butt

futureman

Guest Lobo

That's one.  Reports say there were two suspects.  One doing the gun-holding, the other in the getaway car in case things went south.  

the HEB carjack attempt is strange to me.  That strip center is crawling with Cops 24/7.  Barton Creek Square, I can understand---that place has turned to a complete shithole lately and will only get worse before Simon finally realizes a lower-tier mall anchored by a J.C. Penney and a fledgling Dillard's is maybe not the highest and best use of that land.  Go drive around the perimeter of that mall sometime, trash, homeless camps, infected needles, dead animals, etc.  There's people living inside that Sears now.  Nice cars like the ones in this article used to be the norm, now they stick out like sore thumbs.  These two asshats are just the beginning.  

Just now, Armybrat said:

What was the op?

Story about two loser perps jacking a Porsche from HEB westlake and then a Rover from Barton Creek mall the next morning. Armed with guns. I heard they broke into a truck at the snotty Maudies in Davenport. That’s how they got the firearms. Not sure why futureman removed the story. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

Barton Creek Square, I can understand---that place has turned to a complete shithole lately and will only get worse before Simon finally realizes a lower-tier mall anchored by a J.C. Penney and a fledgling Dillard's is maybe not the highest and best use of that land.  Go drive around the perimeter of that mall sometime, trash, homeless camps, infected needles, dead animals, etc.  There's people living inside that Sears now.  Nice cars like the ones in this article used to be the norm, now they stick out like sore thumbs.  These two asshats are just the beginning.  

Weird take. 

I've been there 2 or 3 times in the last few months due to my kid loving the Pokemon store.

It's recently been remodeled, and was quite busy.  Other than the closed Sears store it appeared to be doing quite well.

It's also anchored by a Nordstrom department store, so I'm not really seeing it being considered "low-tier".

With that said, that location has tons of potential for redevelopment.  I could see another project similar to what's bring proposed for Brodie Oaks one day, only bigger.

Edited by Somnio

Guest Lobo

I know it's quite busy, I'm just saying aesthetically it's turning downward fast.  Of course it has higher-end stores, but many are leaving for more mid-level tenants.  There's growing vacancies (admittedly, much of that due to Covid-19).  I wrote "Lower-Tier" on purpose, but it was not meant to be taken as "Low-Tier", just that it's much lower than it used to be.  I stick by my charge for folks to check out the perimeter of the mall parking lot, especially the southern and western areas.  Homeless camps, trashed beyond belief, etc.  There is interesting "reboot" efforts going on in the Nordstrom wing, but several other areas in the mall are fledgling and their lease rates reflect that.  

The surrounding neighborhoods will never permit something like the Brodie Oaks project onto that land.  However, something will go up there even if it's just a boutique hotel between the Mall and the Skyline.  

I could see the height concentrated along 360 and Mopac, and stepping down as you near the residential areas.

Of course the selling points to the NIMBYs would be reduced impervious cover, and all types of other "Green" features.  Instead of acres of parking lot, you could have as some open space in exchange for some height in certain parts.

And the latest stormwater retention and filtration.

And a certain percentage of "affordable"  housing onsite.

And who knows what other "community benefits".

But it's very doable.  Who knows when, but I guarantee it will happen one day.

Anyways, sorry for the threadjack...

Guest Lobo

Barton creek square carjack/threadjack  talk not going away.  

I like this discussion though, let’s pick it up on 6th st journal