San Antonio Spurs 2021 Offseason Thread -- Wandering the Desert

Patrick Bateman

On 8/16/2021 at 11:51 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

He's going to be taking shots for the Austin Toros most of the time, not the big squad...... he's a huge project.  Austin will have a bomb squad though.

Sir, that’s Mr. Primo to you. I believe he’ll have a hard time playing in the G League when he’ll be winning an MVP in the big league.

12 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Primo is gonna be your new Patty.  Bomb squad with no D.  Kerm's boy!  Let's all chip in and get Kerm a Primo jersey!  

JPGettyImages-1309650229-1024x683.jpg

Chip in? Pat, you’re too late. Also, this dude fucks. Patty barely can fit the tip in.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Thought he started tonight?  I'm not watching, just read some stuff online.  How's he looking?

Well, he looks timid. That’s because he knows that if he makes a mistake, Pop will pull him. But then it looks like he’s not playing hard, so he gets pulled anyway.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:39 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Thought he started tonight?  I'm not watching, just read some stuff online.  How's he looking?

On 10/8/2021 at 8:49 PM, Kermit said:

Well, he looks timid. That’s because he knows that if he makes a mistake, Pop will pull him. But then it looks like he’s not playing hard, so he gets pulled anyway.

Go to the 9:05 mark and watch what this bum does. First, he just flat out quits on a breakaway and then he makes zero effort on the rotation. I know that it's just a shitty pre-season game but it's still a tightly contested game. Can you imagine Manu giving up like this in anything? I bet he wouldn't even let that shit fly in practice. I have been in wait and see mode on Luka for awhile and he definitely showed some potential defensively last season.... but this is just some straight up bullshit. 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Go to the 9:05 mark and watch what this bum does. First, he just flat out quits on a breakaway and then he makes zero effort on the rotation. I know that it's just a shitty pre-season game but it's still a tightly contested game. Can you imagine Manu giving up like this in anything? I bet he wouldn't even let that shit fly in practice. I have been in wait and see mode on Luka for awhile and he definitely showed some potential defensively last season.... but this is just some straight up bullshit. 

Dude, I saw that shit. Surprised he’s still with the team at this point. All the talent in the world, but you can’t hustle? 

4 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

On to the next. If we keep getting DJM or Derrick Whites or Keldon Johnsons, I won't argue with a miss at 19 like Luka. It is what it is. This ain't 2000 anymore, everybody is scouting world-wide, aren't too many hidden gems left in Euroleague.

Eh.  Keldon has a chance to be a nice player.  We love DJM, but because of injury and his inability to shoot, he's not anything special.  Slightly above-average and he'll need to take the next step now.  White is a nice get but again injuries have really taken their toll and he's older for a prospect (already 27).  But look at the first rounders for the Spurs since our last contender. 

Slo-mo -- Nice role player.  Nothing special but has carved out a nice career.  Good bench guy.

Milutinov -- Trapped in Europe and reportedly hasn't gotten much better.  Traded as part of a deal to get a future 2nd rounder.  Total failure.

DJM -- Discussed above.  A big knee injury has interrupted his progression.  Big year for him but we already committed a 2nd contract to him.

White -- Discussed above.  Shown big flashes but injured and older.  May never be more than a good player off the bench for a contender.

Walker -- High hopes as his ceiling is immense but has only shown intermittent flashes and right now is a pretty poor and inefficient player.  Big year for his development.

Samanic -- Wasted pick.  Total bust for the Spurs.

Johnson -- Thus far, the best pick we've had in 7 years.  He's pretty much played over his expected production and could be a really nice player.

Vassell -- TBD.  I like him as a good 3 and D dude.

Primo -- TBD.  Very young.

We've picked at 11, 12, 18, 19 and then back half of the 20's/30.

We've hit on no player in the 2nd round.  FWIW, our first in 2013, LJ-C (28th pick), looks like a total bust too.

