2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Agreed. Think Giannis is smart enough to figure out he’s shooting ~50% right now at the stripe. Maybe a few dribbles and a breath might make the counting stop?

Giannis hasn't always been a garbage free throw shooter. He needs to return to whatever he was dying a few years ago.  

20210708_211200.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Part of me refuses to believe that Phoenix won’t choke this series away somehow. 

Why? Have you watched either of these teams this postseason? The one that is more likely to choke some shit away is the one about to be down 0-2.

20 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Jrue and Kris are 23-69 shooting.

Yikes.  I knew they weren't having a good game, but didn't realize they were that off.

Not sure if it is just me, but this is some sloppy basketball.  This doesn't feel like playoff basketball, much less a finals series.  The winner of this is going to be a historically bad team we will remember.  Feels like PHX should be up 15+ by now and yet MIL is hanging in there.

Yikes.  I knew they weren't having a good game, but didn't realize they were that off.
Not sure if it is just me, but this is some sloppy basketball.  This doesn't feel like playoff basketball, much less a finals series.  The winner of this is going to be a historically bad team we will remember.  Feels like PHX should be up 15+ by now and yet MIL is hanging in there.

That’s the first 2 games combined, I’m sure there’s some more misses in there since that post

Giannis has been nothing short of spectacular considering what he was coming off of.  Again, the secondary and tertiary guys aren't showing up and that's the biggest problem for the Bucks.  Supporting casts usually play better at home, so I expect Middleton and Holiday to play better in game 3.  Also, Phoenix is getting pretty thin in their rotations.  Monty's probably gotta squeeze 16-18 minutes out of 1-2 guys who don't usually play.  CP3 had a bad game for him too..... 6 turnovers.  He may not turn it over that much over the next 3 games.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Oh. But should he score less?

He could start by showing up in the first half. And what did he have in G1? 20? On 11 FGA? 

Sure he's been great but he isn't good enough for them to overcome a serious head coaching deficiency (or maybe more accurately a Chris Paul deficiency). He isn't LeBron. Not that I expect him to be - I'm not judging Giannis or even Middleton or Holiday - just kind of feeling meh that there isn't a transcendent player in the NBA Finals like there should be. It's funny that ESPN is trying to turn Giannis into that but he isn't. 

I'd be shocked if PHO doesn't take one in MIL. They play like an actual title contender - not a team that should be begging for their coach to be fired. The Bucks may have been better off taking an L to BKN and canning Bud 2 days later. 

Edited by ztejas

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He could start by showing up in the first half. And what did he have in G1? 20? On 11 FGA? 

Sure he's been great but he isn't good enough for them to overcome a serious head coaching deficiency (or maybe more accurately a Chris Paul deficiency). He isn't LeBron. Not that I expect him to be - I'm not judging Giannis or even Middleton or Holiday - just kind of feeling meh that there isn't a transcendent player in the NBA Finals like there should be. It's funny that ESPN is trying to turn Giannis into that but he isn't. 

I'd be shocked if PHO doesn't take one in MIL. They play like an actual title contender - not a team that should be begging for their coach to be fired. The Bucks may have been better off taking an L to BKN and canning Bud 2 days later. 

So he should do more? He’s playing on one leg. Maybe his teammates should, I don’t know, show up or something? Just a thought. 

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Milwaukee takes the dumbest shots and have all playoffs. 

This right here.   They have to be the lowest IQ team I've seen get this far.   It starts at the top.   I've been wanting them to fire Bud for 2-3 yrs now.

On 7/8/2021 at 10:47 PM, Loch Ness Monster said:

Giannis has been awesome. Every other Buck was a reminder why superteams are necessary.

Giannis needs to leave Milwaukee

You mean like Phoenix?

22 hours ago, d2o said:

This right here.   They have to be the lowest IQ team I've seen get this far.   It starts at the top.   I've been wanting them to fire Bud for 2-3 yrs now.

Bud is finishing his 3rd season in Milwaukee, no? So you either wanted him fired before he ever coached a game, or after taking the bucks to the conference finals in his first season. Seems reasonable. 

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

We could solve the super team by getting rid of the max salary I believe. 

Nah.  There's nothing being offered that I've heard of that's going to "solve" the super team, if that's something you want to solve for....... Only in very short, rare instances in the history of the NBA have super teams not existed, so why do they need to be solved for?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nah.  There's nothing being offered that I've heard of that's going to "solve" the super team, if that's something you want to solve for....... Only in very short, rare instances in the history of the NBA have super teams not existed, so why do they need to be solved for?

I’m not necessarily wanting to, but plenty of people do. KD and Lebron and Giannis and others are worth way more than the max. If the top 10 type guys had no max and we’re making 40-70 million that would do away with super teams. Would KD leave 20 million on the table for a super team? LBJ?  Joker?  I mean 20 a year. That’s a lot of money...

