Looks like you’ve been missing a lot of work lately

Viper

I wouldn’t say I’ve been missing it, Bob.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/05/04/former-ut-austin-director-arrested-part-ongoing-fraud-investigation/

A former director at the University of Texas at Austin's law school was arrested Thursday for claiming he was showing up for work while he was actually galavanting in tourist hot spots like Cozumel, Las Vegas and the U.S. Virgin Islands, according to court documents and local law enforcement authorities. 

Jason Shoumaker, the law school's facilities director until November 2017, is the subject of an ongoing probe by the Travis County District Attorney's Office and the Texas Rangers. Though Shoumaker was taken into custody Thursday over tampering charges, he is at the heart of a major fraud investigation – one that potentially involves "several million dollars of questionable expenses," a source familiar with the probe said. 

UT-Austin spokesman Gary Susswein said the school is working closely with law enforcement authorities and is retaining outside counsel to "review all management issues and other concerns related to this case."

"We take our responsibility as stewards of public dollars extremely seriously," Susswein said. "We also continue to work together with the district attorney’s office as it investigates all matters related to this case and appreciate the work they are doing."

Shoumaker stands accused of six charges of tampering with government records – his time sheets – while on the payroll of one of the state's most prominent universities. His bond was set at $40,000 per charge, and he was asked to surrender his passport. 

A call placed to Shoumaker's civil attorney and an email sent to Shoumaker's personal account went unreturned Thursday. 

The District Attorney's office began investigating Shoumaker in August at the behest of university officials, who alleged he had committed fraud during his time at the UT law school, the state's most prestigious. Shoumaker – who was paid an annual salary of $80,000 before his firing – was placed on administrative leave in July 2017, after a string of internal complaints about his performance and chronic absenteeism. 

As early as the spring of 2016, a supervisor said Shoumaker had "started to not be around" and "didn't seem to be doing his job anymore," according to the affidavit. 

University auditors, managers and executives all accused Shoumaker of submitting time sheets that said he was clocking in at the law school even as his personal credit cards were being swiped in such far-flung destinations as Miami, Florida and California, the document says. 

During multiple pay periods, Shoumaker logged regular 8-hour days with the university while he was actually cavorting out of state, according to the affidavit. 

Charges between July 2016 and April 2017 included: $2,584.76 for an American Airlines flight to the U.S. Virgin Islands, $609.02 at the Wynn Las Vegas hotel, $39.76 at Jose Cuervo Tequila in Miami, Florida; and $88.50 at a lobster grill in Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands.

After listing a fusillade of March 2017 credit card charges made in Mexico, the affidavit notes: "Based on these facts the Affiant believes Shoumaker was not at work in Austin, Texas and had no state business in Cozumel, Mexico, on the dates he claimed to have worked." 

Hired in July 2007, Shoumaker worked in UT's College of Communication before being promoted in May 2014 to be facilities director of the law school. 

One of his colleagues there, according to the affidavit, said "there were many times she was unable to find him" and that she often 'covered [duties] for Jason,' as co-workers sometime do." 

"Everything ok?" the colleague wrote to Shoumaker on April 3, 2017, according to the affidavit. 

"Yes, on my way to work," Shoumaker texted in response. In fact, Shoumaker was likely in Las Vegas that day, the document says – citing a flurry of charges to his card that included $44.20 at a Hooters Restaurant and $81.00 for a professional massage.

Disclosure: The University of Texas at Austin has been a financial supporter of The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan news organization that is funded in part by donations from members, foundations and corporate sponsors. Financial supporters play no role in the Tribune's journalism. Find a complete list of them here

1 hour ago, Viper said:

As early as the spring of 2016, a supervisor said Shoumaker had "started to not be around" and "didn't seem to be doing his job anymore," according to the affidavit. 

One of my rules of thumb is that if someone doesn't "seem to be doing his job anymore," but you're not absolutely sure that he's not doing his job, then his job is probably  unnecessary.  

