San Antonio Spurs 2021 Offseason Thread -- Wandering the Desert

Patrick Bateman

12 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Just throwing this out there, but would you sign and trade Derozan for Ben Simmons? Simmons is 24, completely broken mentally to the point where he can't play in crunch time, and on the books for 4 years / $140 million. I think I would do it so fast it would make Darrel Morey's head spin.

In a fucking heartbeat...... You run, don't walk to hit accept on that trade offer.  Simmons is still a premier defender and very good passer.  You play his strengths, work with him on finding a 3 pointer, abandon the idea of a mid-range game, and hope he becomes uber-Jason Kidd.  Or Jason Kidd - lite except much taller.  There is no upside to DeRozan for the Spurs.  It would probably take more than DD.  Let's throw in Rudy Gay!!!!

We don't really need another guard, specifically one who isn't a great shooter and has injury issues, but again DD is simply a wasted asset on the Spurs.  So, smaller contract, ability to move up in the draft, and maybe the chance to flip Ball in a year..... sure, why not.  I don't think it's a great deal or anything but if it's the best we could do in the hypothetical, then okay.  Spurs lack vision right now instead just trying to scrounge out an existence year to year, they need to embrace a multi-year rebuild at this point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:33 PM, Llogg said:

Spurs send DD + #12 to Pels for #10 and Lonzo. Yay or nay?

Yes. 100%. I still think Lonzo has some upside - especially under Pop.

I also wouldn't hate taking Kai but I don't think he will be the best front court guy still on the board at 12. I think he will be a good NBA player but I worry about his floor.

Portland dragging SA into their downward spiral. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2945304-inside-the-highly-scrutinized-nba-head-coaching-hires-in-portland-dallas

Hammon impressed Portland officials and was generally liked among Blazers staffers, sources said. But when Portland reached out for intel from San Antonio figures, the background on Hammon was not nearly as complimentary pertaining to various aspects of day-to-day coaching responsibilities. That sentiment has been echoed by sources around the league. Blazers personnel then cast doubt that Hammon was the candidate to steer the ship through such delicate waters with Lillard.

11 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Should I know who that author is? Because he's slinging a little bit of shit there and then he pops up with this gem:

It's believed Carlisle felt threatened by the inroads Mosley made with his roster. At 42, Mosley is still able to get on the court and "defend" players in post-practice drills, in turn building a strong rapport.

Whaaaat? Rick Carlisle, who has been a head coach for 20 years, and a pretty good one at that, is threatened by an assistant because he can guard players after practice? Also, it's no wonder that the Mavs got bounced if their guys are being checked by a 42 year old coach. Is this like the NBA equivalent of Bennie Wylie working out with the players? And then Dallas ended up not hiring Mosley, anyway, in favor of Jason Kidd. 

I'm not that up on the Mavs comings and goings, but my take is that Carlisle pulled to cord because their front office is a shitshow and that they are going to cede all organizational decision making to whatever the fuck Doncic wants. 

So this isn't my first preference, but I knew it would be talked about considering DD being from the WC and ring hunting.

The idea is basically a S&T with the Lakers getting Demar for Kuzma, Harrell, and the 22nd pick in this year.  

That would mean the Spurs brain trust got:  Jakob, Kuzma, Harrell, Keldon Johnson and low first rounder for one of the top 5 or 6 players in basketball when they could have gotten Ingram and Ball and/or maybe Randle in that package with probably another first rounder or so.  Oh, they got 3 years of DD and 2 non playoffs and a first round exit.  That is horrific and many other front office decision makers would probably be fired this type of mismanagement.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So this isn't my first preference, but I knew it would be talked about considering DD being from the WC and ring hunting.

The idea is basically a S&T with the Lakers getting Demar for Kuzma, Harrell, and the 22nd pick in this year.  

That would mean the Spurs brain trust got:  Jakob, Kuzma, Harrell, Keldon Johnson and low first rounder for one of the top 5 or 6 players in basketball when they could have gotten Ingram and Ball and/or maybe Randle in that package with probably another first rounder or so.  Oh, they got 3 years of DD and 2 non playoffs and a first round exit.  That is horrific and many other front office decision makers would probably be fired this type of mismanagement.

