Peter King Leaving Sports Illustrated

Native Horn

After 29 years, Peter King is leaving SI.  I really enjoyed his Monday Morning Quarterback column each week, and SI is losing a very well-connected NFL reporter.  Yeah, he could get off on an occasional tangent, and was definitely a homer for the Patriots (and Red Sox, for that matter), but overall I enjoyed his stuff.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/03/peter-king-sports-illustrated-future-1 

For me, that guy lost his fastball a few years ago.  

Imo hes become sarah huckabee sanders for roger goodell.  

I dont know maybe ive changed and he hasnt but hes not a guy i enjoy anymore even though i enjoy some of the other mmqb writers

• Like 3

He had been appearing on NBC during the SNF games for a couple years. He will have a bigger role and also write for the NBC Sports page and Pro Football Talk with the leftist Mike Florio (who has become ultra pro-Kaepernick, pro-eliminating big hits like removing kickoffs and punts, etc). Florio had a following of millions of NFL fans who now openly mock his POV in the comments to every article. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

MMQB used to be a Monday must for me as well, but my interest in it waned greatly during the 2011 lockout. At that point, it became clear that Peter King was entirely in the bag for Goodell and the owners and that access to that group (and coaches) meant more than at least presenting an understanding of the players' side.

When it went to it's own website, he hired people that never grabbed my attention. Jenny Vrentas, Albert Breer, Robert Klemko, etc, just never wrote anything I remember or even had a headline of an article that I felt like I had to read (I know lead writers and copy writers are two different things). The site was always randomly playing video at loud volumes, so I ago muted the site, so anything said that may have been interesting, I missed that as well. 

I hated how King set himself up as that arbiter of all that is holy about the NFL Hall of Fame, but then when he would get called on it by other people in the media, he would immediately hide behind, "don't blame me, blame the people who run the Hall of Fame" as if he had no say in it. I agree that Ed Sabol (and Jerry Jones) deserved a place in the Hall, but it shouldn't have had to come at the expense of a player. King would never push for a change in the Hall that would separate contributors from players and always pushed back on people who wanted him to do so.

Like most people in the media, King was unable to keep his politics out of it and he became the worst kind of SJW, the kind that takes up for both big money and the convenient minority. His presentation of the Kapernick situation was just down the line enough so not to offend the owners Kap is suing but also not hard hitting enough so as to offend the Kap supporters. Further, King's eldest daughter is gay and when she got married a year or so ago, he lost all perspective on party politics. No, Obama did not support gay marriage anymore than any Repub candidate. Gay marriage happened because of the Supreme Court and we need to give credit where it's due.

• Like 2

King Peter and Chris Moronson were pioneers in useless/useful mouthpieces that ushered in a new era of sports media trash, particularly related to football. The led the revolution in destroying all credibility and integrity in sports media.

Everyone has an axe to grind and many will in this thread, but Peter King is the last touchstone to great sports journalism. He's constantly championed talented journalists (not screaming mouthpieces) & has been tremendously deferential of those who came before him.

With regards to his NFL Hall of Fame reporting, I'll just say that no one has provided a more consistent view into the inner workings of the selection committee than King. No one. The rules make it clear that the discussions inside the voting room is private, but he did as good of a job as could have been done to explain the voting tallies without breaking the rules. 

He's 60 years old. His dad and at least one brother (maybe two?) died young due to heart disease. Thirty years in a business that wears you out due to travel & shitty hours is quite a road. I respect what he's done even when I've vehemently disagreed with his reporting. But he put his best effort out there & stood by his work.

The site was always randomly playing video at loud volumes, so I ago muted the site

Not was, is. Si.com is practically unusable at work with all the auto play vids and pop-ups. Can't get through an artical without it freezing at least once. Of course, work is still running IE, so that may be the issue

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Everyone has an axe to grind and many will in this thread, but Peter King is the last touchstone to great sports journalism. He's constantly championed talented journalists (not screaming mouthpieces) & has been tremendously deferential of those who came before him.

He championed garbage reporting and tabloid style gossip and bullshit, is what he did.

2 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

I'll give the man credit, where credit is due:  He could deep throat Roger Goodell like a fucking champion.

Well done, sir.

I used to read him all the time.  Great writer.  Then, his reporting on the Ray Rice story turned out to the word for word what Goodell's story was, which turned out to be a lie.  He's been in the tank for the league for years and that explains his favorable treatment of Jeff Fisher.  They're both members of the club.