Memorial Day weekend 2021

hornian

Summer’s almost here, surlies and surlettes.

I’m planning to host a barbecue; and actually invite people over. Post vaxxed life is good. And no; your invitation wasn’t lost in the mail. 

I’m already in possession of two full packer briskets, 9 racks of spare ribs, about 20 lbs of various sausages and 15-20lbs of pork butt. Still need to pick up some turkey breasts. My garage “drink fridge” is currently a small scale butcher shop. 

The briskets will be going on the smoker at about 9 or 10 on Friday night; then I will space everything out so that it’s all smoked and ready by about noon on Saturday. Hopefully the weather cooperates, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve hosted a rainy barbecue if not. 

What do the rest of you heathens have planned?

Edited by hornian
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, hornian said:

Summer’s almost here, surlies and surlettes.

I’m planning to host a barbecue; and actually invite people over. Post vaxxed life is good. And no; your invitation wasn’t lost in the mail. 

I’m already in possession of two full packer briskets, 9 racks of spare ribs, about 20 lbs of various sausages and 15-20lbs of pork butt. Still need to pick up some turkey breasts. My garage “drink fridge” is currently a small scale butcher shop. 

The briskets will be going on the smoker at about 9 or 10 on Friday night; then I will space everything out so that it’s all smoked and ready by about noon on Saturday. Hopefully the weather cooperates, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve hosted a rainy barbecue if not. 

What do the rest of you heathens have planned?

My garage fridge is frequently my meat-prep station for various things being stored, curing, brining, and air-drying. Always makes it smell good. 

I did 9 racks of ribs a few weeks ago for a crowd. Had a blast doing it. The kid at HEB mentioned he might not br able to sell me that many at a time. Told him to either call his mgr or keep scanning and shut up. His stupidity aside, all went well. 

Cheers to your holiday cooking!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Heading up to Columbus, OH for the Memorial Tournament. Tuesday, we play Urbana Country Club which is the original Dye family first course. Pete’s son finished the second nine in 1994. Wednesday have been invited to play Scioto Country Club which is Uber exclusive and the home of Nicklaus.. Saturday and Sunday at the event.

Oh.....and a wee bit of drinking and other asundry things!!

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Heading down to Port A. I'm sure it'll be a clusterfuck 

Definitely need an after-action report on this one!  I’ll be at home, grilling for 2 and drinking for at least 3.

Edited by Horn Draoi
Damned keyboard

Wife, daughter, and I are renting a house in Gulf Shores with some close friends and their kids. I’ll be hob knobbin’ with Alabama elites.

I do have a 2009 Longhorn National Champs tshirt some vendor was giving away in the Rose Bowl tailgate area that night. Maybe I’ll wear that and see if anyone notices 🤔

• Hook 'Em 1

9000 ft in elevation in the Rockies.

Possible snow, albeit light flurries, on Sunday.

Aunt, Uncle, Grown ass cousin my age and his wife, my wife and my oldest brother.

Green chile pork stew is almost certain. Brisket( my cousin lives up there but is a Texan.) Homemade chicken and dumplings.  Not leaving till Wednesday.

Lots cabs and merlots for the ladies.  Dudes will be drankin bourbons and beers. I snagged a Blantons at my local store this morning. Games and dominoes will ensue.

Been looking forward to this for a long ass time.

Guest Lobo
On 5/23/2021 at 2:44 PM, The Original CaliHorn said:

Wednesday have been invited to play Scioto Country Club which is Uber exclusive and the home of Nicklaus.. Saturday and Sunday at the event.

That's so cute you think there's anything 'exclusive' in Ohio.   

Brisket has been on the smoker since 5:30 AM.  Ribs will go on around 11 or 12.  I mowed the backyard  and cleaned out the pool yesterday.  Today is gonna be pretty, pretty good.

Damn, it’s like you are me except swap ribs for chicken and sausage.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Rack of spares and a pork shoulder rubbed and dry-brining in the fridge, awaiting the WSM treatment.  Taters and cabbage washed, awaiting their respective salad and slaw treatments.  Blueberries at the ready for cobbler. 

On 5/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, TankedBevo said:

Heading down to Port A. I'm sure it'll be a clusterfuck 

I live on N Padre Island.

If Port A was anything like today here, I pity everyone that was on the beach.

And I didn't even go to the beach.  I just drove to the IGA and it was an utter clusterfuck.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:23 PM, Ag with kids said:

I live on N Padre Island.

If Port A was anything like today here, I pity everyone that was on the beach.

And I didn't even go to the beach.  I just drove to the IGA and it was an utter clusterfuck.

I was surprised that there was actually no wait when we went to eat at Virginia's at about 5:30 on that Friday night. I didn't attempt to go out to eat after that so it was a pleasant experience overall. 

• Like 1