Can we have a “Recommended Nice Restaurants” Thread?

Etexhorn13

We have a ton of awesome restaurants in Houston. Starting this thread not to talk about the places you’ll go to on a lazy Friday/Saturday for TexMex or whatever. I want to hear about some of the places y’all like to go and really enjoy the food/service/wine, date nights, whatever. Some examples:

Hugo’s: probably my favorite restaurant in this city. Just always have a really fun time there and love the food. Honestly any of that group’s restaurants could be listed here. 

Helen’s in Rice Village: Love Greek food and wine, very cool spot (especially once covid shit is over/pre-covid)

Field & Tides: reminds me of my family’s restaurant that I grew up in. Neat spot, and I’ve loved every meal I’ve ever had there. 

Just some examples. whatchall got?

Giacamo’s. Cafe Rabelais. Beer and wine only at both. Neither have an ideal fine dining ambiance, but the food is amazing at both. Great date restaurants. Just wish they would serve cocktails. BCN is my #1. I go once a week.

On 5/22/2021 at 12:21 AM, Da Fino said:

Giacamo’s. Cafe Rabelais. Beer and wine only at both. Neither have an ideal fine dining ambiance, but the food is amazing at both. Great date restaurants. Just wish they would serve cocktails. BCN is my #1. I go once a week.

We get the Bolognese from Giacamo's to go pretty often.  It is plenty for our family.  And it is divine.

• Hook 'Em 1

Co-sign on Helen. Need to go back there soon. When we went we got the whole fish - it was the last fish from the shipment from Greece. Really, really good and cool space. We ate on their makeshift patio because we weren't fully vaccinated at the time but the inside looked really nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hornbeliever said:

Our style is Nancy's Hustle and Coltivare.   We love Coltivare for convenience, the spaghetti and buratta.

That Armando's meal sounds delish.

This is the type of stuff I had in mind when I started the thread, we love both of those places. 

• 3 months later...
Bistro 555 in Memorial. My goodness, cheese appetizer and the beef tenderloin with green beans. Chased it with a good Bordeaux. Best meal in recent memory. Includes NYC and New Orleans. Tiny restaurant with the kitchen right in the middle. Perfect place to take a party of 4. 

That place is great. He’s from cafe rabelais. Mussels there are on point.

12 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Hugo’s is a favorite of mine. You can hit up anvil first and walk over when it’s time for your reservation. 

Pretty solid first date reco for someone that's 23 and trying to get laid. Might switch Anvil to Tongue Cut Sparrow's temporary location after dinner if you're trying to set a mood.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Tex48 said:

What's yalls take on Churrascos?  I love Churrascos but I'm not sure if it would be great for a date.  

Never been so I’m talking out of my ass a little, but there are a lot of cool restaurants to choose from that would impress a 23 year old girl. Churrascos may be on that list too but again I dunno never been. Rainbow lodge is another spot I like to hit every once in a while - kindof an exotic menu but it’s unique and I haven’t ever had a bad meal there. Nice wine list and drinks as well. No idea what your general type of go-tos would be though so YMMV

• Hook 'Em 1

Answer was in the OP, Field and Tides is a good one.  Or Fiori.  It's a flower shop too so can get her some flowers while you're there. Maybe La Lucha?   I know it didn't get the best reviews from some posters here but I have had really good experiences with Ostia.  Looks like you're looking for something more traditional but if you want casual, Boheme?  Go to used to be Emmaline but I believe it's closed now.  

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Y’all are setting the bar way too high for a first date 

Yep, go to Kau Ba.  If it goes well from there go to the patio for a glass of wine at Brasil. If it's still going well hit up Poison Girl. She is a horrible person if she doesn't like Poison Girl.

Poison Girl too crowded? Go to La Grange. Anvil will most likely be packed on a weekend and Tounge Cut Sparrow is nice, but reservations are recommended.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yep, go to Kau Ba.  If it goes well from there go to the patio for a glass of wine at Brasil. If it's still going well hit up Poison Girl. She is a horrible person if she doesn't like Poison Girl.
Poison Girl too crowded? Go to La Grange. Anvil will most likely be packed on a weekend and Tounge Cut Sparrow is nice, but reservations are recommended.

