Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

27 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Troubling for an average sitting Senator? Yes
Troubling for Ted Cruz? No. He's been so wrong about every single issue of consequence that even Wolfgang Pauli would be impressed. 

Troubling for a Republican Senator? No. It’s part of their job description.  See: Cruz, Hawley, Paul, McConnell, Rubio, Johnson, Scott (both), Collins, Cornyn, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

CRT is a perfect bogeyman for right-wingers because all 3 words terrify them

Just my opinion here which I'm sure is as unpopular as it is true:

Democrats need to figure out whichever firm or mastermind is think-tanking for the GQP because I've never seen or heard of a PR firm that can so consistently a) quell, dispel and make disappear disasters and b) create awareness and brands and go-to-market/public talking points that are stickier than gorilla glue. It's an advertising masterclass really with deep dives into advertising and psychology and the intersectionality of propaganda.

And it's always either attacking a current democrat political point or it's getting ahead of the democrat political angle/position and snuffing it out before it gains traction.

The best Democrats have been able to do to advance their positions is to pretend that "getting back to normalcy / so glad politics is boring again / Biden is awesome so I can ignore policy again" is a win as they continue to eat their own while bogeyman's die on the vine (e.g. Defund the Police, as an example of horrible sloganeering that divided even Democrats, BLM which is divisive due to a lot of the reasons CRT is, etc.)

6 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Democrats need to figure out whichever firm or mastermind is think-tanking for the GQP because I've never seen or heard of a PR firm that can so consistently a) quell, dispel and make disappear disasters and b) create awareness and brands and go-to-market/public talking points that are stickier than gorilla glue. It's an advertising masterclass really with deep dives into advertising and psychology and the intersectionality of propaganda.

And it's always either attacking a current democrat political point or it's getting ahead of the democrat political angle/position and snuffing it out before it gains traction.

The best Democrats have been able to do to advance their positions is to pretend that "getting back to normalcy / so glad politics is boring again / Biden is awesome so I can ignore policy again" is a win as they continue to eat their own while bogeyman's die on the vine (e.g. Defund the Police, as an example of horrible sloganeering that divided even Democrats, BLM which is divisive due to a lot of the reasons CRT is, etc.)

No, what the Democrats need to keep doing is running issue poll after issue poll, figuring out what people say is important to them (jobs, healthcare, etc.), and telling the American people "we like jobs/healthcare/etc. too! Elect some of us and we can work with Republicans to help give them to you!" 

It'll start working one of these days.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

No, what the Democrats need to keep doing is running issue poll after issue poll, figuring out what people say is important to them (jobs, healthcare, etc.), and telling the American people "we like jobs/healthcare/etc. too! Elect some of us and we can work with Republicans to help give them to you!" 

It'll start working one of these days.

Ha Sarcasm noted. But I'm really not sure what is stopping the Democrats from going full on "ludicrous mode" with their messaging and brand and whipping their people up in a frenzy for the offensive like the Republicans have done. 

I feel like in 2021 there are 4 parties shoe-horned into 2:

1) Progressives/Extreme Left

2) GQP/Alt-right

3) Staid, milquetoast liberal Democrats

4) Staid, milquetoast conservative Republicans

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Ha Sarcasm noted. But I'm really not sure what is stopping the Democrats from going full on "ludicrous mode" with their messaging and brand and whipping their people up in a frenzy for the offensive like the Republicans have done. 

I feel like in 2021 there are 4 parties shoe-horned into 2:

1) Progressives/Extreme Left

2) GQP/Alt-right

3) Staid, milquetoast liberal Democrats

4) Staid, milquetoast conservative Republicans

Liberal Democrats overestimate the conservatism of their constituents and misunderstand what their constituents are conservative about. They'll bend to GOP rhetoric about the deficit and make pointless demonstrations of bipartisanship on shit no gettable voter cares about (like voting for some GOP judicial nominees), despite the fact that moderating on stuff like that will win them literally no votes.

This might or might not have anything to do with the fact that overestimating and misunderstanding their constituents' conservatism in precisely this way helps them get campaign donations from millionaires. Running a shitload of issue polls and going "hmmm, people like healthcare, let's say some nice stuff about healthcare!" doesn't do much to present a coherent Democratic vision for America, nor does it do anything to define the GOP in voters' minds, but it's great at not rocking the boat with rich donors.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Number 4 doesn't exist anymore. Or if it does, it's a minuscule and irrelevant amount of people. 

