Hip-hop / Rap that you're listening to

ztejas

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first ~9 songs off this 21 album (including the intro) are so fucking good.

Whether or not you like 21 or not or are old school vs. new school this song in particular is fucking phenomenal. I'd put that 2nd verse up against anyone going right now.

Edited by ztejas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, BeardIP said:

The song is just okay, but the video is awesome:

I don't love Mexican OT but I appreciate anyone that reps Texas.

New Ye and Ty Dolla is fucking fire. I think it's gonna wind up being a classic and I bet it's the last great album Ye makes. Easily his best since TLOP (2016).

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

I don't love Mexican OT but I appreciate anyone that reps Texas.

New Ye and Ty Dolla is fucking fire. I think it's gonna wind up being a classic and I bet it's the last great album Ye makes. Easily his best since TLOP (2016).

I'm a huge Mexican OT fan, so I'm biased, but he's hands down my favorite personality and rapper in Texas right now. He brought Chamillionaire out of retirement and from the VC boardroom for a hot 16 even.

I just got turned on to Joey Valence and Brae. They really nail the early to mid 90s Beastie Boys sound and vibe (including the humor) and their videos are especially fun as they even nail the very specific aesthetics of that time and tropes of those videos. Fun stuff. They have a shit ton of videos on their channel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I haven't heard College Dropout in a long time and I'm listening to it on vinyl right now for the first time.

Holy fuck this is a great album and a great pressing. They engineered the shit out of this thing.

Ahhh shit - I just realized the vinyl cuts out all the skits. I think it's better without em.

Edited by ztejas

Posted (edited)

I've had and kept eminem in my top 5 rappers ever for a long time now - but sometimes I forget how good he is.

This song is just bar after bar after bar. 

Edited by ztejas

On 3/14/2024 at 11:04 PM, ztejas said:

I've had and kept eminem in my top 5 rappers ever for a long time now - but sometimes I forget how good he is.

This song is just bar after bar after bar. 

I wore this cd out in the 2001 Honda Accord.  I let this tape rock 'til the tape popped.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/12/2024 at 8:11 PM, ztejas said:

I haven't heard College Dropout in a long time and I'm listening to it on vinyl right now for the first time.

Holy fuck this is a great album and a great pressing. They engineered the shit out of this thing.

Ahhh shit - I just realized the vinyl cuts out all the skits. I think it's better without em.

This too. College Dropout almost had me not going to college it was so good. But seriously, probably one of my favorite albums, end to end, that I can still fall in love with.

I thought I'd heard it all then one morning I listened to it again after a refresher molly, and it hit different, and all over again.

• Hook 'Em 1

The other day it was really pretty out and I dropped the top for the first time this season, and though this is my "it's officially Summer bop" I put on every year as an annual tradition, I had to put it on a little early this year. Just feeling frisky:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/18/2024 at 9:06 AM, BeardIP said:

I wore this cd out in the 2001 Honda Accord.  I let this tape rock 'til the tape popped.

On 3/18/2024 at 9:08 AM, BeardIP said:

This too. College Dropout almost had me not going to college it was so good. But seriously, probably one of my favorite albums, end to end, that I can still fall in love with.

I thought I'd heard it all then one morning I listened to it again after a refresher molly, and it hit different, and all over again.

Love this bro, I know your sweet spot that we can talk about now haha.

You fw this album?

Screenshot_20240320_212209_Spotify.thumb.jpg.69730f76e2e4035490ddd571a87fd7d0.jpg

Edited by ztejas

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Love this bro, I know your sweet spot that we can talk about now haha.

You fw this album?

Screenshot_20240320_212209_Spotify.thumb.jpg.69730f76e2e4035490ddd571a87fd7d0.jpg

Absolutely. I would listen to second stanza of "One" until I had it memorized. The purple tape will always be my first love and probably the first song I ever memorized soup to nuts was Wu Gambinos, but this album was beautiful.

Edited by BeardIP

On 3/4/2024 at 2:27 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 3/1/2024 at 10:33 PM, ztejas said:
New album.
Screenshot_20240301_223223_Spotify.thumb.jpg.0f87a251991777f72406598f70c838c9.jpg

This was a great album.

Bro, Mexican OT on Joe Rogan.

Homie has blown up since I first saw a youtube short and fell in love with his music. Been interesting watching his rise as a fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

It’s a Wu-Tang kind of day in the tokamak household. 

Do any of y’all ever stop and think how fucking absurd it is that all these guys ended up in the same group? Or is that just me? Pretty much all of these guys would have been (are) legends on their own. 

Edited by tokamak
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

Do any of y’all ever stop and think how fucking absurd it is that all these guys ended up in the same group? Or is that just me? Pretty much all of these guys would have been (are) legends on their own. 
I could never fully get into them. I respect their impact and place in rap history but they don't move the needle for me. I tried revisiting their group and solo work last year and nada.

On 3/23/2024 at 10:15 AM, tokamak said:

They're pretty ridiculous. I appreciate their catalogue but they aren't a group that I listen to regularly. One of their tracks came up the other day and I was like "holy fuck how were these guys so good"

The vocal talent combined with the production, mixing, mastering and overall vision is something you rarely see these days.

This is tangentially-hip-hop and I'm sure a lot of you don't like him, but The Weeknd  dropped a greatest-hits about a month ago and it's worth a listen or at the very least a skip-through whether you're a fan or not. He did a live album recently and following that with a greatest-hits - for me - is refreshing. No one does it by-the-book like that anymore and it tells me he takes his craft seriously. 

The way he places this one, in particular, in context is very impressive and made me reevaluate where this track stands in his track-heirachy as well as some personal all-time lists. Absolute fucking banger - yes it's very R&B but any hip-hop fan should be able to appreciate this one.