Poison girl is a great idea.

Oh, he's 23? Get some sushi in Midtown and hit up some bars. Easy enough. Or grab a bite to eat at Hollman Draft Hall or Woosters Garden. Both with decent food and an easy escape if the date isn't going well.

Edited by mycox

• 8 months later...

Went to a nine coarse tasting at March two weeks ago. Dreadful food. That group running all of those places just doesn’t get it.

Bludorn tonight was incredible. I’ve been missing their old menu. Tonight was oysters several ways, a tomato dish, texas caviar , and a Redfish on the half shell that was the best I’ve ever had. Looking forward to their new place.

On 7/30/2022 at 1:53 AM, Da Fino said:

Went to a nine coarse tasting at March two weeks ago. Dreadful food. That group running all of those places just doesn’t get it.

Bludorn tonight was incredible. I’ve been missing their old menu. Tonight was oysters several ways, a tomato dish, texas caviar , and a Redfish on the half shell that was the best I’ve ever had. Looking forward to their new place.

Haven't been to March, but Rosie Cannonball has been great every time we've been. And we go alot as we're a couple blocks away.  Also enjoy the cheese shop.

Hit up Riel a couple about a month ago...really solid.  Will be back. 

Hangar steak for me and Kimchi Carbonara for the wife. Also did the burrata app along with empanadas

Edited by Tylerocks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/21/2022 at 9:00 PM, Da Fino said:

Navy Blue is good. Not great. It’s only their third day. Drinks were great.

My wife went last night with a girlfriend and her family.

She said the food was good.  They shared a bunch of stuff.  Branzino, Linguini/clams...place was beautiful..but service was slow.  Chalked it up to being new.

Got a date tonight. Any recs for a nice Asian restaurant in the loop? Grew up in Houston but live in Austin and not super familiar with good date spots. I’m 47 and she’s 29, so looking for something fun but chill. 

From reading the thread, Mala Sichuan seems like a good choice. Be good to have other restaurants or bars nearby that we can go to after dinner. 

2 minutes ago, destroya said:

Got a date tonight. Any recs for a nice Asian restaurant in the loop? Grew up in Houston but live in Austin and not super familiar with good date spots. I’m 47 and she’s 29, so looking for something fun but chill. 

From reading the thread, Mala Sichuan seems like a good choice. Be good to have other restaurants or bars nearby that we can go to after dinner. 

I don’t think I’d go to Mala for a date night because it will destroy your asshole and I assume that is what you’re paying the 20 year old to do. 

31 minutes ago, destroya said:

Try Moon Rabbit in the Heights. It's modern-ish Vietnamese. Pretty good spot, shouldn't have a problem getting a reservation this late in the game and there are a ton of places in the Heights to have a drink afterwards. Could also try Handies Douzo for handrolls, but a reservation this late may be a challenge.

• 3 weeks later...

Another neighbor here!

giphy.gif

Wife and I finally got around to trying Uchi on Friday.  We were both afraid it wasn't going to live up to the hype.

It exceeded our expectations.  Almost everything was sensational...neither of us really cared for the wagyu tartar though

Omakase was the right call.  Got a selection of chef choices, both raw and cooked (mostly raw)

Edited by Tylerocks

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

Another neighbor here!

giphy.gif

Wife and I finally got around to trying Uchi on Friday.  We were both afraid it wasn't going to live up to the hype.

It exceeded our expectations.  Almost everything was sensational...neither of us really cared for the wagyu tartar though

Omakase was the right call.  Got a selection of chef choices, both raw and cooked (mostly raw)

If you haven't been already, put MF Sushi on your list. I like Uchi a lot, but think MF is even better. Coincidentally, wife and I had dinner at MF on Friday night. Sushi related, I had dinner at Soto a few weeks ago and was underwhelmed. Don't know how it will survive long-term with Uchi just down the road.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Agreed on Soto, priced like MF or Uchi but not as good. Kata Robata is still my favorite in terms of quality and price. 

Had a really bad experience at Kata last year and haven't been back as a result. $600 dinner and nothing was memorable and some items were flat out bad.