2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

Just now, Hornsbay22 said:

Best Texas performance this year.  Best Texas serving team I've ever seen. Utah setter is better than Gabriel. 

She might be full time setting by the season’s end. In which case I think Jhenna leaves instead of taking her COVID year. She’s said she didn’t come to Texas to play defense, she came to set. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I am getting Amy Neal vibes from Parra. Parra is a little taller, but both bring a lot of power and energy for their sub 6' frame

I dunno if Parra will ever get her chance to start all the way around with who is in front of her. We need to utilize her with back row attacks when she’s back there bombing aces though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Parra eating these guys for lunch!1e538d70428f5866bb7b304406ae7f90.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm in this picture...…..when you said you would be with a group of about 15-20 teenage volleyball girls, i thought it would be easy to spot you.  But their were several groups like that so I missed you.    

I don't think you can get the proper perspective for Parra's serve on TV.  That thing is wicked!

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WJC88 said:

I'm in this picture...…..when you said you would be with a group of about 15-20 teenage volleyball girls, i thought it would be easy to spot you.  But their were several groups like that so I missed you.    

I don't think you can get the proper perspective for Parra's serve on TV.  That thing is wicked!

Yeah, her serve just gets on them so quickly and with so much movement. My kids was talking 100 miles an hour on the way home about her serves, all the blocks, angles that the girls were hitting(especially Eggleston), and how they passed off of touched balls.

We had our entire 8th grade A and B teams and parents, so 59 people. Their school got out at 3:50 so by the time we got there all the close seating was taken. Rice wouldn't work with us for that big a group. Sad. Girls had fun though, and it was remarkable seeing how many other schools brought their entire teams. I guess everyone wanted to see the best play. lol. However, a lot of our group are Aggy, so a lot of the parents were upset that we chose that game to go to. It's funny to see how Aggy passes on their obsession with us to the younger generation. I watched as some of the kids were trying to teach other kids in our group how to do horns down.......at a game where we are playing Rice. Cute. These girls were 3 yrs old when we were in the same conference. Aggy mentality and racism have a lot of parallels.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, her serve just gets on them so quickly and with so much movement. My kids was talking 100 miles an hour on the way home about her serves, all the blocks, angles that the girls were hitting(especially Eggleston), and how they passed off of touched balls.

We had our entire 8th grade A and B teams and parents, so 59 people. Their school got out at 3:50 so by the time we got there all the close seating was taken. Rice wouldn't work with us for that big a group. Sad. Girls had fun though, and it was remarkable seeing how many other schools brought their entire teams. I guess everyone wanted to see the best play. lol. However, a lot of our group are Aggy, so a lot of the parents were upset that we chose that game to go to. It's funny to see how Aggy passes on their obsession with us to the younger generation. I watched as some of the kids were trying to teach other kids in our group how to do horns down.......at a game where we are playing Rice. Cute. These girls were 3 yrs old when we were in the same conference. Aggy mentality and racism have a lot of parallels.

It's all tribalism. It's like whack a mole. You eliminate one tribal distinction another one is going to crop up. It doesn't mean we shouldn't try to eliminate them. But you have to pick and choose, because we're going to figure out ways to distinguish ourselves from others one way or another. It's tough to bring up on the volleyball board, because it's such a serious and weighty topic, but it's easy to go down a rabbit hole because we all have such different perspectives, and it is such an important topic. I am glad you voiced it. Just wish there was a way to have a significant conversation without completely hijacking everything.

Love the story. That sounds like a very fulfilling time. What a great memory for everyone to share. I'm getting ahead of myself, but how awesome would it be for Texas to take home the title and your daughters can say they saw them play in person that year?

• Hook 'Em 2

That felt like the first match all year we didn't play down to the competition.  That we dropped a set to Arizona, ND, A&M - we always tend to fall asleep in a set against an inferior opponent, pass like shit, let the other team go on a long run and sneak out a set.

We didn't let Rice go on any long runs, at all.  They never hit 15 points in a single set. Our serves just decimated their passing. 

We have won 27/31 sets this year through 9 games.  That's insane, and it includes matches against USD, Stanford, @ Minny, @ A&M and @ Rice. 

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That felt like the first match all year we didn't play down to the competition.  That we dropped a set to Arizona, ND, A&M - we always tend to fall asleep in a set against an inferior opponent, pass like shit, let the other team go on a long run and sneak out a set.

We didn't let Rice go on any long runs, at all.  They never hit 15 points in a single set. Our serves just decimated their passing. 

We have won 27/31 sets this year through 9 games.  That's insane, and it includes matches against USD, Stanford, @ Minny, @ A&M and @ Rice. 

What's funny about this team is how predictable their setting can be and it. just. doesnt. matter! Teams know where the sets are going and we power over and through them. Around the second set Rice switched to small ball and Texas took a second to adjust. I thought that might be the let down set coming but then they came roaring back and crushed them.

1 minute ago, SATXHorn said:

Washington St (home) beat #6 Washington in five sets. Washington held off match points in set 4 and won that set, 46-44. Wow! Wash St was pretty resilient to come back from losing that long 4th set to win the match.

But you can only play to 15 in set 5 because reasons. 

5 minutes ago, SATXHorn said:

Washington St (home) beat #6 Washington in five sets. Washington held off match points in set 4 and won that set, 46-44. Wow! Wash St was pretty resilient to come back from losing that long 4th set to win the match.

Santa Clara had a 46-44 set win a few years ago.  Think WSU tied the NCAA record for points in a match. 

And Texas opens Big 12 play this week in Austin against 12-1 (2-0) West Virginia in back to back matches, Thursday and Friday.  Both matches on LHN. 

They have a 3-0 win over Michigan and an 0-3 loss to Penn State.  They did win 3-1, 3-1 over OU over the weekend, but OU is terrible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SATXHorn said:

Slightly off-topic and probably discussed elsewhere: no band tonight or tomorrow night due to COVID protocols. (No band in Ft Worth on Sat either)

Luckily, the Greg is intimidating enough without it