I think they exist in large number, they've likely just temporarily defected to centrism/democrats (or permanently if there isn't a regression to the mean and the rolling 200 average has changed). Only time will tell.

2020 was a referendum on Trump and alt-right I think there is not question about that. I think a lot of folks banded together against a common enemy, but the sub-issues and micro-issues are so disparate that there is no large common agenda/objective.

Regardless, I feel like Democrats must use these 4 years to get some wins and show value and getting sucked into a bunch of time wasting traps and getting wrapped around axles like fighting the battle of CRT and what it really means academically versus what the evolution/popular idea of the term as a catchall means, is the GOP successfully distracting and acting as a pest to force errors.

I know a doctor in her 70s that has been a milquetoast conservative her entire life. She now gets NewsMax alerts on her cell phone.  There isn't a place in the world anymore for rational Republican voters. They are told the fights they need to fight. CRT is the newest addition. 

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I know a doctor in her 70s that has been a milquetoast conservative her entire life. She now gets NewsMax alerts on her cell phone.  There isn't a place in the world anymore for rational Republican voters. They are told the fights they need to fight. CRT is the newest addition. 

If that is the case, then the only rational and reciprocal warfare is to weaponize and mobilize the crazy left in the same way. Fight fire with fire. Just like with the economic middle class, we are marching towards a world where there are the crazies on the left and the crazies on the right and a squeezed centrist party. Call it the Gen X of politics, I guess.

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

If that is the case, then the only rational and reciprocal warfare is to weaponize and mobilize the crazy left in the same way. Fight fire with fire. Just like with the economic middle class, we are marching towards a world where there are the crazies on the left and the crazies on the right and a squeezed centrist party. Call it the Gen X of politics, I guess.

That's the quandary. If Dems or the left fight back with similar disingenuous bullshit to get what they want, I don't know how you put the craziness back in the box. 

Dems don't need to fight back with lies or propaganda. They need to do a better job defining the GOP in the public's eye, which shouldn't be hard because the truth about the GOP is horrible, and they need to do a better job of delivering economic benefits to the working class when they're in power. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Still convinced that the Biden administration should have made marijuana legalization a priority. It's a slam dunk victory without any real pushback from the GOP. Show people that common sense change is good and effective, then more voters will eventually get on board with more change. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Still convinced that the Biden administration should have made marijuana legalization a priority. It's a slam dunk victory without any real pushback from the GOP. Show people that common sense change is good and effective, then more voters will eventually get on board with more change. 

Yeah, this gets into another problem that I didn't want to bring up above because it'd distract from the greater point about how centrist Dems are incentivized to misunderstand their constituents, but a ton of these people actually legitimately fell for the GOP bullshit on a bunch of stuff for a long time. They really think weed is horrible, that the deficit matters, etc. So even when presented with incontrovertible proof in various forms that the public largely doesn't give a shit about this stuff, they still don't change direction because they think legalizing weed, for example, would actually be bad.

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

tougher audience

(edit: this is largely snark but is also true but also democrats are 1000% awful at messaging)

Edited by Celery Man

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think legal marijuana is probably one of the few true bipartisan/universally agreed upon things these days, so I agree.

2 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Part of the Democrats' problem is that they encompass so many political philosophies, from right of center to flaming, six-sigma left of the mean.

A lot of ideas come from the flaming bomb-throwers, and they're not without merit even to the right of center types.  But the rhetoric gets set by the bomb-throwers.  The publitards focus on the "origins" or the far-left adherents/interpretations of an idea, like CRT, or GND, or Defund the Police and the fundamental merit of the idea gets lost.

• Hook 'Em 3

But DeSantis and state Sen. Ray Rodrigues, the sponsor of the bill, suggested Tuesday that budget cuts could be looming if universities and colleges are found to be “indoctrinating” students.

noun
noun: indoctrination
  1. the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically

Critical race theory (CRT) is an academic movement of civil-rights scholars and activists in the United States who seek to critically examine the law as it intersects with issues of race and to challenge mainstream liberal approaches to racial justice.

Florida civics curriculum will incorporate foundational concepts with the best materials, and it will expressly exclude unsanctioned narratives like critical race theory and other unsubstantiated theories," he said.

"There is no room in classrooms for things like critical race theory," emphasized DeSantis

I think I found the indoctrination 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Idiocracy. 

