Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

Meh, Yang is a thoughtful guy. Twitter is not a format for communicating anything but simple messages. It is hard enough to communicate effectively on here where we can ramble on and on.

There is nothing wrong with math guys or tech bros or liberal arts people. Y’all just invent shit to divide you.
I am trying to figure out the point that everyone is trying to make. Yang seems like a decent enough guy. John Legend seems like a decent enough guy. I'm needing some context for Yang's initial tweet so I can understand Legend's apparent clapback.

Twitter is a shit medium for context.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yang tweeted a stupid thing, which doesn’t make him an evil guy, but nobody is saying that. It’s just a dumb fucking thing that he tweeted. If you want to make a point that we should do a thing, point to an example of if being successful rather than an example of it being fairly catastrophic. Saying “we should rethink the automobile, as did Ford with the Pinto” is stupid even if rethinking the automobile might be a good idea. Saying that doesn’t make you a piece of shit though. But it’s not a thoughtful thing to say, and failing to understand how to Twitter after running for president also does not indicate a high degree of thoughtfulness.

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

poverty cuts a groove in your brain that is very difficult to overcome.  that's not just supposition on your part, that's an actual thing.  the biological mechanism is your brain on stress hormones all the time. 

Yeah that was detailed in the book @Nivek mentioned up top. I've drank a bunch since reading it so I've forgotten most of it, but the stress and trauma desperate poverty inflicts on some of those kids (particularly those dwelling in dangerous neighborhoods) wreaks havoc on their bodies and minds over the course of their childhood.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

They thought they needed him to help shore up the vote in the border states after some radical Republicans initially refused to support Lincoln. It ended up being completely unnecessary, though.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought that was the time period where whoever finished 2nd was named VP?

15 hours ago, trauma babe said:

I've mentioned it multiple times over the last few years, but we have evidence that money and power, or the lack thereof, physically alters the morphology of the brain.

I believe the psychologist Bowen worked this out as well.  

18 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Yang tweeted a stupid thing, which doesn’t make him an evil guy, but nobody is saying that. It’s just a dumb fucking thing that he tweeted. If you want to make a point that we should do a thing, point to an example of if being successful rather than an example of it being fairly catastrophic. Saying “we should rethink the automobile, as did Ford with the Pinto” is stupid even if rethinking the automobile might be a good idea. Saying that doesn’t make you a piece of shit though. But it’s not a thoughtful thing to say, and failing to understand how to Twitter after running for president also does not indicate a high degree of thoughtfulness.

IIRC Roosevelt talked with people he disagreed with (possibly as advisers?) because he didn't want to be surrounded by yes-men. 

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

IIRC Roosevelt talked with people he disagreed with (possibly as advisers?) because he didn't want to be surrounded by yes-men. 

are you suggesting that that would have been a better example for Yang, or does that relate to what I said in some way that I don't understand

19 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

are you suggesting that that would have been a better example for Yang, or does that relate to what I said in some way that I don't understand

yes, I was as clear as mud.  But the first part.

• Hook 'Em 1

Another teacher fired.

Southwest Missouri high school teacher accused of using critical race theory loses job

A school board in southwest Missouri voted not to renew the contract of a teacher after parents accused her of using critical race theory.

Kim Morrison, an English teacher at Greenfield High School, said the vote in mid-March came shortly after allegations surfaced about a worksheet she used as part of teaching the book "Dear Martin."

This was her second year teaching the award-winning young adult novel about racism in an elective contemporary literature class. It was the first year students were assigned a 15-question worksheet called "How Racially Privileged Are You?"

In late February, Morrison said she was called to the office of high school principal Jennifer Roberts and told there had been complaints from parents.

"That first meeting, when she showed me that she had a copy of the handout and she wanted to know the context, she said the people she's hearing from said that this is CRT," Morrison recalled. "I said 'Well, it's not CRT. I don't know what CRT is because I didn't go to law school and we didn't cover it in grad school. This isn't it.

"I said discussing racism is not CRT and she said she understood but that this is what she is hearing."

What is critical race theory? 

Critical race theory, developed decades ago by legal scholars, argues that race is a social construct and racism has been embedded in policies and legal systems in the U.S.

In recent years, the theory has become a political lightning rod. Critics argue it attacks mainstream institutions ranging from public schools to courtrooms, has roots in Marxism, fuels racism, perpetuates stereotypes, and undermines academic freedom.

Opponents have also attempted to label any effort to combat racism or promote equity, diversity and inclusion as CRT.

Morrison said she explained the worksheet — which she purchased from a database of instructional materials — was intended to help students examine their own experiences and vantage point. It was not meant to prompt class discussion.

"It was to prepare students for the conversation that was going to happen between two characters that we were about to read," she said.

