West Virginia @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

26 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Hitting improvement has been impressive. Here are the final OPS numbers for the starting 9:

Excellent:
Melendez - 1.120 (26 extra-base hits)
Cam - 1.015 (28 out of 49 hits were for extra bases, and a lot of scorched outs)
Zubia - .964 (say what you will about watching hittable pitches, but he was on base 43% of the time and slugged over .500)
Antico - .922 (who would've believed that 6 weeks ago?)
Daly - .889 (true freshman)

Pretty damn good:
Hodo - .789 (could walk a bit more; 11 extra-base hits)
Faltine - .789 (while playing outstanding defense, and 19 out of 41 hits were doubles or bombs)

Not bad for a catcher:
Ardoin - .753 (lots of walks, but only 8 extra-base hits all year, but it seems that he had some bad luck early)
Petrinsky - .717 

Needs improvement, but on  the right track
Kennedy - .677 (put some good aluminum on some bad WV pitches)

Zubia is probably a good example of good work by Pierce.  Overall, he's probably not all that talented, like a lot of members of his class, but he had some potential.  He worked his ass off to lose weight, worked on his swing, and developed into a quite serviceable first baseman so he wouldn't be relegated to a sometime DH role.  That's on him, for sure, and good for him.  But Pierce had to have some role in that.

The number of first-year contributors on your list is hugely gratifying.

• Hook 'Em 5

16 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Well, let's say Tulo is the main reason for this.  Glass is half full thinking would have it that even with his departure the blueprint for the success he brought will remain and be utilized.

That felt weird to say, because I'm neither a glass half full or glass half empty guy.  

I'm more like, "Who the fuck drank my water?" guy.

And yeah, Pierce deserves credit for bringing Tulo in, and Huston Streer, however briefly.  Pierce doesn't have the star power to bring these people in, like Augie might have; maybe the name on the jersey still does.  But you gotta think he's running a solid program for these people to even get involved.  They're not going to get in with a clown show, even if it is Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I was there in the stands and really never thought about looking for the TCU game via the ESPN app, but there was a guy in front of me that was peeking at periodically. K St was down 8-4 and then quickly down only 1 ...still watching our game, and then hearing about the other with the potential to be tied up, made ours even more important.  Then he announced that K St had hit a walkoff! It was funny cuz there were parts of the stands starting this low cheer and then it got louder and more elevated throughout the crowd, you could see our players looking into the stands and the WVU dugout doing this WTF? look......

Thanks to my Dad putting into my blood,  I've been to a lot of great games and been a small part of great moments @ the Disch since it's inception. Due to the weather, it wasn't an overwhelming crowd, but the roar and cheering was. It was awesome being there and being a part of it.

Congrats guys!! Big 12 Champs!  Keep it up to OMAHA!

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 8

Tulo has brought some serious swagger to this team. The team doesn’t really have one of the Clemons’ bros or a Parker French to bring that certain energy they all brought. Tulo has gotten thrown out once already and has been pretty close 2 or 3 other times as well. He’s got that cool cocky baseball player attitude and not the douchebag type. 

If Tulo does leave I think that’s what we will miss the most from an outsiders perspective since we don’t know exactly what he’s done from a fundamental baseball pov. Our hitting has improved so attributing some of that to Tulo might not be a big stretch. Tulo has done an excellent job with Faltine and others but we can’t forgot about our boy Hamilton. That’s was Pierce and had he not tore his achilles, Hamilton would have definitely been drafted earlier than the 8th round. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Tulo has brought some serious swagger to this team. The team doesn’t really have one of the Clemons’ bros or a Parker French to bring that certain energy they all brought. Tulo has gotten thrown out once already and has been pretty close 2 or 3 other times as well. He’s got that cool cocky baseball player attitude and not the douchebag type. 

They were showing some of this early last season before play was stopped. I've read where Tulo does quite a bit of film study and relays that to the players. Hitting/fielding? Being a former pro, you know he has had some influence there too. 

While most know he wants to get into coaching and will leave with the opportunity (not faulting that), I think he brings a work ethic and mentality that sometimes I feel has been lacking with past clubs. While he had the tools and size coming out of high school & Long Beach State (Dirtbags), that program has a reputation (rightly so if you have ever seen them play) of being gritty, do whatever it takes attitude of playing baseball. Yep, he was a first rounder due to his skills, but baseball is also very mental and having that kind of toughness will carry an individual and team through the adversities that will rise up in every season. 

I believe he has a been a driving force of this team's work ethic that we have all read, heard, or seen this season.

