Euro 2020/2021

shnsajax

Almost 3 weeks away and I feel very unprepared for this, and some really fun groups made more interesting with all of the Covid unknowns.

Group A: Italy, Swiss, Turkey, and Wales
Group B: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, and Russia 
Group C : Austria, Holland, North Macedonia, and Ukraine
Group D : Croatia, The Czech's, England, and Scotland
Group E: Poland, Slovakia, Spain, and Sweden
Group F: France, Germany, Hungary, and Portugal

Group F looks like the Group of Death with 3 of the top 5 Favorites together.

We get to see Lewandowski and Haaland both in a major tournament.

England vs Scotland!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 2

20 hours ago, shnsajax said:

auld enemy

england/scotland is like us/mexico

there is no such thing as a friendly

escocia refers to the fixture as "the auld enemy"

the alltime record is actually very close: 48-41-25 for England

they played the first recognized international match 30 November 1872, of course a nil-nil draw

however they have only played in uefa/fifa competition 5 times

they did not meet in a non-british competition for the first 124 years of the series

the first time was their only fixture in a tournament in euro96

they last played 4 years ago

if you ever played AD&D you will remember the 20-sided dice

rolling double zeros twice in a row is of course technically 1 in 200, but in practice it's more like 1 in 2 million

that's what Celtic's Leigh Griffiths did on 10 June 2017 at Hampden Park

move the video forward to the 3:00 mark (halfway through)

the goals were scored on 70', 87', 90' & 93'

up until alisson's goal the other day, it was the most miraculous thing i've seen in football in some time

they play their 6th Full International on Friday 18 June 3pm our time

set your vendor zooms accordingly

• Hook 'Em 1

@jive re: frogs
incredibly dangerous and deep, and yet france like italy and nederland have a habit of going duck duck goose in tournaments, 2 on, 1 off

It’s hard to see that happening but then again Benzema could blackmail Mbappe with a sextape for a couple of million next week.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

england/scotland is like us/mexico

there is no such thing as a friendly

escocia refers to the fixture as "the auld enemy"

the alltime record is actually very close: 48-41-25 for England

they played the first recognized international match 30 November 1872, of course a nil-nil draw

however they have only played in uefa/fifa competition 5 times

they did not meet in a non-british competition for the first 124 years of the series

the first time was their only fixture in a tournament in euro96

they last played 4 years ago

if you ever played AD&D you will remember the 20-sided dice

rolling double zeros twice in a row is of course technically 1 in 200, but in practice it's more like 1 in 2 million

that's what Celtic's Leigh Griffiths did on 10 June 2017 at Hampden Park

move the video forward to the 3:00 mark (halfway through)

the goals were scored on 70', 87', 90' & 93'

up until alisson's goal the other day, it was the most miraculous thing i've seen in football in some time

they play their 6th Full International on Friday 18 June 3pm our time

set your vendor zooms accordingly

Plus two of the coolest national anthems out there.

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

Sergio Ramos left off the Spanish squad.  no Real Madrid players on the team.

E2JWzXqXEAIJsjd?format=jpg&name=large

Spain's squad no longer looks like a mish-mash of Barcelona's & Real Madrid's rosters.

Lots of one name players along the top right.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:05 PM, Napoleon said:

I love that Kanye KANTE is alone in his listing. 

No one could hope to be a Kanye KANTE understudy. He’s never coming off the pitch. [Full Stop]

FIXED

Left the original post using my phone and apparently my phone is a bigger fan of the "entertainment artist" than the French soccer player.

My apologies to Kante and his family.

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Looks like a great book that I have no desire to read. Like rewatching Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS or Robben failing to score on the breakaway in 2010. 

Which breakaway?

The one where Puyol wrapped him up with an arm from behind and kind of tackled him and didn't even get called for a foul vs getting a straight red?

