2022 Collier for Texas

tantric superman

He came within five points of beating Dan Patrick last time around and at least now he's got a tad bit more name recognition.

This one is winnable if he gets some folks willing to work and if someone other than Lupe Valdez is running against Abbott.

https://www.collierfortexas.com/

He's pretty boring but he's a nice guy and Patrick is a real jerk. 

Go accountant guy!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Dan Patrick is starting a 131 stop tour of Texas for his rematch with Collier.

Collier did not receive the same amount of votes as Beto, but he did outperform him in 171 counties. Better appeal to rural voters combined w/the Abortion law and grid failures could see his numbers grow. Posting in here and not the Dan Patrick thread for name visibility.

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/12/19/mike-collier-lost-but-outdid-beto-orourke-in-most-texas-counties/amp/

https://www.focusdailynews.com/dan-patrick-kicks-off-statewide-bus-tour/

Mike works non stop, but he's effortless in it.  I would bet he'll make 3 times the amount of stops Patrick does during this election.  He is affable and makes for an easy conversation.  I'd urge any of you to go find him somewhere and meet him, shake his hand.    He's also a proud Longhorn.  CollierforTexas.com.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We have some teachers who have been loyal republicans who are quietly saying they are voting for Collier.   I imagine that also means they will vote for Beto, but they just can't bring themselves to say it out loud.

Each of these seven candidates are beginning to pull support from the red side with their tours of town halls.   Even Warford has his own group of folks fired up about voting for him because he's taken the time to get out and meet them.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Each of these seven candidates are beginning to pull support from the red side with their tours of town halls. 

I don't think it's the tours and town halls that's doing it.  I think some educated people are finally using their education to realize just how shitty the R candidates are.

• Hook 'Em 1

Collier getting some momentum. Will probably break this page with Twitter links. Whitley in plain English says “Fire Him” in regards to Dan Patrick.

Tarrant County GOP wedge. Former mayor Betsy Price says vote your conscience ala Ted Cruz shit.

And Kel Seliger continues his burn it down tour of Texas Republicans and the Lt Gov

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Lol, of course outgoing State Senator Lucio endorses Dan Patrick.  The simulation we’re in is garbage.

They’re dragging Lucio’s ass pretty good in the comments.

Edited by Satchel

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually kidding.  Collier laid the groundwork the last time he campaigned.  He's the most affable, accountant like government type you could ever meet.  It's hard to imagine anyone not thinking the guy could be good in a statewide office.

Garza is much less known.  I'd love for people to really focus on her in these last few weeks because both her race and Collier's are winnable.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike Collier worked as a landman for Exxon after graduating UT.  He went back later for an MBA and went to work for PwC in auditing and eventually moved into acquisitions and made partner.   That's just part of his resume.  His book "Out of Comptrol" is a great read.  

I've had the pleasure of engaging with he and his staff numerous times this cycle and he sincere and affable, like Greaser Bob stated. 

He said he's been after Patrick to debate, but Patrick said this:

Or we could have this:

My prediction:

- Despite Collier's resume, affability and general competence, he'll still lose to Patrick by a sizable margin in the general.

- Patrick will immediately zero in on (1) vouchers and (2) ruining the political careers of any R who endorsed (or even thought about endorsing) Collier.

- He'll get the Empower Texans crew to throw money at even worse candidates to primary all those Rs.

- The worse candidates will win the next primary, and the TxLeg will get even worse. Rinse, repeat.

I'd like to think I'm wrong, but prior history suggests otherwise.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, sasquatch69 said:

My prediction:

- Despite Collier's resume, affability and general competence, he'll still lose to Patrick by a sizable margin in the general.

- Patrick will immediately zero in on (1) vouchers and (2) ruining the political careers of any R who endorsed (or even thought about endorsing) Collier.

- He'll get the Empower Texans crew to throw money at even worse candidates to primary all those Rs.

- The worse candidates will win the next primary, and the TxLeg will get even worse. Rinse, repeat.

I'd like to think I'm wrong, but prior history suggests otherwise.

The legislature is already made up of some of the most incompetent and psychotic goons in the whole state of Texas. Especially the senate, but if there’s worse out there, potty Patrick will find it.

The Chronicle endorsed Collier. Not too surprising.

non-paywall: https://archive.ph/67SSh

I like his idea in raising property tax revenue but giving homeowners relief

When our furrowed brows apparently belied some confusion about the particular loophole he claims is the holy grail to Texas tax relief, the candidate for lieutenant governor grabbed one water bottle that represented a skyscraper in a thriving, highly developed part of town that’s worth $500 million, and another bottle that represented a skyscraper in a run-down, lower-end part of town a few miles away that’s worth $200 million.

“This is full of people paying high rents and is very valuable property,” he says lifting one water bottle. “This is very different,” he says lifting the other, “It’s in a part of town where the values are not nearly as high, it’s only half full and it’s less valuable.”

You’d think the corporate owners of the more expensive property would have to pay more taxes, as homeowners do when our houses are appraised higher. But no. The owner just gets his lawyers to go down to the appraisal district and argue that both skyscrapers should be taxed at a similar level.

Astonishingly, they’ll likely get away with it, just like many other owners of large commercial and industrial properties across the state who each year deprive the state coffers of billions — Collier estimates it’s at least $7.5 billion. Homeowners have to make that up in our tax bills. Why? Because of a simple loophole that lawmakers could fix if they wanted but won’t: the state of Texas doesn’t define what a “comparable” property is.

What sucks about ideas like this are that property tax laws are boring. Most people fall asleep reading that story but the failure of our state reps to protect us may cost us each $100s if not a $1000 per year.

• Hook 'Em 2

More endorsements across the aisle

The latest trio includes former U.S. Rep. Steve Bartlett and state Reps. Byron Cook and Bennett Ratliff. 

Democrat Mike Collier adds more GOP endorsements in lieutenant governor's race

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/article/Democrat-Mike-Collier-earns-more-GOP-support-in-17505474.php

Edited by StassneyHorn

On 10/10/2022 at 8:28 PM, StassneyHorn said:

So a longer version of this is playing at almost every break on the Ticket here in Dallas. It hits every MAGA boogieman point. Biden is destroying America, turn Texas into California, open borders, sanctuary cities, woke policies, boys who think they are girls, won't build the border wall, eliminate ICE, AOC, and the Green New Deal. 

• Rage+1 1

Hard to believe that Patrick is in any jeopardy but other republicans are doing nothing except risking their own political futures by opposing Patrick.

Perhaps Collier and the anti-Patrick repubs see an opportunity. Beto may bring out enough people to vote all Dems to get the Lt. Gov race close within a few points. Then Collier can just make Patrick a little bit worse than Abbot, which isn’t tough.  Add some changing Texas demographics. Dobbs decision.

im still skeptical that a Dem can pull off a statewide win in Texas.