Euro 2020/2021

shnsajax

U21's are playing today. ESPN and ESPN+
Netherlands vs France 
Spain vs Croatia
Denmark vs Germany
Portugal vs Italy

I’m on a plane and got locked into this Portugal/Italy game. What a game. Wide open game from minute 1 and we’re in the second half of extra time. 4-3 and 10-man Italy just missed a chance to tie it by inches.

1 hour ago, Stringer said:

I’m on a plane and got locked into this Portugal/Italy game. What a game. Wide open game from minute 1 and we’re in the second half of extra time. 4-3 and 10-man Italy just missed a chance to tie it by inches.

That was an entertaining game.  I thought the 2nd yellow was harsh.  

On 5/25/2021 at 5:30 PM, ztejas said:

Their front 6 is just fucking stupid. 

"Benzema and Griezmann just aren't getting it done so far"

"Alright guess we'll have to sub in Giroud and Dembele and hope for a miracle"

I mean obviously there's a few stacked teams - it's the Euros - but that France attack is like 2002* Brazil level. 

thing i am most interested to see is what happens when mbappe actually has a true finishing 9 to play with.  he has never really had that before...and certainly not the quality of benzema.  if benzema can anticipate and finish near the goal for whatever mbappe sets up for him, it will be deadly.  oh by the way, there's griezmann on the other side just waiting.

but they screwed them on that group.  one of france, germany, and portugal aren't making it out of group.

40 minutes ago, sidis said:

thing i am most interested to see is what happens when mbappe actually has a true finishing 9 to play with.  he has never really had that before...and certainly not the quality of benzema.  if benzema can anticipate and finish near the goal for whatever mbappe sets up for him, it will be deadly.  oh by the way, there's griezmann on the other side just waiting.

but they screwed them on that group.  one of france, germany, and portugal aren't making it out of group.

Uhh . . . Cavani?  

2 hours ago, sidis said:

technically, they could all make it out.  the 16 team knockout stage will be the 6 group winners, 6 group runners up, and the top 4 third-place teams.  so third place will have a chance, but it could be dodgy depending on how things shake out.

Well they are coached by a guy who was fired by an MLS team last year....

For the life of me I don’t understand how he got the job. I love de Bour, but he’s a shitty coach. Erik ten Hag is absolutely perfect for this job and coming into a great generation of Dutch players, many of which he has already coached at one time.

12 hours ago, shnsajax said:

For the life of me I don’t understand how he got the job. I love de Bour, but he’s a shitty coach. Erik ten Hag is absolutely perfect for this job and coming into a great generation of Dutch players, many of which he has already coached at one time.

Managing at the club level is a lot more interesting and challenging than at a national team, where you rarely get to work with players or shit, even manage games. The stakes are higher but you have far less control and fewer opportunities for success. I can't really think of any in-demand manager in their prime who's chosen country over club, with the possible exception of Jogi Loew, who seems perfect for the role. National team gigs are more desirable for managers in the twilight of their career. 

Or in the case of de Boer, the only gig he can get.

contrast between uefa and concacaf stark with england's 2nd pk (which henderson missed)

the call for the spot kick would have been waived off over here

romanian (first name vlad) launched himself over top of calvert-lewin in the box

it was so unorthodox in concept and execution that no way would a concacaf non-us/canadian ref have whistled it despite obliterating the english attacker

On 6/6/2021 at 1:41 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

contrast between uefa and concacaf stark with england's 2nd pk (which henderson missed)

the call for the spot kick would have been waived off over here

romanian (first name vlad) launched himself over top of calvert-lewin in the box

it was so unorthodox in concept and execution that no way would a concacaf non-us/canadian ref have whistled it despite obliterating the english attacker

I just watched this, WTF is that guy doing??!?!

https://streamable.com/mld1mb

How does the defender think that is going to work out well in any way shape or form?!?!

Edited by Captain Ron

darkhorse pick:  Denmark.  i'm not saying this will be a repeat of 1992, but this team has some good players in key positions.  

Schmeichel in goal; Christensen at center-back; Eriksen, Hojbjerg, and Delaney in the midfield; Braithwaite and Poulsen up top.  they can give Belgium some trouble in Group B.

oh, and Denmark plays all of its group stage matches in Copenhagen.  Belgium is getting fucked.  they play Denmark in Copenhagen and Russia in St. Petersburg.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1