Morrison, in her fourth year in Greenfield, was called to the office again in mid-March, a couple of days before a school board meeting.

"(The principal) was still fielding complaints," Morrison said. "That's when I got concerned that my conversation with her two weeks prior hadn't resolved anything."

She asked to meet with Superintendent Chris Kell after school March 16, the day of the board meeting.

"I requested a meeting and he didn't ask me why. When I went in there, he started the conversation and said that we didn't know if I would be rehired or not," she said. "He could not predict."

Board votes not to renew teacher's contract after CRT complaints 

In closed session, the board voted not to renew Morrison's contract. She followed up by asking for the reason, in writing.

The March 23 letter from the superintendent, obtained by the News-Leader, said he was responding to her request on behalf of the board.

In the letter, Kell confirmed the board's decision not to rehire Morrison for the 2022-23 year. It stated this reason: "Your decision to incorporate the worksheet associated with the novel 'Dear Martin,' due to the content and subject matter."

In a subsequent interview with the News-Leader, Kell said the vote was not unanimous. He said the vote not to rehire Morrison went against his recommendation and that of the high school principal.

"There was administrative support for her return," he said.

TL:DR - teacher assigned the book "Dear Martin" for her contemporary literature class as she had since Spring'21. This time however she included a worksheet that the school had purchased from an instructional vendor titled "How Racially Privileged Are You?" that accompanied the book. A student was upset about taking a "racial privilege quiz" and commented it was "trying to make me feel guilty for being white." (worksheet below)

373d232f-e754-4c52-999c-983713b40fe6-Gre

The school board fired the Morrison without talking to her at all because of the above worksheet. Morrison said the school board did not directly ask her about the worksheet or allegations of critical race theory.

• Rage+1 1

True  Untrue  16. I don't understand what critical race theory is or that it is a verb and I confuse people understanding how society works with white people being discriminated against.

Edited by elfenix

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Another teacher fired.

Southwest Missouri high school teacher accused of using critical race theory loses job

TL:DR - teacher assigned the book "Dear Martin" for her contemporary literature class as she had since Spring'21. This time however she included a worksheet that the school had purchased from an instructional vendor titled "How Racially Privileged Are You?" that accompanied the book. A student was upset about taking a "racial privilege quiz" and commented it was "trying to make me feel guilty for being white." (worksheet below)

373d232f-e754-4c52-999c-983713b40fe6-Gre

The school board fired the Morrison without talking to her at all because of the above worksheet. Morrison said the school board did not directly ask her about the worksheet or allegations of critical race theory.

Fucking snowflakes. I know I’m advantaged because I’m white. I don’t feel guilty about it. It’s not my fault. But it’s true. Why should I feel guilty about it? Unless...hmmm...let’s see...maybe if I actually thought my whiteness made me superior to others and I didn’t want to be reminded about it. That might explain it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

And here I thought people only bought bandaids for covering wounds.  

Much I marvelled this ungainly 'ow' to see it bleed so plainly,
Though the scratch little meaning—little relevancy bore;
For we cannot help agreeing that no living human being
Ever yet was cursed with seeing mismatch around this sore—
Brown Band-Aid upon white skin around this bleeding sore,
            With such claim as "Nevermore."

Talk about history repeating itself and all that jazz…

Currently reading Forget the Alamo and came upon the part describing how back in 1897, one Alexander Hensley wasn’t too keen on how a new prof (David Houston, no relations to Sam) at Texas was… teaching history with an academic lens. Quote:

“It is currently reported that there has been employed and included in the faculty of said University those who are out of touch and not in sympathy with the traditions of the South, but hold our traditions and our institutions in contempt, and circulate and teach political heresies in place of the system of political economy that is cherished by our people.”

Dude wanted the university to only hire faculty that was in sympathy with Southern political institutions. Lol. 

Edited by YChang

Llano fucking county of all places is suing over book bans.  

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-residents-sue-county-removing-books-firing-librarian/story?id=84314477&cid=social_twitter_abcnp

Texas residents sue county for removing books on race, sex education
American Library Association says a record total of books have been targeted.

ByKiara Alfonseca
April 26, 2022, 11:36 AM
A group of residents in Llano County, Texas, is suing county officials for removing books from public libraries because officials "disagree with the ideas within them."

The residents say the county is violating their first amendment rights by removing award-winning books from shelves due to their content and terminating "access to over 17,000 digital books” from the local library system.

“Public libraries are not places of government indoctrination,” the lawsuit filed Monday reads.

It continued, “They are not places where the people in power can dictate what their citizens are permitted to read about and learn. When government actors target public library books because they disagree with and intend to suppress the ideas contained within them, it jeopardizes the freedoms of everyone.”

