Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

3 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Just heard the song and thought “this is good and factual and true and probably good CRT in action.”

do you disagree on that basis?

That's not CRT at all.

Teaching the seamier aspects of our racial history, unflinchingly, is what Republitards are bitching about and calling CRT.

CRT undertakes to study existing inequality in opportunity and outcome and explains how current and past legal and social structures are racist in origin or operation or both and wind up undermining the advancement of people of color, but primarily blacks.

Some thinking on diversity may be influenced by aspects of CRT, but that doesn't make it CRT.

• Hook 'Em 2

critical race theory is a way to think about what is the roll of law in the continuing reality of large racial disparities in society despite the attempted move to a color blind society.  that's it.  it's mostly for law schools, usually the big fancy ones that publish big time law journals.  outside of law schools you might find it in graduate level studies in sociology and history (which may even be given by the law school profs).  maybe you'd get it in a upper division seminar in undergrad.  it's not being taught to first graders.  it's not being taught in high schools. 

the moral panic that the right has astroturfed about critical race theory has nothing to do with critical race theory and everything to do with the right needing to keep the base enraged and have a boogeyman to tar.  and if it happens to advance the status quo of a bunch of old white men controlling most of society's resources then the more the better.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

But I was told America was chosen by God to be a paradise for white christians. 

That's politics, not religion.

. . . And far too broad a stroke towards people of faith, if I may say. The groups you allude to are a white identity subset that uses religious motifs. They are a dangerous outgrowth of self-declared and open white power movements.

No need to insult the good Methodists and the Presbyterians.

Edited by washparkhorn
subject/verb agreement
  • Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

WRT to #11.  Since it's cancel culture and being a woke pussy to refer to the colonies, what am I supposed to say the 13 stripes on the American flag represent to my daughter this past Independence Day weekend?  The 13 dicks Dan Patrick sucked on the way to the parking lot?  

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Nikole Hannah-Jones tells UNC to suck her dick, goes to Howard

Huge get for Howard, combined with a writing-teaching position for Te-Nehisi Coates and a $20 million gift to fund the enterprise. 

Chapel Hill looks like a total limp dick. I thought you were a Public Ivy, bro. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

csbalert/ Got a call this morning from the GM of one of the clubs on UT campus.  As a board member, I had to sign off on the expulsion of a couple folks (1 faculty, 1 guest) from the club for life.  So I had to read the report and get the whole story.  Apparently this guest was with a faculty member for dinner last week and started shouting the "N" word over and over again, presumably to prove some sort of fucked up point in her head about cancel culture.  And the faculty member was encouraging her.  After about a dozen staff reports read to me, I signed off, wrote a note about they're gonna think this is about censorship, but it's about community norms.  Our employees don't need to hear this shit at work.  

Being 2021, I asked the GM, "And let me guess...the female guest shouting racial slurs on a campus of higher education.  I'm not gonna guess who she voted for, that's too easy.  But I'll bet you dinner at the club...she's a realtor."  Sure enough, I won.  /csb

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

csbalert/ Got a call this morning from the GM of one of the clubs on UT campus.  As a board member, I had to sign off on the expulsion of a couple folks (1 faculty, 1 guest) from the club for life.  So I had to read the report and get the whole story.  Apparently this guest was with a faculty member for dinner last week and started shouting the "N" word over and over again, presumably to prove some sort of fucked up point in her head about cancel culture.  And the faculty member was encouraging her.  After about a dozen staff reports read to me, I signed off, wrote a note about they're gonna think this is about censorship, but it's about community norms.  Our employees don't need to hear this shit at work.  

Being 2021, I asked the GM, "And let me guess...the female guest shouting racial slurs on a campus of higher education.  I'm not gonna guess who she voted for, that's too easy.  But I'll bet you dinner at the club...she's a realtor."  Sure enough, I won.  /csb

You should have introduced then to a term befitting their actions; consequence culture.

• Hook 'Em 6

7 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

Huge get for Howard, combined with a writing-teaching position for Te-Nehisi Coates and a $20 million gift to fund the enterprise. 

Chapel Hill looks like a total limp dick. I thought you were a Public Ivy, bro. 

Mack will have to deal with some of the blowback resulting from the shabby treatment of an award winning, highly credentialed black alumna. Well done, UNC.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Satchel said:

You should have introduced then to a term befitting their actions; consequence culture.

Yes, I'll be borrowing that term so thank you.  I wrote a note to them on behalf of the board so there'd be no misunderstanding that we decided to boot them, there's no place for that in our community-oriented club.  Neither employee (many of whom are students) nor member should be anywhere around that kinda shit, but that if they felt like it was 'cancel culture' run amok...we could talk privately.  I know her realtor office won't give a shit.  Being a racist asshole in Texas real estate has completely jumped the shark in 2021.  But if the professor makes a fucking sound about this, I'm reporting this to his Dean and he'll be harangued, and rightfully so, by his colleagues.  

