1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

its pretty eerie how Arnie and Jack mirror Tiger and Phil

younger guy surpasses older guy

younger guy is thought of as revolutionary

older guy kind of becomes the "everyman/well liked/fan favorite"

similar major record

one won the Grand Slam - the other is/was one major short

This win really jumped Phil up.

Only collegiate player to win a pga tournament- right?  Only senior to ever win a major. Phil’s 30 year career where he was relevant the entire time is probably the only thing he can claim against the other all time greats. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

similar major record

If Phil is going to ever get the US Open, this is the year.  Torrey Pines, which he’s probably played hundreds of times and he gets to sleep in his own bed at night.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Only collegiate player to win a pga tournament- right?  Only senior to ever win a major. Phil’s 30 year career where he was relevant the entire time is probably the only thing he can claim against the other all time greats. 

another is Mickelson has 11 2nd place finishes and Arnie had 10.  #2 and #3.  both of them we're kings of "missed it by that much".

the thing that makes me take Jack over Tiger is that incredibly Jack had 19 second place finishes in majors. 37 times out of lets say 112 majors(22-50yrs old) he was either first or second.  that is 33% of the time over an entire career.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm still puzzled why Surly isn't in love with this guy, though. 

There are so many examples of him acting like a bitch but he also tries to act like he doesn’t care and he’s this robot that just expects to win majors. 

Like when he said the person that made the US open commercial a couple years ago should get fired because he wasn’t in one of what was probably a dozen versions after he had won twice. 

He’s one of those people that just seem like a douche bag. Like there are those people that you can have one short conversation with or see them interact with someone for a minute or two and you just know they are a douche bag to most of the people they come into contact with. He seems like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Scott Verplank won the 1985 Western Open while at Oklahoma State, defeating Jim Thorpe in a playoff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

similar major record

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

similar major record

Arnie was golf when Jack hit the scene and pretty much every golf fan hated Jack when he started kicking Arnie's ass, it took years for Jack to be a fan favorite.  Phil hadn't won much of anything when Tiger started kicking his ass and Tiger was hugely popular from day one. Maybe career stats sort of look similar but not the way they got there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Arnie was golf when Jack hit the scene and pretty much every golf fan hated Jack when he started kicking Arnie's ass, it took years for Jack to be a fan favorite.  Phil hadn't won much of anything when Tiger started kicking his ass and Tiger was hugely popular from day one. Maybe career stats sort of look similar but not the way they got there.

I agree that Arnie was much bigger than Phil when Jack showed up.  some folks didn't like the way Tiger was changing the game with his length and somewhat cocky attitude(similar to Jack) but he was certainly very popular.

I'd say its similar. not trying to start an argument.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

That scene after Phil hit his second shot on 18 was borderline dangerous.  It only takes one crazy person.  We’re not that far removed, in the grand scheme of things, from a tennis player being stabbed at a tournament.

No one is stabbing Phil. Dude shouldn't have grabbed him around the shoulders,  but that was one of the greatest sports moments ever. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, pops said:

No one is stabbing Phil. Dude shouldn't have grabbed him around the shoulders,  but that was one of the greatest sports moments ever. 

That was a crazy environment that neither of the players should have been exposed to.  When Tiger won in Atlanta they did a much better job of letting the fans follow up the fairway while keeping them at a safe distance.  That was a mob scene on 18.

36 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

That was a crazy environment that neither of the players should have been exposed to.  When Tiger won in Atlanta they did a much better job of letting the fans follow up the fairway while keeping them at a safe distance.  That was a mob scene on 18.

Honestly if I'm a fan I'm not apologizing. I just saw a fucking 50 year old win a major at a brutal championship venue.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

Have to disagree. That was so many things coming together in absolute raw emotion and sports joy culminating in what we've missed for the past 15 months. 

Yeah, it was a bit sketchy but security did their job and we got to witness one of the best moments in sport.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pops said:

Have to disagree. That was so many things coming together in absolute raw emotion and sports joy culminating in what we've missed for the past 15 months. 