Several of the books listed in the lawsuit that have been removed from libraries include adult works about oppression and racism like “Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents,” by journalist Isabel Wilkerson, and “They Called Themselves the K.K.K.: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group” by Susan Campbell Bartoletti.

The lawsuit also listed some of the children's books that have been removed: Maurice Sendak’s "In the Night Kitchen" is about a boy's dream of making a cake, and Robie H. Harris’s "It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health" is a sex education book about the biology of the human body.

"Though Plaintiffs differ in their ages, professions, and individual religious and political beliefs, they are fiercely united in their love for reading public library books and in their belief that the government cannot dictate which books they can and cannot read," the lawsuit read.

The complaint states that the library system's policy claims that “in no case should any book be excluded because of race or nationality or the political or religious views of the writer."

In December 2021, the Llano County Library shut down for several days to review the children’s books in the library. The move followed a directive from Matt Krause, the chairman of the Texas House Committee on General Investigating.

He asked districts to provide insight into library material that discussed human sexuality "or contain[ed] material that might make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex or convey that a student, by virtue of their race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously."

Shortly after, in January 2022, the court voted to dissolve the existing library board and appointed a new board of residents advocating for the removal of the aforementioned books, according to the lawsuit.

Several plaintiffs wanted to join the new board but say they were refused due to their "public stances against ongoing censorship efforts in the County."

One plaintiff, according to the lawsuit, "holds a master’s degree in Library and Information Science, previously managed the rare books collection at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, and formerly served on a library board in Wichita Falls." He says he was refused a position on the new board.

Other plaintiffs say they were fired from the previous library board or would not be considered for a position on the new board.

The lawsuit also claims that one librarian was fired after refusing to remove books from the shelf.

Llano County declined to comment to ABC News about the lawsuit.

In a past statement, County Judge Ron Cunningham told The Washington Post that the county was “cognizant of the concerns of our citizens pertaining to our library system.”

He claimed that “a portion of the public and media have chosen to propagate disinformation that Llano County (and other rural communities) are operating with political or phobic motivations," and said that such was not the case.

Llano County is just one of many nationwide fired up about the restriction of subjects in public libraries and schools.

Republican-backed efforts across the country, including what critics call the "Don't Say Gay" law in Florida or the anti-race education legislation, aim to limit speech and/or content on race, gender and sexual orientation.

The American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF) has tracked a record-breaking number of book challenges, or attempts to ban or remove books, in 2021.

"In 2021, libraries found themselves at the center of attacks orchestrated by conservative parent groups and right-wing media that targeted books about race, gender, and LGBTQIA+ issues for removal from public and school library shelves and, in some cases, included threats of book burning," the organization stated in its "State of America's Libraries" study.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

42 minutes ago, Ten Bears said:

Llano fucking county of all places is suing over book bans.  

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-residents-sue-county-removing-books-firing-librarian/story?id=84314477&cid=social_twitter_abcnp

Texas residents sue county for removing books on race, sex education
American Library Association says a record total of books have been targeted.

ByKiara Alfonseca
April 26, 2022, 11:36 AM
A group of residents in Llano County, Texas, is suing county officials for removing books from public libraries because officials "disagree with the ideas within them."

The residents say the county is violating their first amendment rights by removing award-winning books from shelves due to their content and terminating "access to over 17,000 digital books” from the local library system.

“Public libraries are not places of government indoctrination,” the lawsuit filed Monday reads.

It continued, “They are not places where the people in power can dictate what their citizens are permitted to read about and learn. When government actors target public library books because they disagree with and intend to suppress the ideas contained within them, it jeopardizes the freedoms of everyone.”

Several of the books listed in the lawsuit that have been removed from libraries include adult works about oppression and racism like “Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents,” by journalist Isabel Wilkerson, and “They Called Themselves the K.K.K.: The Birth of an American Terrorist Group” by Susan Campbell Bartoletti.

The lawsuit also listed some of the children's books that have been removed: Maurice Sendak’s "In the Night Kitchen" is about a boy's dream of making a cake, and Robie H. Harris’s "It’s Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health" is a sex education book about the biology of the human body.

"Though Plaintiffs differ in their ages, professions, and individual religious and political beliefs, they are fiercely united in their love for reading public library books and in their belief that the government cannot dictate which books they can and cannot read," the lawsuit read.

The complaint states that the library system's policy claims that “in no case should any book be excluded because of race or nationality or the political or religious views of the writer."

In December 2021, the Llano County Library shut down for several days to review the children’s books in the library. The move followed a directive from Matt Krause, the chairman of the Texas House Committee on General Investigating.

He asked districts to provide insight into library material that discussed human sexuality "or contain[ed] material that might make students feel discomfort, guilt, anguish, or any other form of psychological distress because of their race or sex or convey that a student, by virtue of their race or sex, is inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously."

