Houston/Harris County punished by George P Bush for being majority Democratic

Nice Guy Eddie

SIAP. 

Bush and the General Land Office (GLO) decided not to provide any of the $1B in federal funding to improve flooding after Harvey. The money is being split by every other county not named Harris County. To be clear, there are a few small pockets of Harris County like Baytown that are receiving funds. They're cool because they vote GOP.

Basically the GLO adopted a point system that eliminated Houston due to its size, even though Houston sustained the most economic damage during Harvey. Not to pick on Bastrop County, but they are receiving $28 million for flood control projects, while Houston gets $0.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/05/21/harvey-houston-harris-hurricane-relief/

Bush has claimed that Houston and Harris County incorrectly filled out some forms but even his office isn't backing up that story.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 7

1 minute ago, RDCanecutter said:

GOP? That's straight out of the PRI handbook.

Well, George P Bush is one of "the little Brown ones" of days gone by, now all grown up.

Sometimes that side gets the best of him, as when a small group of Texas Patriots foiled his plan to put up a statue of Santa Anna on the Alamo grounds. 

Here are his lying denials

What a fucking POS you are.  Let Houston get hit by Harvey again and you’ll be whining and crying about Texas’ economy taking a hit. How could we not see this coming?!? 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Will be curious to see how this shakes out.  Unquestionably this is a huge fuckup on someones part.  

i dont think even the bush the younger  jr is dumb enough piss off both the rich river oaks folks and ship channel plants on purpose.  I dont see any possible political gains.  Someone made a mistake. 

Again, GLO and Bush are giving different answers but it does sound like the "impartial" system developed by GLO with discussion with the HUD under Trump came up with the following logic rules in scoring counties' needs that sunk Houston's chances of funding.

• Average county property value for residences. Houston trends lower than many counties because of lower income individuals.
  • % of public directly impacted by the Harvey flooding. Given Houston's large population, there were people that had no flood damage. I'm one of them. 

Now how some central Texas counties had a higher % of their public impacted by the Harvey flood is questionable. I wonder how impacted was defined. My house was not impacted by the flood but I definitely was impacted in that streets around me were impassable for 2 days.

Now, Harris County has proven to screw up budgets & processes in the past, so it's possible that they made mistakes or assumed they would get the majority of the funding. I still would have expected state officials to warn the largest county that they're endanger of missing out on funding because of a clerical mistake. And FYI, I would expect they would warn any county even the least populated county.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Dr. Teeth said:

It will not.

Correct.  There are no consequences.  People vote for the GQP because they are gullible and have bitten on stupid-ass, insane slogans like "COMMUNISM!"  And no matter what the GQP does to them, well, they can't support COMMUNISM, so they'll keep on voting GQP.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I still would have expected state officials to warn the largest county that they're endanger of missing out on funding because of a clerical mistake. And FYI, I would expect they would warn any county even the least populated county.

Yeah, the State did this on purpose.  You can't fault Harris County because the entire country saw what happened to Houston and surround areas during Harvey.  The only way Harris County doesn't get any money is by the State purposefully fucking them out of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

There was some discussion at the briefing this morning and I only caught a partial-- regarding FEMA and some upcoming natural disaster prep funds (wildfire and hurricane season).

The times in which we live had the sad thought immediately occurring to me--don't send it to Greg, because he will use it to balance the budget and screw over Houston.

I mean that's what they do most of them time isnt' it? Oh! You have to pay no income tax, but here is your list of fees for *insert exhaustive list here* and your property tax bill but look what all you get in return!

Alexa, won't you tell consumers what they have won?

Healthcare! No.

Reliable energy! No.

Clean air! Um, depends. Maybe don't go too near certain places like PNG.

Clean drinking water! Still depends. Are you on well or city?

Roads! Hahahahaha! Where's your Txtag sticker you fool? (they did transfer about a billion from the *rainy day fund into the state highway fund; bout time.)

Education! It's obvious you've never met Louis Gohmert.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Adding--this is the location of where any monies would go. To be doled out to approved counties, Harris not being one of them.
  • Haha 1

Apparently P thinks Harris County is 100% Dem and does not provide the largest number of statewide votes for Republicans.

