2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

Texas just received a transfer from a 6'0 setter from the University of Utah.  Saige was the starting setter for the past 2 seasons and helped Utah reach the Sweet 16 this season. 

https://instagr.am/p/CPJ0brGFCPa/

Saige is going to bring lots of experience from playing in the PAC 12 as well as provide a bigger setter block in the front row.  We won't be seeing opposing hitters hitting over her like they have been with Jhenna the past 3 years. 

Hopefully, she quickly develops a good connection with all the Texas hitters, especially with setting Brionne in front and Asjia on the slide attack. 

Unfortunately, Morgan O'Brien has left the team to focus on graduate school...but maybe she reconsiders with everyone that is returning...she really anchored and elevated the backrow.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Chicken fried bacon said:

Anyone know when the non-conference schedule will be out?

Probably in the next couple weeks. I know we play Minny, A&M, Tree, ND, Arizona and Texas State. So far, it’s rather meh 

• 2 weeks later...

I could have sworn our match against LSU on August 21st was going to be a scrimmage, but now it looks like a real match that will count? Just speculating here, but I'm assuming due to the rise in covid cases, they couldn't justify hosting a scrimmage at a neutral site in Houston, so they decided to make it a match that counts in Baton Rouge (which is currently a covid hot spot btw). 

Also, since it looks like we'll be dealing with covid again this year, it doesn't hurt to rack up real matches when you have the chance, just in case future matches get cancelled due to outbreaks.

image.png.d6c9dbe0985c7cc2cff37b0c73b20749.png

Edited by perfectchaos007

Preseason top 25 teams on our schedule:

@RV LSU (8/21)
#20 San Diego (8/27)
@#7 Minnesota (9/1)
#21 Stanford (9/5)
RV Texas State (9/7)
RV Arizona (9/10)
#25 Notre Dame (9/12)
@#23 Rice (9/22) - MASSIVE DOOM
@RV Kansas (10/9-10)
@#10 Baylor (11/5-6)
RV Kansas State (11/18-19)

Not too bad.  (Currently) 3 top 10 matches, 7 top 25 matches and 14 matches against teams in the top 40.  All three top 10 matchups are on the road, which helps big in RPI, plus @ #23 Rice. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

8 of our 10 non conference opponents are either ranked or receiving votes. That’s actually a solid schedule 

Yeah, it's actually a solid non-conference schedule if they all stay ranked or RV.  Tree and Arizona finishing in the top half of the Pac 12 would be helpful, as would Minny finishing top 3 in the B1G and ND finishing in the top third of the ACC.   Rice and SD should also win their conferences. 

On 8/19/2021 at 8:33 PM, perfectchaos007 said:

Well now our match against LSU on Saturday is back to being an exhibition. Dang.

3-1

No. 1 Texas Volleyball wrapped up their 2021 preseason camp with a 3-1 (25-21, 20-25, 25-21, 25-17) win over LSU at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center on Saturday.

The Longhorns used a variety of players and lineups in the preseason exhibition match against the Tigers. Logan Eggleston and Skylar Fieldsboth finished with 11 kills to lead the Longhorns. Brionne Butler also added 10 kills and four blocks, while Asjia O'Neal and Molly Phillips each contributed six kills.

Melanie Parra finished with 12 digs and five service aces to lead Texas in both categories. Eggleston added nine digs and three aces, while Nalani Iosia had eight digs.

Jhenna Gabriel dished out 33 assists and added seven digs, while Naomi Cabello had 10 assists.

• Hook 'Em 2

Anybody else get the errant email this morning from Athletics selling Texas Volleyball National Championship merch from 2020? I was extremely confused and did not think there was anyway my memory has gotten so bad that I forgot that we won a national championship last year. 

I clicked the link, and obviously there was no actual merch on the website, but the pictures are there on the email. Pretty good prank if they were hacked somehow. Wtf.

Edited by BurdineBandit

1 hour ago, BurdineBandit said:

Anybody else get the errant email this morning from Athletics selling Texas Volleyball National Championship merch from 2020? I was extremely confused and did not think there was anyway my memory has gotten so bad that I forgot that we won a national championship last year. 

I clicked the link, and obviously there was no actual merch on the website, but the pictures are there on the email. Pretty good prank if they were hacked somehow. Wtf.

Yeah same.  It's like, did I forget something?

Subject line: 

Texas Volleyball National Championship Gear is Here!

13cd3127ebea21cefb15177ce1e0a105.jpg

Edited by LonghornSean

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This will be my annual post bitching about the black court border though. 

You’re right, I did not miss the black court…but I have played on some weird colored courts, and I’m wondering if the black makes it easier to have line awareness bc the orange can sometimes blend a little into the wood court. 

anyone watching Baylor v Minnesota?? Pretty good match for early in the season 

31 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

You’re right, I did not miss the black court…but I have played on some weird colored courts, and I’m wondering if the black makes it easier to have line awareness bc the orange can sometimes blend a little into the wood court. 

anyone watching Baylor v Minnesota?? Pretty good match for early in the season 

#10 Baylor 3-1 over #7 Minny