May 22, Let's Commence

Guest Lobo

Guest Lobo

Kinda cool watching commencement at DKR.  We are graduating a record 10,000 degrees (undergrad and grad).  The most students of color, ever.  The most first in their families to graduate college, ever.  Students from the one of the best medical schools, law schools, business schools, engineering schools, geoscience schools, nursing schools, social work schools, architecture schools, music schools, natural/computer sciences schools, and many others.  

We just won the NCAA National Championship in Women's Tennis and the Big XII Championship in Baseball.  We are in the top mix for women's golf at the national championship.  We are heading to the Track & Field championships, Rowing, Men's Golf, and Softball as a Top 5 team.  Men were National Runners-Up in tennis. 

Our alumni and faculty were critical in the Covid-19 battle in terms of mapping, testing, and vaccination developments.  We are about to become the first university with a next generation chip manufacturing facility on its campus grounds.  The involvement of UT with space exploration is going to be officially codified later this year with spaceX.  

It's a good day to be a Longhorn.  When people ask you what happened here today, tell them...Texas Remembers.  

Screenshot_20210524-223459_Gallery.thumb.jpg.92cad775d87ace30f495d0fd34c3aadd.jpg

Petroleum Engineering grad, masters in finance to follow in a year....

Fireworks were impressive...from the nosebleed seats we could also see the fireworks display from the tower.  The whole ceremony was very well done

20210522_212945.jpg

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Screenshot_20210524-223459_Gallery.thumb.jpg.92cad775d87ace30f495d0fd34c3aadd.jpg

Petroleum Engineering grad, masters in finance to follow in a year....

Fireworks were impressive...from the nosebleed seats we could also see the fireworks display from the tower.  The whole ceremony was very well done

20210522_212945.jpg

Congrats, man!  I was actually wondering about your kid, no really.  We had those conversations 4 years ago about getting in and he got into PE and all that. 

He sounds a lot like my kid, who's taking pretty much the same tack right now (not yet a Master's, but he's formed his own large-resource real estate company in Austin and has already closed some deals.  Best of luck to him as he goes on.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, despite my wife aggressively encouraging me to take hot covert coed pics as much as I could, I told her that I love her so much I could never bring myself to do it.

Oh, sorry, that was the other graduation in Opposite World.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, phdhorn said:

This was when the last one mentioned, after the usual Army, Air Force, Marine, and Navy newly-minted officers, was commissioned into the new Space Force.  I'm not sure why, but the crowd erupted, maybe at yet another UT first.  For me, the cooler part is... I know the kid, he was one of my son's housemates this year!  

Out of curiosity, what ROTC program did he go through? I assume Air Force or was it actually a Space Force program?

47 minutes ago, F250 said:

Out of curiosity, what ROTC program did he go through? I assume Air Force or was it actually a Space Force program?

I don't think (yet) they have a full-blown Space Force program, my guess is they will down the road.  Actually I believe he was Army.  I love the guy, he's one of those quiet, polite guys who can bend steel or fly under a bus about to crash and take it to safety.  I can only see great things for the kid moving on.

Edit:  I heard that right now, this was their curriculum - 30 hours per week of this, then seminars and reports on same:

Rick_Morty_banner1-640x300.png

Edited by phdhorn
  • Haha 1