Holy fuck... I would do this trade so fast it would make Jerry West's head spin. If they could get anything for DD, especially a first round pick, I would be ecstatic. In this draft I think you may be as likely to get a good player at 22 as you would at 12, and on a much cheaper deal. This draft is deep. Both Kuzma and Harrell fill big needs on the front line in the short term but also... Kuzma is only 25 and has a very reasonable contract that they could flip for more picks. Harrell only has one more year but he's on a reasonable deal as well. That's a really valuable asset when the trade deadline comes around. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This is pretty shitty article, but hey its Spurs related.  Finger simply forgets the Suns have drafted in the top 10, 4 out of the last 5 year including in the top 5 3 years and actually having the first pick in the draft, but hey, it's just like the Spurs situation.  *eyeroll.  It's nothing like that and even doesn't understand who their best fucking player is, so it's insightful as always, but have at it....... Mike.  Booker is a good player and it's important the Spurs start getting good players who can be top 3 guys on a contender.  Not sure we have one of those guys.  Maybe Murray?  Who knows with the last 2 drafts.

21 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is pretty shitty article, but hey its Spurs related.  Finger simply forgets the Suns have drafted in the top 10, 4 out of the last 5 year including in the top 5 3 years and actually having the first pick in the draft, but hey, it's just like the Spurs situation.  *eyeroll.  It's nothing like that and even doesn't understand who their best fucking player is, so it's insightful as always, but have at it....... Mike.  Booker is a good player and it's important the Spurs start getting good players who can be top 3 guys on a contender.  Not sure we have one of those guys.  Maybe Murray?  Who knows with the last 2 drafts.

The Suns were hot fucking garbage until Chris Paul showed up. Deandre Ayton did not know how to play basketball

Ha.   This experience is priceless for KJ and if he makes himself into baby Shawn Marion then I'm so in, but yea..... still need the superstar or two.  I saw something saying we are actively trying to trade White and Murray.  Selling both would surprise me.  Anyone else see anything like that?

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Ha.   This experience is priceless for KJ and if he makes himself into baby Shawn Marion then I'm so in, but yea..... still need the superstar or two.  I saw something saying we are actively trying to trade White and Murray.  Selling both would surprise me.  Anyone else see anything like that?

Just the one report, and nothing since. 

On 7/19/2021 at 5:58 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

I've seen multiple "articles" or whatever you want to call it about us trading Murray. I don't get why we would do that. We just signed him to a great contract. Maybe we saw the same thing and it's just bullshit (one of the ones I saw was some dumbass Boston homer spitballing a Smart for Murray trade).

White has had some nice moments but he doesn't strike me as irreplaceable.

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I've seen multiple "articles" or whatever you want to call it about us trading Murray. I don't get why we would do that. We just signed him to a great contract. Maybe we saw the same thing and it's just bullshit (one of the ones I saw was some dumbass Boston homer spitballing a Smart for Murray trade).

White has had some nice moments but he doesn't strike me as irreplaceable.

My way of looking at it is that neither offers any type of long term success or championship value. They’re great players, and we love them, but we’re not winning a championship with them as our best players. While the obvious choice would be to pair them with a superior player, the reality is such that no player is going to come here willingly. So if we can trade them to move up in the world, they’re expendable. It would suck, but White is a walking injury and Murray is a great role player at best. 

4 hours ago, Kermit said:

My way of looking at it is that neither offers any type of long term success or championship value. They’re great players, and we love them, but we’re not winning a championship with them as our best players. While the obvious choice would be to pair them with a superior player, the reality is such that no player is going to come here willingly. So if we can trade them to move up in the world, they’re expendable. It would suck, but White is a walking injury and Murray is a great role player at best. 

Yeah but we're only playing Murray $16M a year. We don't need him to be our best player. 

The thread on Reddit says the Spurs are the one that turned down the trade offer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/otdnnf/oconnor_spurs_turned_down_a_sixers_offer_that/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Either way glad that “deal” fell through.  
I’d offer 3 firsts, no swaps, and a player. 

Part of the problem with the Demar S&T is timing. Draft is tonight, and you can assume that they would want a prospect from this year's crop. And free agency doesn't start until 8/2. 

Getting anything of value in return for him would be fantastic. Losing him for nothing would at least put us deep into the lottery. Re-signing him would be a fucking disaster.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Part of the problem with the Demar S&T is timing. Draft is tonight, and you can assume that they would want a prospect from this year's crop. And free agency doesn't start until 8/2. 

Getting anything of value in return for him would be fantastic. Losing him for nothing would at least put us deep into the lottery. Re-signing him would be a fucking disaster.

Which is why the last scenario is the most likely. I get the feeling that mediocrity is now the continuing status quo for the organization. They’re content.