Maybe we need to stop giving the front office props for picks 20 years ago other than Kawhi.  Other than him and after Parker, the best guys we've drafted our Tiago (role player) and George Hill.  Now, we were contenders for most of this time so it's expected that some wash out, but man, we're not great in the draft room.  We're just not and haven't been since the late 90's/early 00's.  Kawhi will wash away a lot of failures and to get a top 10 player at 15 should be lauded and has been.  But that was a decade ago and he's on his 3rd team in the NBA.  It's why myself and others have really encouraged a total rebuild job rather than going for the 8 seed the last 3-4 years.  We haven't done much with our good players we got in UFA/FA (LMA, DD, etc) in turning them around for future value and we haven't proved to be good in the draft.  Need to get top 10 picks...... like most teams.  Regardless, you shouldn't be arguing, but you should be concerned.  We're not better than the average team at drafting.  Always the Sacramento and Orlando's of the world who are really bad at it.

• Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Eh.  Keldon has a chance to be a nice player.  We love DJM, but because of injury and his inability to shoot, he's not anything special.  Slightly above-average and he'll need to take the next step now.  White is a nice get but again injuries have really taken their toll and he's older for a prospect (already 27).  But look at the first rounders for the Spurs since our last contender. 

Slo-mo -- Nice role player.  Nothing special but has carved out a nice career.  Good bench guy.

Milutinov -- Trapped in Europe and reportedly hasn't gotten much better.  Traded as part of a deal to get a future 2nd rounder.  Total failure.

DJM -- Discussed above.  A big knee injury has interrupted his progression.  Big year for him but we already committed a 2nd contract to him.

White -- Discussed above.  Shown big flashes but injured and older.  May never be more than a good player off the bench for a contender.

Walker -- High hopes as his ceiling is immense but has only shown intermittent flashes and right now is a pretty poor and inefficient player.  Big year for his development.

Samanic -- Wasted pick.  Total bust for the Spurs.

Johnson -- Thus far, the best pick we've had in 7 years.  He's pretty much played over his expected production and could be a really nice player.

Vassell -- TBD.  I like him as a good 3 and D dude.

Primo -- TBD.  Very young.

We've picked at 11, 12, 18, 19 and then back half of the 20's/30.

We've hit on no player in the 2nd round.  FWIW, our first in 2013, LJ-C (28th pick), looks like a total bust too.

Maybe we need to stop giving the front office props for picks 20 years ago other than Kawhi.  Other than him and after Parker, the best guys we've drafted our Tiago (role player) and George Hill.  Now, we were contenders for most of this time so it's expected that some wash out, but man, we're not great in the draft room.  We're just not and haven't been since the late 90's/early 00's.  Kawhi will wash away a lot of failures and to get a top 10 player at 15 should be lauded and has been.  But that was a decade ago and he's on his 3rd team in the NBA.  It's why myself and others have really encouraged a total rebuild job rather than going for the 8 seed the last 3-4 years.  We haven't done much with our good players we got in UFA/FA (LMA, DD, etc) in turning them around for future value and we haven't proved to be good in the draft.  Need to get top 10 picks...... like most teams.  Regardless, you shouldn't be arguing, but you should be concerned.  We're not better than the average team at drafting.  Always the Sacramento and Orlando's of the world who are really bad at it.

All of this.... but it's a probably even a little more damning since they traded Kawhi and aren't picking at the absolute bottom of the first round any more. They've been trying to outsmart the rest of the league for every pick. You don't have to be Red Auerbach to draft Tim Duncan number 1. Kawhi fell into their lap and they've been sniffing their own farts ever since.

2019 - Everybody wanted Brandon Clarke instead of Samanic and lo and behold, look who's an actual solid NBA player and look who just got cut. I would have been happy with Thybulle -- he was another guy that I liked but no dice. Both of those guys went with the next two picks. Props to them for getting Keldon Johnson in that draft, 10 picks later than that scrub Samanic. He's the only thing that saves the Kawhi trade from being arguably the worst in modern NBA history to definitely the worst in modern NBA history.