Or when he fired to the side of Iker rather than chipping him like every Latin player and every southern European player would have?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/19/2021 at 10:24 AM, Jive Turkey said:

E1sNN_cX0Achqpl?format=jpg&name=large

winners.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

@jive re: frogs

incredibly dangerous and deep, and yet france like italy and nederland have a habit of going duck duck goose in tournaments, 2 on, 1 off

true, but they choked to portugal in the finals of the last euros so this is just the second on.

EURO 2020 squads for every team

*Austria EURO 2020 squad*

Goalkeepers: Daniel Bachmann (Watford), Pavao Pervan (Wolfsburg), Alexander Schlager (LASK)

Defenders: David Alaba (Bayern), Aleksandar Dragovic (Leverkusen), Marco Friedl (Werder Bremen) Martin Hinteregger (Frankfurt), Stefan Lainer (Mönchengladbach), Philipp Lienhart (Freiburg), Stefan Posch (Hoffenheim), Christopher Trimmel (Union Berlin), Andreas Ulmer (Salzburg)

Midfielders: Julian Baumgartlinger (Leverkusen), Christoph Baumgartner (Hoffenheim), Florian Grillitsch (Hoffenheim), Stefan Ilsanker (Frankfurt), Konrad Laimer (Leipzig), Valentino Lazaro (Internazionale), Marcel Sabitzer (Leipzig), Louis Schaub (Luzern), Xaver Schlager (Wolfsburg), Alessandro Schopf (Schalke)

Forwards: Marko Arnautovic (Shanghai Port), Michael Gregoritsch (Augsburg), Sasa Kalajdzic (Stuttgart), Karim Onisiwo (Mainz)

*Belgium EURO 2020 squad (26-man squad, with 11 reserves)*

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid), Simon Mignolet (Club Brugge), Mats Selz (Strasbourg)

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham), Dedryck Boyata (Hertha Berlin), Jason Denayer (Lyon), Thomas Vermaelen (Vissel Kobe), Jan Vertonghen (Benfica)

Midfielders: Timothy Castagne (Leicester), Nacer Chadli (Istanbul Basaksehir), Yannick Carrasco (Atletico Madrid), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Leander Dendoncker (Wolves), Thorgan Hazard (Dortmund), Thomas Meunier (Dortmund), Dennis Praet (Leicester), Youri Tielemans (Leicester), Hans Vanaken (Club Brugge), Axel Witsel (Dortmund)

Forwards: Michy Batshuayi (Crystal Palace), Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace), Jeremy Doku (Rennes), Eden Hazard (Real Madrid), Romelu Lukaku (Inter Milan), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Leandro Trossard (Brighton)

Reserves: Thomas Kaminski (Blackburn), Brandon Mechele (Club Brugge), Zinho Vanheusden (Standard Liege), Jordan Lukaku (Antwerp), Thomas Foket (Reims), Albert Sambi Lokonga (Anderlecht), Adnan Januzaj (Real Sociedad), Brayn Heynen (Genk), Alexis Saelemaekers (AC Milan), Yari Verschaeren (Anderlecht), Charles De Ketelaere (Club Brugge)...

...Click below for the rest of the squads...

https://sports.yahoo.com/euro-2020-squads-every-team-184717137.html

On 5/19/2021 at 10:24 AM, Jive Turkey said:

E1sNN_cX0Achqpl?format=jpg&name=large

Their front 6 is just fucking stupid. 

"Benzema and Griezmann just aren't getting it done so far"

"Alright guess we'll have to sub in Giroud and Dembele and hope for a miracle"

I mean obviously there's a few stacked teams - it's the Euros - but that France attack is like 2002* Brazil level. 

Edited by ztejas

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Their front 6 is just fucking stupid. 

"Benzema and Griezmann just aren't getting it done so far"

"Alright guess we'll have to sub in Giroud and Dembele and hope for a miracle"

I mean obviously there's a few stacked teams - it's the Euros - but that France attack is like 2002* Brazil level. 

I would say "Argentina 2006, 2010, 2014 level", though they never got it done.