Anyway, it's a small gesture to combat a huge wrong.  But I just did not expect the day after our holiday weekend to have "Racist public tirade on campus, and Lobo gotta be the one to tell 'em to haul ass" on my 2021 Bingo Card.  I thought they were calling to tell me about how I won the club raffle for free golf next month.  

It's a technical term, so no - I appreciate precise language. 

Micro-aggressions can and often do create mental health issues, so precise language is useful. 

This is just a continuation of the "I hate political correctness" culture. Silly and needlessly divisive. 

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

But they aren't just plain old demeaning statements and actions. They are a very specific type of statements/actions/societal reinforcements.

You don't think "diminishments" would start to grind your gears either?

I just don't like jargon.  From MBAs or intersectional theorists. "Cohort" is another term high on my gear-grinding list.

I haven't seen an example of a micro-aggression that isn't perfectly well described by demeaning statement or action.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 6/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, tigol said:

Well, spelling improved.

I was trying to say something cute about "apposed", but when I looked it up I got this:

-----------

appose / oppose

These two spellings originally meant the same thing, but now “appose” is a rare word having to do with placing one thing close to or on something else (compare with juxtapose). It mainly occurs today as an error spelling-checkers won’t catch when the word intended is “oppose,” meaning to be against something. If you object to a proposed course of action, you are opposed (not “apposed”) to it.

-----------

This is the sort of thing I would have learned in school if I hadn't felt threatened by having that small Black child sit over there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2021 at 11:52 AM, Lobo said:

Pretty bold move to start N-bombing while her food was being prepared off-stage.

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I just don't like jargon.  From MBAs or intersectional theorists. "Cohort" is another term high on my gear-grinding list.

I haven't seen an example of a micro-aggression that isn't perfectly well described by demeaning statement or action.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

The chafing doesn't come from the word, but from having to consider a wider gamut of issues.

How do you read BT's response to my post (that questioned your dislike of microaggression)? Did you feel like it was demeaning to me? Would you call that a demeaning response to my post?

To me, it felt like a classic example of mansplaining, albeit a fairly "micro" example. 

8 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

How do you read BT's response to my post (that questioned your dislike of microaggression)? Did you feel like it was demeaning to me? Would you call that a demeaning response to my post?

To me, it felt like a classic example of mansplaining, albeit a fairly "micro" example. 

Isn't a micro aggression just being an ass?

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

No he won’t.

Watch. This is far from over:

The latest letter of support was written by Yale University Professor Glenda Gilmore, a 1992 graduate of UNC, writer Ta-Nehisi Coates, and Johns Hopkins University Professor Martha Jones. It is co-signed by 238 historians, artists, writers, former UNC athletes and activists.

https://www.wral.com/historians-artists-athletes-activists-nikole-hannah-jones-controversy-at-unc-part-of-rising-tide-of-suppression/19695029/

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-wcs-1st-grader-sally

The M Family sent their 1st grader to **** Elementary in Williamson County, TN, for the 2020 - 2021 school year, never once suspecting that she would return home emotionally traumatized. In the aftermath of her exposure to the toxic Wit & Wisdom curriculum, Sally* needs the assistance of a child psychologist to help her work through the dark, sometimes suidical, thoughts. Counseling is expensive and it has created a tremendous financial burden for the M family. We as a community can come together to help shoulder that burden, heal this family, and help restore Sally to the happy, carefree 7 year old that she once was. Please consider donating to help cover the cost of counseling. 

TL;DR.  Mom starts a $5,000 GoFundMe for her 7 year old daughter's counseling because CRT was being taught in her 1st grade class and now the child is having suicidal thoughts.

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

Well, first, it's a b_t drive-by post, which is of limited value, typically.  I think it tried to insinuate that I don't believe in common and frequent demeaning statements and actions, of a subtle nature, by majority types against minority types, and similar concepts related to the daily debasement of minorities.

I didn't feel like you were questioning whether I believed in the existence of "micro-aggressions," which I do.  

So, yes, to the extent b_t put words in your mouth, that was demeaning, or a nano-aggression.  Perhaps a pico-aggression.

Although b_t engages in that kind of aggression with white males like me with great regularity, so I didn't see it as a sexist aggression.

39 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-wcs-1st-grader-sally

TL;DR.  Mom starts a $5,000 GoFundMe for her 7 year old daughter's counseling because CRT was being taught in her 1st grade class and now the child is having suicidal thoughts.

I rather highly doubt that any aspect of CRT or anything even close, is being taught to first graders in Williamson County, Tennefuckingsee.

Here's some elaboration. https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2021/06/11/wit-wisdom-curriculum-williamson-county-schools-critical-race-theory-criticism/5192703001/

The principal objection seems to be the reading by 1st graders of "Ruby Bridges Goes to School."

ETA:  on reflection, it does seem that talking about police barricades and protestor violence is a bit strong for first grade, whether in a racial context or not.  I don't remember anything very content-heavy in first grade reading.

Edited by TwiceHorn