Non all NBA team better than any of the all NBA teams

Wulaw Horn

This is such a goofy year in the NBA, and the talent level is just a stacked in a way that I think we’ve never had more top level players playing awesomely in their primes. 
I’m going to make a prediction that I could form a 5 man team of players not honored and beat either the first, second, or third teams if you wanted to play me best of 7 right now. 
I’m going to roll with Harden, Beal, Durant, Zion and Gobert and kick the ass of whichever of your teams you want to choose. 
If Beal makes an all NBA team and becomes ineligible to play on my squad I will go ahead and take Booker and still beat you. 
this isn’t necessarily a criticism of the voters or the teams they are going to put out there.
I get the idea of rewarding Randle, CP3, Dame and a couple other guys, but I will take the leftovers all day every day. 
I’m assuming the teams are something like this:

Joker, Freak, Leonard, Steph, Luka

Dame, Paul, Randal, Butler, Embiid

kyrie, Playoff P, Lebron, Tatum, Bam. 

if I’m wrong on some of these I bet I can still zag And find someone great. 
It’s a real motherfucker when you can’t put LBJ,  Durant, Harden on the first team. 

if I’m looking for my best 5, with positional things mattering and just quality of player as opposed to reward for the season I’m going with:

Embiid, LBJ, Durant, Steph, Harden  

Feels yucky leaving off joker but I think the process is a little bit better if healthy  

Harden should make at least 3rd team I think. Maybe he missed too much time though?

And no offense but this isn't a super hot take when arguably the best player in the league is basically inelligble due to number of games played. (and when he did play put up clear-cut 1st team stats)

Also are you a little high right now (cool if you are) because you put Steph on your 1st team then also included him on your non 1st team squad. (Nvm I read it wrong)

Edited by ztejas

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Harden should make at least 3rd team I think. Maybe he missed too much time though?

And no offense but this isn't a super hot take when arguably the best player in the league is basically inelligble due to number of games played. (and when he did play put up clear-cut 1st team stats)

Also are you a little high right now (cool if you are) because you put Steph on your 1st team then also included him on your non 1st team squad. (Nvm I read it wrong)

I don’t think Harden will make any team. I think LBJ is either a second or third team we- my sense is probably third. 
It wasn’t really meant to be a hot take, more just saying wow- this season played out in a goofy ass way, and there is just a fuckton of really good players right now. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Think Gobert makes a team.  Probably deserves 2nd team, but because of position, maybe 3rd team All-Pro Center.

Can't imagine there's any way Paul George makes it.  If he does, it's a travesty.

Also, Embiid should be 1st team if you're going to put Kawhi.  They played the same numbers of games and Embiid had a slightly better year.  Nothing wrong with putting two bigs on a 1st team but I'll guess we'll see how much a slaves the voters are to a games that is supposedly positionless.

I put Zion on the third team over Randle, and Randle had a fantastic season of growth but Zion was better per game.  I could see Randle making it over him because of team success though.

Dame over Luka.

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I could take this team and give your team some real problems:
Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell, Jaylen Brown, Domantas Sabonis, Anthony Davis

And I might consider Ben Simmons instead of Murray.

Yeah- I’d take Simmons over Murray with that group I think. You probably have enough scoring. 
that’s crazy, right? 

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Think Gobert makes a team.  Probably deserves 2nd team, but because of position, maybe 3rd team All-Pro Center.

Can't imagine there's any way Paul George makes it.  If he does, it's a travesty.

Also, Embiid should be 1st team if you're going to put Kawhi.  They played the same numbers of games and Embiid had a slightly better year.  Nothing wrong with putting two bigs on a 1st team but I'll guess we'll see how much a slaves the voters are to a games that is supposedly positionless.

I put Zion on the third team over Randle, and Randle had a fantastic season of growth but Zion was better per game.  I could see Randle making it over him because of team success though.

Dame over Luka.

Those 3 teams I laid out are t my teams, they are how I think the voters will go. I get the sense nobody is buying Embiid as a forward so I think he’s 2nd team. 
trade Gobert for Bam I still like my squad to beat whoever the first team is. 
I can’t imagine Zion beating Randal out but I agree with you- I think Zion is better. 

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

I could take this team and give your team some real problems:
Jamal Murray, Donovan Mitchell, Jaylen Brown, Domantas Sabonis, Anthony Davis

And I might consider Ben Simmons instead of Murray.

Nah. You wouldn't. Your team would get fucking smoked. Simmons would certainly help you more than Murray. 

But 

Harden, Beal, KD, Zion and Gobert 

Would fuck your 5's shit up. You have no proven winners on that team outside of a guy that you'd be lucky to get 2 assists per game out of. Your best distributor is Sabonis. Harden and KD would fucking abuse whichever poor 2 souls you threw out there against them (Simmons could potentially change that but apparently he wasn't your first choice).

Sorry but I just can't let certain things stand. (I hope this isn't some weird thing where people think KD still doesnt play defense)

I mean really I can't wait until the playoffs start and everyone realizes how good Durant is at basketball right now because it's fucking ludicrous. He's basically playing like prime Bird. 

