San Antonio Spurs 2021 Offseason Thread -- Wandering the Desert

Patrick Bateman

7 minutes ago, Radical Larry said:

Championship!

Smh.  Wasn't the asshole talking for PATFO talking about players who can do multiple things?  This guy can literally only shoot.  Now, he can definitely shoot, but he can't do anything else.  He's a lousy rebounder, can't create, and doesn't play any defense.  Who cares if he has size if he can't do anything with it.  At 30, he's tapped out in potential too.  He probably was about 15m too much on the deal.  The Spurs front office is eroding the reputation they once had.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

That's not a bad price to see if he can develop.

Wait, is he even going to be healthy for this upcoming season? 

I feel like the tank is on. Which is okay. It’s going to be okay. It’s finally here. 

Edited by Kermit

17 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Wait, is he even going to be healthy for this upcoming season? 

I feel like the tank is on. Which is okay. It’s going to be okay. It’s finally here. 

Exactly, it's sort of  a win-win.  The kid has some skills as a stretch 4 and can do some things, but he's been hurt.  If he stays hurt, then it helps us tank and his contract which is short (gonna bet 3rd year isn't fully guaranteed), can be included in other deals as filler.  The upside is he get healthy and continues to develop into a nice stretch 4 and therefore you got a top 10 pick at a discount.  These are the types of contracts the Spurs need to be looking at.  Betting on youth, looking for undervalued players (usually through injury or maturity), and making them small misses if it doesn't work out. 

I assume we're probably seeing if Collins and ATL work out their differences.  If they don't, we make a bid for him.  If they do, then we make the Markkanen deal and have the all white guy front court shooting team who can't play defense.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

What kind of contract would y’all think is a good for the Spurs but respectful contract to keep dermarr?  3 years for $60m?

The kind where he immediately gets traded to a contender for draft picks and young prospects. Other than that, he just delays the rebuild. 

• Hook 'Em 1

McDermott is a decent 3 point shooter, but that contract is excessive the Spurs overpaid for a shooter off the bench. Didn't Collins have 3 ankle surgeries the past year? Not liking these moves. The Spurs used to be known as geniuses for drafting productive players and bringing in the right mix of role players to support Timmy, Manu and Tony.....but damn those days are long gone. They've done about everything wrong they could possibly do in recent years including using their highest lotto pick in decades on a god damn 18 year old shooting guard. About the only thing they did right was draft a steal in Keldon Johnson.

22 minutes ago, Chad said:

McDermott is a decent 3 point shooter, but that contract is excessive the Spurs overpaid for a shooter off the bench. Didn't Collins have 3 ankle surgeries the past year? Not liking these moves. The Spurs used to be known as geniuses for drafting productive players and bringing in the right mix of role players to support Timmy, Manu and Tony.....but damn those days are long gone. They've done about everything wrong they could possibly do in recent years including using their highest lotto pick in decades on a god damn 18 year old shooting guard. About the only thing they did right was draft a steal in Keldon Johnson.

Longterm I'm not worried. The culture is there. I believe in our ownership, too. It's Pop that needs to go. I'm fine if he takes on a smaller roll but he's in over his head at this point with no plan and hanging onto the past. 

2 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Rudy’s signing with the Jazz

Good for him.  I wish him well.  He seems like a good guy and he still has a little juice left as a bench 15-18 minute player.  It's not his fault he was overpaid and overplayed here.  That's on the front office and Pop and staff.  It's not his fault he was asked to do things he couldn't because we had a lack of talent, that's on the front office and Pop and staff.  I liked what I saw of Rudy as a guy, so no hard feelings and thanks for the time.

10 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Not new, but picking up steam I guess.

Or just catching up?  I can't tell if this thing has momentum or not.  There's a Minnesota S&T rumor out there for Markannen.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Good for Patty.  He'll fill a nice bench role for a contending team.  Patty's a fantastic human being and I will always root for him.  Thanks for everything, Patty!

Obvio. He'll always be a Spur. Glad he's getting a shot at another playoff run or two before retiring a Spur. 

21 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Former Gonzaga standout Zach Collins, on the mend from his third ankle surgery in 10 months, has a new NBA home and a healthy new contract.

Collins has agreed to a three-year, $22-million contract to join the San Antonio Spurs, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Collins spent the first four years of his pro career with the Portland Trail Blazers, who dealt the 15th and 20th picks to move up to take Collins at No. 10 in the 2017 draft.

The 23-year-old got off to a solid start as a key reserve in his first two seasons, but he’s been limited to 11 games over the last two seasons. He played in 11 games, all starts, in 2019-20 after suffering a dislocated shoulder early and an ankle injury in the NBA bubble that required surgery.

Collins was sidelined last season after a December surgery on his ankle. He had another ankle operation in late June.

Collins has averaged 5.7 points and 4.0 rebounds in 17.5 minutes in 154 career games. He became a free agent after Portland declined to offer a $7 million qualifying offer after last season.

He was a key player in Gonzaga’s march to the 2017 national championship game, averaging 10 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.8 blocks as a freshman.

36 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Hmmmm.... That's a pretty shitty return. 

Whatever, par for the course for this front office who apparently don't understand how to trade.  Let's get this tank going.

Yeah, not the greatest deal, but glad Spurs letting DeMar DeRozan go... 

Edited by LTtxfan

7 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

I guess I don't follow the background enough - isn't a sign and trade like free money?  He was a free agent who could have signed with anyone and we got no compensation at all?

Yes and no.  For guys signing 25+ million dollar deals, because of the way the cap works, those deals are rarely not S&T deals.

And that first rounder?  2025 baby.  The Spurs are bad at this.

35 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes and no.  For guys signing 25+ million dollar deals, because of the way the cap works, those deals are rarely not S&T deals.And that first rounder?  2025 baby.  The Spurs are bad at this.

Here's hoping that the Bulls really suck enough for that 2025 1st Rd pick to be a lottery pick...

Another way to look at it...... I'm going to guess the Spurs didn't take Markannen and took the picks and the expiring contracts to better keep their powder dry for next offseason, which should be a stronger UFA class.  This year's really did sort of suck, so in that case, as long as they embrace the tank, get their young guys experience and continue to amass assets, then sure..... but JFC they really need to get better at it.  Their current front office looks pretty inept at this point.

Add in the biggest reach of the first round in the draft and that's a shitty offseason..... I'll give them this, they didn't make any giant mistakes in free agency, just no giant wins either.

It seemed like John Collins was the only real target that was "gettable" for SA, or at least discussed. But it seems most likely that he said he ain't doing it. So who else would have the big wins been? Judging by the two expiring contracts, it absolutely is a chess move for cap space next year, and we get a 1st rounder out of it (good luck on DeMar carrying them to the playoffs in 2024-25. Could be a decent pick. We all know how desirable SA is to big-time free agents....... so I'm not ready to trash PATFO just yet. 

Now should they have gotten more from DeMar a while back? Maybe..... 

Edit: but damn, I did want Kai Jones. We need size.

Edited by BurdineBandit

I'm relieved the DeRozan era is over. I never blamed him for the failures of the Spurs in recent years, he never wanted to play for the Spurs to begin with. I blamed the morons that pulled the trigger on the trade acquiring a player who was a terrible fit.