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not necessarily wanting to, but plenty of people do. KD and Lebron and Giannis and others are worth way more than the max. If the top 10 type guys had no max and we’re making 40-70 million that would do away with super teams. Would KD leave 20 million on the table for a super team? LBJ?  Joker?  I mean 20 a year. That’s a lot of money...

They tried that in the 90's.  There still were super teams, the secondary and middle class in the NBAPA actually got squeezed. The difference was how these super teams were organized, not if they existed.  Again, in no elongated economic system have super teams not existed in the NBA.  The only thing that has changed is facility and agency.  Who, how, and where does the power exist to form them and how are they assembled.  When folks belly ache about super teams, it's the how they are currently formed vs how they were formed in the good ole' days, when they were young and the league was more pristine and "great".  Which is silly in itself generally and ripe with rosy retrospection.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

I've heard people suggest that they kill the max before to keep stars in the smaller markets. I dunno. Maybe they should keep the max and raise the floor on the minimum salaries for the other guys to the point that if you really want to be the second or third banana, then you are going to really take a haircut? I haven't done the math but it seems like it would work. I would love to see the players union take a vote on that one. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think they've done a reasonable job of encouraging loyalty by allowing current teams to pay slightly more in max contracts, but I'd like to see that taken further really. I want a team to get salary cap exceptions based on a rolling average of length of time players have been on the team. Increases stability, encourages more attention to drafting and developing young players. At the same time shorten the max duration of rookie deals so players are empowered to leave if they feel their career is being harmed by the current situation. With that you've aligned the incentive for both team and player towards development. Currently teams can't invest in long term development over immediate production at least in part b/c they fear spending that effort on a guy just to watch him go to greener pastures when he hits free agency. Let the home team pay a lot more, let the salary cap be flexible according to loyalty, let young players be empowered, and reward veterans for loyalty. Vets are incentivized to help young guys have a good experience because if they stick around the teams cap overall goes up and that means more potential money for the vets.

Edited by Llogg

On 7/10/2021 at 9:12 AM, Blotto said:

You mean like Phoenix?

Bud is finishing his 3rd season in Milwaukee, no? So you either wanted him fired before he ever coached a game, or after taking the bucks to the conference finals in his first season. Seems reasonable. 

Pretty much yes.   He's shown he is nothing more than a good reg season coach.   He showed that in ATL.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Pretty much yes.   He's shown he is nothing more than a good reg season coach.   He showed that in ATL.

Lulz. Milwaukee had not won a playoff series since 2001, which was also the last time they won their division. In three seasons as coach they have won their division all three times and been to conf finals, conf semis, and now he has the Bucks in the NBA finals with a chance to win it all. I'm not going to claim he is an elite coach, but the level of shit he gets seems odd to me. Who would you have them hire? 

On 7/10/2021 at 1:17 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

They tried that in the 90's.  There still were super teams, the secondary and middle class in the NBAPA actually got squeezed. The difference was how these super teams were organized, not if they existed.  Again, in no elongated economic system have super teams not existed in the NBA.  The only thing that has changed is facility and agency.  Who, how, and where does the power exist to form them and how are they assembled.  When folks belly ache about super teams, it's the how they are currently formed vs how they were formed in the good ole' days, when they were young and the league was more pristine and "great".  Which is silly in itself generally and ripe with rosy retrospection.  

God I wish I rep this post like 50 times.

2 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. Milwaukee had not won a playoff series since 2001, which was also the last time they won their division. In three seasons as coach they have won their division all three times and been to conf finals, conf semis, and now he has the Bucks in the NBA finals with a chance to win it all. I'm not going to claim he is an elite coach, but the level of shit he gets seems odd to me. Who would you have them hire? 

And they've been completely exposed every yr in the playoffs as having no actual offensive philosophy and playing stupidly in clutch situations.   This yr they were fortunate that two of the BKN's big 3 were hurt or they would be home.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, d2o said:

And they've been completely exposed every yr in the playoffs as having no actual offensive philosophy and playing stupidly in clutch situations.   This yr they were fortunate that two of the BKN's big 3 were hurt or they would be home.   

He also loses Giannis in the ECF and finds a way to win games 5 & 6. Look, I'm not claiming he is the best coach in the league, but think he gets more shit than is due. If he wins the fucking finals this year, i guess the argument will be that the Bucks won in spite of Bud? Which seems crazy to me based on the state of that franchise before he got there. 

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Apparently, he needs to stop scoring so many points though....

Tonight he did this while shooting 13-17 from the line, having only 1 turnover and 3 fouls.  A spectacular game again.

Its really not rocket science.   When gives up the ball and cuts he gets many easy buckets.   He gets in a rhythm and it seemingly helps his FT shooting.   The other guys are more involved and play better as well vs how they play when he consistently isos out top.