Like fuckin Jaylen Brown and Sabonis are gonna go toe to toe with this cat right now and come out on top LMFAO

Edited by ztejas

I'm not saying my team would win, but they would definitely be a problem.    

Anthony Davis is so much better than Gobert that it isn't even funny.  He has been 1st team All-NBA for the 5 of the last 6 years. He is a much better offensive player and comparable defender.  And while he isn't Jokic, he is a much better passer than Gobert. 

image.png.32984496b645dd2cc3c41e5537af515f.png

And I would take Sabonis (20 pts, 12 reb, 6.7 ast)  right now over Zion (27 pts, 7.2 reb, 3.7 ast). He is a much better passer, better rebounder and better shooter (FT & out to 3).  He's also averaging more steals and comparable blocks. 

image.thumb.png.6c0cb708d5393524f66a83637bbe176d.png

For me, Beal vs. Mitchell is about a wash.  Beal is a better scorer, but Mitchell is a better distributor and shooter.  Mitchell has better OWS and DWS. Beal has the better PER and VORP. For me if I'm picking teams, I take Mitchell as I think he is the better big game player.  

image.thumb.png.b0be784f74919f1999bde18505991b2e.png

Durant is clearly better than Jaylen Brown. No question.  He would get the better of this matchup, but Brown has had a great year. 

image.png.def243b31fdca033368c7e41b74c3bbe.png

I admit Murray was a stretch over Ben Simmons. I just wanted to put Murray and Mitchell on a team cause I have enjoyed watching them go at each other in the playoffs. Would be fun to see them on the same team.  But if I'm doing this for real, I probably take Ben Simmons.  And clearly James Harden is better than either Simmons or Murray.

image.png.b7823365a02245c265ed3f81669f2bce.png

Again, I would give the OP team the win, but it would be close. Experience would win out in the end and honestly I'm not going to bet against a Durant.

Another interesting team would be:

Trae Young + Zach Lavine + Devin Booker + Brandon Ingram + Nikola Vucevic

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I'm not saying my team would win, but they would definitely be a problem.    

Anthony Davis is so much better than Gobert that it isn't even funny.  He has been 1st team All-NBA for the 5 of the last 6 years. He is a much better offensive player and comparable defender.  And while he isn't Jokic, he is a much better passer than Gobert. 

image.png.32984496b645dd2cc3c41e5537af515f.png

And I would take Sabonis (20 pts, 12 reb, 6.7 ast)  right now over Zion (27 pts, 7.2 reb, 3.7 ast). He is a much better passer, better rebounder and better shooter (FT & out to 3).  He's also averaging more steals and comparable blocks. 

image.thumb.png.6c0cb708d5393524f66a83637bbe176d.png

For me, Beal vs. Mitchell is about a wash.  Beal is a better scorer, but Mitchell is a better distributor and shooter.  Mitchell has better OWS and DWS. Beal has the better PER and VORP. For me if I'm picking teams, I take Mitchell as I think he is the better big game player.  

image.thumb.png.b0be784f74919f1999bde18505991b2e.png

Durant is clearly better than Jaylen Brown. No question.  He would get the better of this matchup, but Brown has had a great year. 

image.png.def243b31fdca033368c7e41b74c3bbe.png

I admit Murray was a stretch over Ben Simmons. I just wanted to put Murray and Mitchell on a team cause I have enjoyed watching them go at each other in the playoffs. Would be fun to see them on the same team.  But if I'm doing this for real, I probably take Ben Simmons.  And clearly James Harden is better than either Simmons or Murray.

image.png.b7823365a02245c265ed3f81669f2bce.png

Again, I would give the OP team the win, but it would be close. Experience would win out in the end and honestly I'm not going to bet against a Durant.

Another interesting team would be:

Trae Young + Zach Lavine + Devin Booker + Brandon Ingram + Nikola Vucevic

Someone upthread convinced me that Gobert was probably third team. So, that leaves me with Bam or AD.  I think you were probably right in taking AD over either of those two guys.  He's on the squad as my center (we will just tell him he's playing PF but let someone else jump ball.  Whatever.  Bradley Beal also probably makes the team. If he does then I'm going Ben Simmons in his spot.  So, my more realistic team (that will beat any of the all NBA teams or anyone else) becomes: AD, KD, ZION, HARDEN and SIMMONS.  That team is going to have shooting and playmaking all over the court (every one of those 5 can play make and everyone but Simmons can shoot.  They are going to be pretty nasty on defense and oh the size and length.  Yeah- maybe Sabonis is more skilled then Zion but Zion is such a force of nature, so sudden as an athlete and just a real load to handle with those other guys getting attention- and he's a good enough secondary playmaker that I like my chances.  

That team is quite frankly going to fuck people up.  And Zion and Simmons are probably the only people going to get more than a hand full of votes this year- and they are the worst 2 on that team.  Just love the defense and length of Simmons over Murray or Mitchell if I'm playing to fuck someone up.  He can stand in the dunker spot and wreck people on Harden drives, high lows with AD and KD.  

I agree Simmons is better on that team. He is a great defender and distributor. I'm just not a big fan overall though.

Bottom line, there is a lot of talent in the NBA right now. Hopefully we get fans back in mass soon.