Shortly after, in January 2022, the court voted to dissolve the existing library board and appointed a new board of residents advocating for the removal of the aforementioned books, according to the lawsuit.

Several plaintiffs wanted to join the new board but say they were refused due to their "public stances against ongoing censorship efforts in the County."

One plaintiff, according to the lawsuit, "holds a master’s degree in Library and Information Science, previously managed the rare books collection at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, and formerly served on a library board in Wichita Falls." He says he was refused a position on the new board.

Other plaintiffs say they were fired from the previous library board or would not be considered for a position on the new board.

The lawsuit also claims that one librarian was fired after refusing to remove books from the shelf.

Llano County declined to comment to ABC News about the lawsuit.

In a past statement, County Judge Ron Cunningham told The Washington Post that the county was “cognizant of the concerns of our citizens pertaining to our library system.”

He claimed that “a portion of the public and media have chosen to propagate disinformation that Llano County (and other rural communities) are operating with political or phobic motivations," and said that such was not the case.

Llano County is just one of many nationwide fired up about the restriction of subjects in public libraries and schools.

Republican-backed efforts across the country, including what critics call the "Don't Say Gay" law in Florida or the anti-race education legislation, aim to limit speech and/or content on race, gender and sexual orientation.

The American Library Association’s Office for Intellectual Freedom (OIF) has tracked a record-breaking number of book challenges, or attempts to ban or remove books, in 2021.

"In 2021, libraries found themselves at the center of attacks orchestrated by conservative parent groups and right-wing media that targeted books about race, gender, and LGBTQIA+ issues for removal from public and school library shelves and, in some cases, included threats of book burning," the organization stated in its "State of America's Libraries" study.

Yeah this is more than just banning from school libraries - this is pulling books from public libraries. This is a pretty bright red fascist line.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Republicans in the South have made a political calculation that says it’s better to keep young impressionable white children ignorant about our history and the world around them, than to encourage critical thinking that could result in them voting blue. It’s why Florida teachers are forbidden from explaining how Desantis’ redistricting plan disadvantages black voters.

I think it’s time to start running around yelling and screaming about replacement theory being taught in the schools. If a teacher even so much as utters the word replacement, he/she should be fired immediately. 

Oh, and this:

Does it seem racist to anyone that the university is creating a degree that will focus on taking money from black people and 4-5 years of their life in exchange for a piece of paper that qualifies the graduate to work a min wage job?

How perfectly A&M to assume that those who pursue this course of study are all black.

15 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Jesus.

The University of Alabama - ALABAMA - has had that degree program for decades.

I don’t think the major is offered anywhere else in Texas despite there being more African American here than anywhere in the country.

11 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I don’t think the major is offered anywhere else in Texas despite there being more African American here than anywhere in the country.

Maybe not the exact same major, but we've had this for a while:

image.png.76a449ec975942e2570e76d580b7f72b.png

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, the irony.

A bunch of animal science majors at a vocational school are mistaking trade skills like milking a cow for having a higher education, they lack the education to see the irony.

aggy does not teach critical thinking just turdition.

21 minutes ago, F250 said:

A bunch of animal science majors at a vocational school are mistaking trade skills like milking a cow for having a higher education, they lack the education to see the irony.

aggy does not teach critical thinking just turdition.

This aggy became the Sec’y of Energy in the Trump administration, mainly because he and Trump are the same level of smart:

A source in Texas passed The Huffington Post Perry's transcripts from his years at Texas A&M University. The future politician did not distinguish himself much in the classroom. While he later became a student leader, he had to get out of academic probation to do so. He rarely earned anything above a C in his courses -- earning a C in U.S. History, a D in Shakespeare, and a D in the principles of economics. Perry got a C in gym.

Perry also did poorly on classes within his animal science major. In fall semester 1970, he received a D in veterinary anatomy, a F in a second course on organic chemistry and a C in animal breeding. He did get an A in world military systems and “Improv. of Learning” -- his only two As while at A&M

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Juneteenth.  I graduated in '97 from Moore High in buttfuck, America.  Some of you know that as Oklahoma.  I never heard one word about what happened in Tulsa.  The bigots on the right would be so proud to hear that.  But fuck them...today, I'll throw Juneteenth in their face.  

• Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Juneteenth.  I graduated in '97 from Moore High in buttfuck, America.  Some of you know that as Oklahoma.  I never heard one word about what happened in Tulsa.  The bigots on the right would be so proud to hear that.  But fuck them...today, I'll throw Juneteenth in their face.  

I only learned about Tulsa several years ago. I also just recently learned about the 1898 Wilmington Massacre.

https://time.com/5861644/1898-wilmington-massacre-essential-lesson-state-violence/