Argentina's 2010 squad (especially) had Top 3 scorers from ~Spain, Italy, & England (maybe) along with the guy who scored both goals in the Champions League Final...

...but Diego was their manager. 😪

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I would say "Argentina 2006, 2010, 2014 level", though they never got it done.

Argentina's 2010 squad (especially) had Top 3 scorers from ~Spain, Italy, & England (maybe) along with the guy who scored both goals in the Champions League Final...

...but Diego was their manager. 😪

Good comp. Idk if Argentina was that deep across the middle though. Although I am a bit out of touch on Pogba's form - he always seems to be bouncing back and forth between disappointment and revelation. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Good comp. Idk if Argentina was that deep across the middle though. Although I am a bit out of touch on Pogba's form - he always seems to be bouncing back and forth between disappointment and revelation. 

Well, Kante is way better than Mascherano in 2010 (Masche was captain), but Masche 2014 was close to having a Kante-level influence as a complete destroyer but from a much deeper position. Masche was a fucking warrior in 2014. I never cared for him before that World Cup, but he was the heart, soul, and machete of that team.

mascherano-nigeria_9tqs41lzawpw10g96hv0w

Different tournament, but you can tell that he cares about wearing the kit...

mascherano.jpg?fit=1600,1067&ssl=1

The Argentine midfield was weaker than it should have been in 2010 due to the manager and in 2014 due to people sitting back and watching Messi do his thing rather than work WITH him like the others at Barça did.

Their best midfield was in 2006, when they lost to Germany in a shootout after having to sub out their keeper in the first half and thus were unable to bring on Messi late, because they just had 2 subs to use on field players. (And Germans being German, they had done their research and Jens Lehmann had his cheat sheet of Argie tendencies for each player that he would pull out of his sock and check before each shootout attempt. And it worked.)

Here's their goal against Serbia & Montenegro in 2006 that consisted of 26 touches. 25 passes and one shot on goal. They held the ball for over 70 seconds passing it around before Cambiasso scored off of a beautiful assist. (Diego didn't even pick Champions League champs Cambiasso nor captain Javier Zanetti from Inter Milan, but brought the boyfriend of his girl's best friend.)

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Well, Kante is way better than Mascherano in 2010 (Masche was captain), but Masche 2014 was close to having a Kante-level influence as a complete destroyer but from a much deeper position. Masche was a fucking warrior in 2014. I never cared for him before that World Cup, but he was the heart, soul, and machete of that team.

mascherano-nigeria_9tqs41lzawpw10g96hv0w

Different tournament, but you can tell that he cares about wearing the kit...

mascherano.jpg?fit=1600,1067&ssl=1

The Argentine midfield was weaker than it should have been in 2010 due to the manager and in 2014 due to people sitting back and watching Messi do his thing rather than work WITH him like the others at Barça did.

Their best midfield was in 2006, when they lost to Germany in a shootout after having to sub out their keeper in the first half and thus were unable to bring on Messi late, because they just had 2 subs to use on field players. (And Germans being German, they had done their research and Jens Lehmann had his cheat sheet of Argie tendencies for each player that he would pull out of his sock and check before each shootout attempt. And it worked.)

Here's their goal against Serbia & Montenegro in 2006 that consisted of 26 touches. 25 passes and one shot on goal. They held the ball for over 70 seconds passing it around before Cambiasso scored off of a beautiful assist. (Diego didn't even pick Champions League champs Cambiasso nor captain Javier Zanetti from Inter Milan, but brought the boyfriend of his girl's best friend.)

Yeah I was wondering whether to include Mascherano or not since he seemed to play a bit further back in 2014 but he was freaking awesome on that team - certainly Kanteesque.

3 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

I believe it will be on TUDN & their streaming service, not just streaming. 

That's how I read it as well.

Probably big games on TUDN and lesser games on PrendeTV for starters, since they just launched.

I just don't care for signing up for a million streaming services. (Or even 2.)