I guarantee most of those people don't have children in that system. Hell, I'd bet a lot of them don't live in the area at all. 

Edited by Dahobbs

The Russian Disinformation Dept must be high fiving themselves when they see that school district meeting.

Crowd: We dont' want that critical race bs in our district

School district leadership group: we don't teach it. Next topic.

Crowd: BS, the facebook/Parler told me otherwise.

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

That's some grassroots/populism movement gaining traction and that is whiter than mayonnaise. It's like the counterbalance to the BLM summer '20. Ebbs and flows, I guess, the pendulum swings and the bell tolls for thee.

Yes, the "counterbalance" to good is evil. But, may I humbly suggest that you shouldn't be rooting for evil. We don't need balance in the force.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

That's some grassroots/populism movement gaining traction and that is whiter than mayonnaise. It's like the counterbalance to the BLM summer '20. Ebbs and flows, I guess, the pendulum swings and the bell tolls for thee.

It is the equivalent of astroturfing through disinformation and right wing propaganda.  Fox News is riling up the folks like they did with the Tea Party.  GOP apparatus is sending on-staff paid consultants out to act as concerned parents without disclosing who they work for.  

It's culture war bullshit. 

17 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

guess this goes here?

That's about as good a way to say it quickly as can be done. It should be taught at the college level, just as Marx, Engels, and Lenin should be taught.  Maybe not so much Lenin.

Again, it's a misdirection, though.  Because no one is teaching actual Critical Race Theory to "school age" kids.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's about as good a way to say it quickly as can be done. It should be taught at the college level, just as Marx, Engels, and Lenin should be taught.  Maybe not so much Lenin.

Again, it's a misdirection, though.  Because no one is teaching actual Critical Race Theory to "school age" kids.

Except some things that the Fox news crowd lumps in with "Critical Race Theory" are simple facts that, you know, should maybe be taught.  Like, MAYBE when southern states have their schools teach about the Civil War, and its causes and such....MAYBE they could admit that slavery of black people was kinda sort central?  You know, JUST LIKE the states themselves said in their declarations of secession?

In all the non-slave-holding States, in violation of that good faith and comity which should exist between entirely distinct nations, the people have formed themselves into a great sectional party, now strong enough in numbers to control the affairs of each of those States, based upon the unnatural feeling of hostility to these Southern States and their beneficent and patriarchal system of African slavery, proclaiming the debasing doctrine of the equality of all men, irrespective of race or color--a doctrine at war with nature, in opposition to the experience of mankind, and in violation of the plainest revelations of the Divine Law. They demand the abolition of negro slavery throughout the confederacy, the recognition of political equality between the white and the negro races, and avow their determination to press on their crusade against us, so long as a negro slave remains in these States.

We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

That in this free government all white men are and of right ought to be entitled to equal civil and political rights; that the servitude of the African race, as existing in these States, is mutually beneficial to both bond and free, and is abundantly authorized and justified by the experience of mankind, and the revealed will of the Almighty Creator, as recognized by all Christian nations; while the destruction of the existing relations between the two races, as advocated by our sectional enemies, would bring inevitable calamities upon both and desolation upon the fifteen slave-holding States.

That's not "critical race theory."  It is 1) an undeniable fact, as it is exactly what Texas declared, and 2) the people against anything they think is "critical race theory" do NOT want that fact taught.

Yes, children in elementary and middle school will be taught things about American history that necessarily include an intersection with race.  The fact that our system has been lying to them and hiding the truth for decades/centuries is the EXACT problem that CRT points out and would have us remedy.  We don't have to teach our kids "sides" -- just teach them the truth, about what was ACTUALLY said, and what ACTUALLY happened.  But of course.....truth is very, very dangerous to people whose very identity and power structure depends on the lie.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

White people just cannot accept the fact that they are beneficiaries of an inequitable racial hierarchy. It really bothers them to know that.

Our society is kinda organized around the selfishness of white men and there isn’t much better evidence of it than Donald Trump being elevated to the presidency.

The shining city upon a hill, American exceptionalism, manifest destiny, white man’s burden, under God, rugged individualism....

200+ years of this bullshit hardwired into the psyche is not going to be easy to overcome. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

There are posters here that basically believe that, freeing the slaves and declaring non-white people as equal, was enough. I recall a thread where someone with that attitude surprisingly stated he was ok with reparations but only the condition that black people shut up about racism as a condition. SMH.