Yeah, it was a bit sketchy but security did their job and we got to witness one of the best moments in sport.

Security came nowhere close to doing their job, but it was a poignant moment, and I’m glad nothing happened.

• Hook 'Em 2

similar major record

Arnie was 11 years older than Jack. Phil is only five years older than Tiger. Arnie was the original pied piper of golf as far as the common man was concerned well before Jack even came upon the scene.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Arnie was 11 years older than Jack. Phil is only five years older than Tiger. Arnie was the original pied piper of golf as far as the common man was concerned well before Jack even came upon the scene.

yes but Arnie and Jack were only separated by about 4 years from first  Major to first Major  58 to 62.  It is true from 57-62 Arnie had created the Arnie's Army. advent of TV had a lot to do with that.

I like Keopka because he worked his ass off playing tours all over the fucking world trying to make it, I think he has a huge chip on his shoulder because of it though.

Keopka is basically Baker Mayfield. Always thinking he is disrespected, as thin skinned an athlete as I’ve ever seen. If you even intimate something negative about him he will put you on blast on social media.

It’s a shame to be that good yet you have such a giant chip in your shoulder that you can’t even stay happy because you take everything so personally.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Keopka is basically Baker Mayfield. Always thinking he is disrespected, as thin skinned an athlete as I’ve ever seen. If you even intimate something negative about him he will put you on blast on social media.

It’s a shame to be that good yet you have such a giant chip in your shoulder that you can’t even stay happy because you take everything so personally.

Heard a story on one of the sports ray-dee-oh shows this morning.  Koepka was at the Masters as a 9 or 10 year old kid and somehow got access to the player's parking lot.  He says everyone agreed to give him an autograph except Phil.  Koepka brought it up to Phil at some point (maybe at the Ryder Cup -- can't recall) and told Phil he had stiffed him.  Mickelson said "well, you shouldn't been in the parking lot anyway."

• Like 1

Ran a pool where you pick 7 players (2 from 1-10, 2 from 11-20, and 3 from 21+ in the world golf rankings).  Total prize money wins.  Needless to say, no one picked Phil.  I thought I got squeezed by Louie tying with Brooks, but I won by less than $100K.  $400 to me, bitches.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pops said:

this. there were a couple of goofballs(especially the dumbass grabbing Phil by the shoulders) but it has happened a dozen or more times over the years.

Koepka was probably just pissed everyone ran by him without acknowledging his greatness.  Or maybe someone told him to "suck it bitch".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smwhorn said:

Heard a story on one of the sports ray-dee-oh shows this morning.  Koepka was at the Masters as a 9 or 10 year old kid and somehow got access to the player's parking lot.  He says everyone agreed to give him an autograph except Phil.  Koepka brought it up to Phil at some point (maybe at the Ryder Cup -- can't recall) and told Phil he had stiffed him.  Mickelson said "well, you shouldn't been in the parking lot anyway."

No autograph from Phil for Spieth... 😂😂😂

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'd leave Watson outside the top 10 (like you did) just because 5 of his majors were at The Open.  His resume is impressive and he was a great golfer, but he's kind of like the Rafael Nadal racking up a bunch of wins at one tournament.  And he never won the career Grand Slam.  I would put Watson in the top 15 though.  The rest of your list is pretty solid.  I'd probably have Nelson in the top ten because he was a Texan and that goes a long way toward greatness.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Nelson but not Trevino? That seems a little racist. 

Lol...That's fair, but far from racist.  Sometimes I forget that Trevino won 6 Majors.  Growing up, I loved Lee Trevino and always rooted for him.  I guess maybe because there isn't a tournament named after him that he gets lost in the shuffle when you talk about the greatest golfers of all time.  I think winning majors during Trevino's era may have been the hardest time with so many great golfers at the top. 

Edited by Hate
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Brooks was acting like a bitch after Sunday’s round but this makes up for it 

Koepka was acting like a bitch and seems kind of dickish but Bryson is just fucking unlikeable with his "If you just knew as much as I do you might be somebody" routine. 

Wait....what is his Surly handle?