2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

God damn, you people who act like Curry comparisons are stupid...fools.  At this stage in both their careers (year 3ish for both) no way in hell Trae doesn't match up...

And he has that clutch gene.  It's a real thing.  Opposite of Simmons if you will...

Remember that night I had a long diatribe about how good Trae Young was. Where are we now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

God damn, you people who act like Curry comparisons are stupid...fools.  At this stage in both their careers (year 3ish for both) no way in hell Trae doesn't match up...

And he has that clutch gene.  It's a real thing.  Opposite of Simmons if you will...

Also, in their 3rd season, Steph was 24.  Trae is only 22.

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yep - go back a few pages and I was crucified for suggesting that Young was "Steph-like" and that the verdict on the Luke-Trae trade is not in when all you need to do is look at his stats this year vs 22 year old Steph and, more important, look at the way Young plays and how he is controlling the game and you would realize I was spot-on.

But the Luka love dies hard.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Dude, people aren't opposed to the Steph comparison because they think Trae isn't great or doesn't match up (especially at that stage of their careers). They're opposed to it because it's lazy. It's "oh, he's a little guy who shoots deep 3's...he's Steph-like!" 

He doesn't compare as a shooter BUT he's a much better passer already than Steph ever was and has some quirks and creativity to his game that are extremely rare. Hence the Nash and Harden comparisons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Yep - go back a few pages and I was crucified for suggesting that Young was "Steph-like" and that the verdict on the Luke-Trae trade is not in when all you need to do is look at his stats this year vs 22 year old Steph and, more important, look at the way Young plays and how he is controlling the game and you would realize I was spot-on.

Yeah, well, I'm not saying he's better than Luka but I think Luka is like the 3rd best player in the league.

But... people were sleeping on Trae hard here. I can't believe how much shit I got weeks ago for talking him up. He's the real deal. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Remember that night I had a long diatribe about how good Trae Young was. Where are we now. 

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

I saw you both doing this.  I agree but repping a Sooner in any way, shape, or form...especially if it's vs a Dallas product was bound to lead to plenty of hate.  But these are the facts.  He's still very early in his career...but he does a lot to control that offense that doesn't even show up on the stat sheet.  You'd be a moron to think there's ZERO percent chance someone will think at some point in the future the Hawks won that trade.  Would I bet on it?  No.  Would I take 100-1 odds?  Yes, happy to put 10K on that one. 

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Dude, people aren't opposed to the Steph comparison because they think Trae isn't great or doesn't match up (especially at that stage of their careers). They're opposed to it because it's lazy. It's "oh, he's a little guy who shoots deep 3's...he's Steph-like!" 

He doesn't compare as a shooter BUT he's a much better passer already than Steph ever was and has some quirks and creativity to his game that are extremely rare. Hence the Nash and Harden comparisons.

Actually many of them around here are opposed because it's a Sooner.  And it's understandable (OU sucks, bro).  Yes it's lazy, but they're not looking into it as in depth as you'd like to think...

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Actually many of them around here are opposed because it's a Sooner.  And it's understandable (OU sucks, bro).  Yes it's lazy, but they're not looking into it as in depth as you'd like to think...

Fair. I'm only commenting on the last couple of pages. I'm sure there's plenty I haven't paid attention to over the years. I've just always thought it was unfair to Trae to compare him to the greatest shooter who has ever lived when passing and playmaking are really the strongest aspects of his game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Fair. I'm only commenting on the last couple of pages. I'm sure there's plenty I haven't paid attention to over the years. I've just always thought it was unfair to Trae to compare him to the greatest shooter who has ever lived when passing and playmaking are really the strongest aspects of his game.

I feel like the people that compare him to Curry understand how good he is - and the people that don't don't. 

It isn't a perfect comp - but the way that they both warp defenses is very similar. As is their offensive talent at their age. 

Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The other thing that goes against Trae is that he has one of the most punchable faces in the history of ever. 

I think it's the Rogaine, Propecia hairline. Listen,  I get it. But just shave that shit. You aren't fooling anyone. 

• Like 1

Just now, pops said:

I think it's the Rogaine, Propecia hairline. Listen,  I get it. But just shave that shit. You aren't fooling anyone. 

Not the hairline so much as the thinness and flimsiness of it. "Boneless afro" was the word someone on Insta or Twitter used to describe it. Perfect.

But I actually like the kid. I just think he needs to accept fate and buzz his damn scalp.

• Haha 1

I don't mind the Trae/Steph comparisons, but I think Trae is a better playmaker, but much worse shooter right now.  Steph from Day 1 has always been a 42-45% 3 point shooter, and Trae is still basically below average to league average for shooting.  (34-35%ish from 3, 43ish percent overall)  To be fair, he's taking tougher shots than a lot of other shooters, but I personally am skeptical he will ever hit mid 40s consistently.  But he has a similar disruptive effect/gravity on defensive schemes, and that's pretty awesome to see.

1 minute ago, UTDD said:

I don't mind the Trae/Steph comparisons, but I think Trae is a better playmaker, but much worse shooter right now.  Steph from Day 1 has always been a 42-45% 3 point shooter, and Trae is still basically below average to league average for shooting.  (34-35%ish from 3, 43ish percent overall)  To be fair, he's taking tougher shots than a lot of other shooters, but I personally am skeptical he will ever hit mid 40s consistently.  But he has a similar disruptive effect/gravity on defensive schemes, and that's pretty awesome to see.

Yeah. He's definitely a better playmaker. I just don't know if he can ever find the shooting to be the guy in the clutch. Maybe. He's been punching above his weight for a long time. 

Just now, Message Board User said:

this game or this series?

I fear for the bucks that the answer may be the same for either; the Bucks are in trouble.

This game. 

But idk. MIL has issues. Like I said - I don't think people understood how shitty what Durant was dragging around was. This is a good team with everyone healthy. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This game. 

But idk. MIL has issues. Like I said - I don't think people understood how shitty what Durant was dragging around was. This is a good team with everyone healthy. 

this.

their possessions at the end of the game reminded me too much of Philly the last few years; I have no confidence that in the final 2 minutes of a close game they'll be able to put together anything that resembles solid possessions ending in a good shot...which is a function of their best player being unable to shoot.