And they’ll be talking about how they stuck it to those liberals while standing in a foot deep of water in their doublewide’s living room.

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

What a fucking POS you are.  Let Houston get hit by Harvey again and you’ll be whining and crying about Texas’ economy taking a hit. How could we not see this coming?!? 

Fuck you.  I spent a week and a ton of my own money going down there to help with Harvey. You don't fucking know me.

• Fuck You 2

24 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Fuck you.  I spent a week and a ton of my own money going down there to help with Harvey. You don't fucking know me.

I know enough. Your posting history is garbage. You don’t think those same people are worthy of state money to mitigate future disasters. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

I went to his account. He has a lot of Americans for Prosperity retweets. They have been active in Texas, going from district to district touting the new talking point.

Anyone who has any sway with the Democratic party here? Because they are knocking on doors and telling people to stop the waste. Yep, the new framing is about all the money that is being wasted due to Joe Biden.

Now, you can't say you didn't see that coming, but they are knocking on doors and getting the word out. Remember, the first info that lands on bare ground is what is going to stick. Democratic leaders here cannot fall asleep.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Shit like that is why I support preclearance by the DOJ.  The Texas GOP would actually have to defend why that’s ok to a higher authority 

Nah, Roberts said there's no more racism so we didn't need the voting rights act anymore. 

• Rage+1 1

Lmao. This is just incredible. Puts out intentionally inflammatory troll comment on public message board, make a strong case for being Surly’s whiniest bitch once called out. Bravo. Texags must be proud.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

That's the whole point, dumbass.  

Address problems before they become problems and you don't have to do anything after the fact. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I went to his account. He has a lot of Americans for Prosperity retweets. They have been active in Texas, going from district to district touting the new talking point.

Anyone who has any sway with the Democratic party here? Because they are knocking on doors and telling people to stop the waste. Yep, the new framing is about all the money that is being wasted due to Joe Biden.

Now, you can't say you didn't see that coming, but they are knocking on doors and getting the word out. Remember, the first info that lands on bare ground is what is going to stick. Democratic leaders here cannot fall asleep.

Dem leaders here haven’t been awake in Texas since the late 80’s, and they were napping a LOT back then. 

9 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I mean,  politically,  I get why he's doing it,  but W can't be the only Bush to see that he's kissing the ass of a viper that's just going to bite him. 

• 1 month later...

Bump.

After originally blaming Harris County for submitting bad applications, Bush quickly reversed course, but not without attempting to play the hero and pin all the blame on the Biden administration (for Texas' shitty application process enacted under a Trump-era law). 

"I have heard the overwhelming concerns of Harris County regarding the mitigation funding competition," wrote Bush in a statement. "I am no stranger to standing with the people of Texas as we fight against the federal government. As such, I have directed the GLO to work around the federal government's regulations and allocate $750 million for mitigation efforts in Harris County."

Today, Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush announced plans to sub-award $750 million in light of a denial by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) of a direct allocation of mitigation funding for Harris County. The General Land Office (GLO) will be drafting an action plan that will include a set aside of Community Development Block Grant Mitigation (CDBG-MIT) funding for $750 million and direct at least $500 million in additional funds to be distributed through the Regional Mitigation Program. Additional details will be released as the action plan amendment is finalized in accordance with HUD rules and federal requirements.

“Money from the federal government is, as always, tied up with endless mounds of red tape and bureaucracy,” said Commissioner George P. Bush. “During Hurricane Harvey, Texans in Harris County undoubtedly suffered some of the costliest damage in the state. After considerable back and forth with the Biden Administration’s Department of Housing and Urban Development, the General Land Office will allocate $750 million in funding for mitigation efforts in Harris County and continue to work around the federal government’s ever-changing bureaucratic demands.”

If you read all the way through the GLO press release "fighting the feds" and "working around the federal government" basically means, "After our allocation formula resulted in Harris County getting shafted, HUD told us exactly how we could provide alternative funding to Harris County under the existing law and we did just that." Shameless.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1