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

If Tulo does leave I think that’s what we will miss the most from an outsiders perspective since we don’t know exactly what he’s done from a fundamental baseball pov. Our hitting has improved so attributing some of that to Tulo might not be a big stretch. Tulo has done an excellent job with Faltine and others but we can’t forgot about our boy Hamilton. That’s was Pierce and had he not tore his achilles, Hamilton would have definitely been drafted earlier than the 8th round. 

10 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

They were showing some of this early last season before play was stopped. I've read where Tulo does quite a bit of film study and relays that to the players. Hitting/fielding? Being a former pro, you know he has had some influence there too. 

While most know he wants to get into coaching and will leave with the opportunity (not faulting that), I think he brings a work ethic and mentality that sometimes I feel has been lacking with past clubs. While he had the tools and size coming out of high school & Long Beach State (Dirtbags), that program has a reputation (rightly so if you have ever seen them play) of being gritty, do whatever it takes attitude of playing baseball. Yep, he was a first rounder due to his skills, but baseball is also very mental and having that kind of toughness will carry an individual and team through the adversities that will rise up in every season. 

I believe he has a been a driving force of this team's work ethic that we have all read, heard, or seen this season.

Credit Huston Street for recommending his close friend Tulo to Pierce or Tulo might have been home in Cali with a team.   Tulo brought credibility.

Some of the credit has to go to Texas volunteer coach Troy Tulowitzki, who has helped groom Faltine as well as the rest of the infield. Pierce joked that Faltine has almost shadowed the five-time All-Star shortstop and two-time Gold Glover all over the field.

“I give (Tulo) a lot of credit for the work he's putting in, not just with me, but the whole team,” said Faltine, who’s made just six errors this season. “It shows because Cam Williams and Zach are making great plays every night. He expects a lot out of us, and he always says defense doesn’t go in a slump. He holds us to a high standard.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/2021/05/22/bohls-shortstop-trey-faltine-paces-outstanding-longhorn-defense/5218817001/

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I hadn’t read that about Tulo with the film study but that’s awesome to hear. It shows that he really feels obligated to do everything possible for the kids to succeed. Sometimes you can get a guy with a ton of cred that relies on his title and “tells” the kids what to do rather than “teach” them. The Long Beach connection with the work ethic makes sense—they’re always a salty ball club. 

20 minutes ago, torre said:

Credit Huston Street for recommending his close friend Tulo to Pierce or Tulo might have been home in Cali with a team.   Tulo brought credibility.

Some of the credit has to go to Texas volunteer coach Troy Tulowitzki, who has helped groom Faltine as well as the rest of the infield. Pierce joked that Faltine has almost shadowed the five-time All-Star shortstop and two-time Gold Glover all over the field.

“I give (Tulo) a lot of credit for the work he's putting in, not just with me, but the whole team,” said Faltine, who’s made just six errors this season. “It shows because Cam Williams and Zach are making great plays every night. He expects a lot out of us, and he always says defense doesn’t go in a slump. He holds us to a high standard.

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/2021/05/22/bohls-shortstop-trey-faltine-paces-outstanding-longhorn-defense/5218817001/

You can tell watching Faltine play defense that he’s molding his play just like Tulo’s. I’ve enjoyed every damn minute of it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I hadn’t read that about Tulo with the film study but that’s awesome to hear. It shows that he really feels obligated to do everything possible for the kids to succeed. Sometimes you can get a guy with a ton of cred that relies on his title and “tells” the kids what to do rather than “teach” them. The Long Beach connection with the work ethic makes sense—they’re always a salty ball club. 

You can tell watching Faltine play defense that he’s molding his play just like Tulo’s. I’ve enjoyed every damn minute of it.  

With the film study, I had read about it on here and some other media sites. Zeke and Zonk had also mentioned it once or more with their broadcasts earlier this season. Of course he watches our guys ( and like you stated "teaches"), but he also does video/film study of our OPPONENTS and relayed that to the players throughout the season. 

Couldn't agree more with you about the difference between telling and teaching someone. Super cool and great when a player (or anyone) is able to relay their experience and knowledge to help better others.

Edited by BillyGoatHill

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well done. Hopefully he keeps this going.

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Lol, what a random bump.  But yes.

No it’s fine, Biff. I was born for this. Is this it, south Florida? A few crusty bitches and a handful of rag tags?Daniel Day Lewis Fight GIF by MIRAMAX 

Fun cute story, but time to stick the knife in em. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1