2020 - I like Vassell but I almost shit my pants when they passed on Tyrese Halliburton, It made no sense on draft night and it still makes no sense.

2021 - I'm actually digging Primo so far and I get that he's the youngest player in the league but Sengun was the obvious choice and they could have gotten Primo 10 picks later, allegedly. 

I don't have a problem with the Samanic pick in a vacuum. The average 19th pick maybe stays in the league 6 years. Plenty of them bust. 

The issue is what PB laid out that surrounding him are a bunch of other poor draft picks (although I'm higher on DJM than he is). 

Here are the two picks before and after #19 going back a few years:

2020: Aleksej Pokusevski, Josh Green, Saddiq Bey, Precious Achiuwa, Tyrese Maxey

2019: Nickeil Alexander Walker, Goga Bitadze, Luka, Matisse Thybulle, Brandon Clarke

2018: Donte Divencenzo, LW4, Kevin Huerter, Josh Okogie, Grayson Allen

2017: DJ Wilson, TJ Leaf, John Collins, Harry Giles, Terrance Ferguson

Granted it's early - but out of those 20 guys - unless I'm missing something - I see one star (Collins) two legit starters (Divencenzo, Huerter) - one guy who will be a good sixth man or maybe start (Clarke) - and a few decent role players.

Most of them are busts, stashes, projects or bench warmers.

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Name a player drafted after Luka that is logging minutes for the team that drafted him. I'll give you a hint, he's a Spur

Matisse Thybulle and Brandon Clarke are logging significant minutes. But this team doesn't need a player like Brandon Clarke. He played 24 minutes a night for the Grizzlies and yes, he got traded. Grant Williams plays 18 minutes a night for the team that drafted him. Darius Bazley plays 30 minutes a night for the team that drafted him. Anyone of these players would have been nice to have. Ty Jerome got traded, still plays significant minutes. Jordan Poole seems decent. Will play significant minutes. Kevin Porter Jr. Could've had him and Keldon, but no. 

I'm sorry man, what was your point? That we could've drafted literally anyone else not named Nasir Little after Luka and they would have contributed? 

Ben Simmons to the Spurs before the trade deadline, lots of chatter going on. Can anyone make sense of this? What the fuck is acquiring the point guard version of DeMar DeRozan going to do for the Spurs? Why surrender future assets and good players (White/DJM) for a guy that can't shoot and has been unable to get it done in Philly? The Spurs lack talent in the front court that is where they need help.

Gonna assume this was expected because now other teams can sign him for peanuts or to a non-guaranteed deal or even G-league two way deal.  If he doesn't get picked up in the next week or so, then I'm going to guess you'll see him back in Europe.  He's a skilled guy, just needs to grow up.  Terrible pick.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

4 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Roster set.... This wasn't a surprise.  I'm going to guess the Spurs did everything they could to try and trade this contract but couldn't find any takers.

Primo on the roster is fucking awesome. Hopefully that means he’s here to stay. It is also a probable sign that Lonnie is getting traded.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Kermit said:

Primo on the roster is fucking awesome. Hopefully that means he’s here to stay. It is also a probable sign that Lonnie is getting traded.

Not really following you on this one.... wouldn't Primo be on the roster even if he were up and back from Austin all season? I don't think they make a distinction anymore.

And I don't think Primo has any bearing on Lonnie getting traded. This is a contract year for Lonnie and the decks are (more) clear for him to get minutes. If we are ever going to see anything out of him, I think it's going to be now. Put up or shut up time for him. 

Also.... we need a thread title. Some suggestions:

San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Race to the bottom

San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - No Country for Old Man

San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Tanks for nothing

San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Pull my finger

San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Tim Duncan is not walking through that door

San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Purgatory

• Haha 1