NBA, you're talking about maybe LeBron who could take down this year's healthy Clippers with a bad supporting cast. KP with 1 ACL, THJ who can shoot 3s but plays zero defense, Finney Smith who is fringe NBA starter and a bunch of spares to go to war with.