But what do I know?  I'm not an administrative supervisor at UT.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

After listing a fusillade of March 2017 credit card charges made in Mexico, the affidavit notes: "Based on these facts the Affiant believes Shoumaker was not at work in Austin, Texas and had no state business in Cozumel, Mexico, on the dates he claimed to have worked." 

That's some first rate police work right there.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

University auditors, managers and executives all accused Shoumaker of submitting time sheets that said he was clocking in at the law school even as his personal credit cards were being swiped in such far-flung destinations as Miami, Florida and California, the document says. 

Wait, this dumbass handed over his personal credit card receipts???

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

One of my rules of thumb is that if someone doesn't "seem to be doing his job anymore," but you're not absolutely sure that he's not doing his job, then his job is probably  unnecessary.  

But what do I know?  I'm not an administrative supervisor at UT.

Very true.  This is so emblematic of all the wasteful spending in administration at UT.  And the Law School, with 1500 students and a leveraged faculty, has to be one of the smallest academic units.

He flew too close to the sun. Could have trimmed that down to a 1/4 of his absences and flown under the radar. Lived the dream but went too far with it.

Cush job. Probably started taking long lunches, no one missed him.

Started taking three day weekends. No one missed him.

Turned those three day weekends into four day weekends. People started asking questions. Should have slowed his roll and shown his face.

Too close to the sun though. Ruined it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s amazing how you can’t just fire people anymore. 

our people get 4 unexcused absences "for free."  On the fifth one, they get step 1 of 4 of corrective action.

8 fucking times in a year to get fired.

Then again, when they start that shit, there's ample opportunity to find other missteps.

22 minutes ago, captained said:

what kind of "professional massage" did he get in vegas for $81?

A shitty one what probably came with a happy ending. 

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

our people get 4 unexcused absences "for free."  On the fifth one, they get step 1 of 4 of corrective action.

8 fucking times in a year to get fired.

Then again, when they start that shit, there's ample opportunity to find other missteps.

Unexcused absences?  What are you, a teacher?

36 minutes ago, Chooky said:

When I check my mail I prefer to gallivant to the mailbox rather than just walk.  On very rare occasions I shuffle with a hitch kick, jazz hands combo, but I prefer to be gallivanting.   

Sounds like a fella who wants to distract us from the fact that he regularly sashays.

41 minutes ago, Rex Kramer said:

Unexcused absences?  What are you, a teacher?

Non scheduled vacation or sick days without a doctor's excuse on the 2nd consecutive day.

in other words, just deciding you don't feel like working that day, and even then you can claim to be sick for one day and not be required to bring a note.

People still fuck it up.

Obviously doesn't apply to management.  They just tell you your services are no longer needed.  As it should be.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Chooky said:

When I check my mail I prefer to gallivant to the mailbox rather than just walk.  On very rare occasions I shuffle with a hitch kick, jazz hands combo, but I prefer to be gallivanting.   

Amateur. Let us know when you start cavorting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slorch said:

Non scheduled vacation or sick days without a doctor's excuse on the 2nd consecutive day.

in other words, just deciding you don't feel like working that day, and even then you can claim to be sick for one day and not be required to bring a note.

People still fuck it up.

Obviously doesn't apply to management.  They just tell you your services are no longer needed.  As it should be.

Weird.  We all have prescribed PTO.  I have a lot of people that roll up to me, most of whom have 4-5 weeks+.  Admins have 3 weeks.  I don't even track the others.  If you don't show up, you generally aren't booking business, and you're not going to get paid or advance.  I guess that's how I track it.  Admins have an ADP monitoring system that offloads it for me.

6 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

He flew too close to the sun. Could have trimmed that down to a 1/4 of his absences and flown under the radar. Lived the dream but went too far with it.

Cush job. Probably started taking long lunches, no one missed him.

Started taking three day weekends. No one missed him.

Turned those three day weekends into four day weekends. People started asking questions. Should have slowed his roll and shown his face.

Too close to the sun though. Ruined it.

This is the same pattern I suspect embezzlers take. Nobody notices that $10 is missing is how it all starts. It would be interesting to read about this psychopathy because I think most of us have a touch of it.