Fine art paintings

deadshank

Not that I have any but I certainly appreciate fine paintings.  It is one thing I wish I could do but I’m a Neanderthal and the rudimentary scratches on my cave wall wouldn’t play at The Louvre.

What are some of your favorites?

(It is okay to extend the pinky finger on your hand that is holding  wine glass as you bare your soul about your favorite paintings.) 

I will post a few of mine.  

1.) Gulf Stream by Winslow Homer

2.) Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks  by Ilya Repin

3.) The Icebergs by Frederic Edwin Church. 

Note: The actual text of the Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks to Sultan Mehmed IV is a classic and filth-laden laugher.   Those guys could make Sam Kinison blush. 

E9E1D3D7-5399-4B56-A35B-131F670C7F85.jpeg

3D10F215-C59A-4283-8232-71E81164779E.jpeg

289F5814-F3B5-4259-9BD0-DC2058991BBD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

One of my dad's old partners had a large print of The Cossacks prominently displayed in his office, and he'd gladly read off the letter to anyone who ever asked, and then some. 

I liked the painting, the story, the creativity, the vulgarity, the obvious cameraderie, and the absolute depth of character that the viewer can infer from the painting, so I had a print made for back when I had an office wall. It's now propped up against our guest room wall, along with a print of The Defenestration of Prague, another piece of former office decor (placed next to my 25th floor window), also a character-packed action scene that somehow coincidentally involves religion, defiance, and Strongly Worded Notes. 

20210524_173341.jpg

20210524_173414.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Drool 1

I can't find an image of my favorite painting. I was on a bus excursion with some students in France, we went to Compiegne, saw a play, went out to the Armistice clearing, and as the day was winding down, we went through a small museum in a little town, I know not where.

I don't remember anything else in the museum, but one small painting caught my eye. I think it was from the 1920s. It was a self-portrait of the artist, his wife, and their little one-eared dog. I am pretty sure the artist was American. He and the woman looked like maybe they had really good times and really bad times, like maybe somebody had thrown a plate earlier that day. The little dog was named either Vincent or Van Gogh. The man was holding a picture frame and a hammer.

I can't describe how stunned I was by it. Not by the technique, though it was good. What got me was that I felt like I was looking straight through a window into one moment in their lives.

I looked them up and found no mention of them. I have since lost the names. Once every few years I'll wander the internet and try to dig up where that museum might have been, was it a village, was it the edge of a larger town. No luck

4 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

I can't find an image of my favorite painting. I was on a bus excursion with some students in France, we went to Compiegne, saw a play, went out to the Armistice clearing, and as the day was winding down, we went through a small museum in a little town, I know not where.

I don't remember anything else in the museum, but one small painting caught my eye. I think it was from the 1920s. It was a self-portrait of the artist, his wife, and their little one-eared dog. I am pretty sure the artist was American. He and the woman looked like maybe they had really good times and really bad times, like maybe somebody had thrown a plate earlier that day. The little dog was named either Vincent or Van Gogh. The man was holding a picture frame and a hammer.

I can't describe how stunned I was by it. Not by the technique, though it was good. What got me was that I felt like I was looking straight through a window into one moment in their lives.

I looked them up and found no mention of them. I have since lost the names. Once every few years I'll wander the internet and try to dig up where that museum might have been, was it a village, was it the edge of a larger town. No luck

Is this it?

8AE57A8C-9A8E-41E5-83A8-67EDEE4A1AC5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Antonio Lopez Garcia but difficult to find just one:

image.png.c89d9235b804e8f2f3b53a18cd0f8a64.png

love this because it started as a panel and grew--surfaces are tactile, very much about the way they feel.  

image.png.835833a8a5965d06c68db77b420630be.png

Alex Kanevsky--Bacon influences utilizing movement, pattern and representation

image.png.a7b1e5189d9a66b6c4a5d84ab88dc802.png

image.png.52098745d5f17c8fa3cda20301e926d7.png

Paula Rego and knowing that there are life-size pastel drawing after pastel drawing of these narratives and stories

image.thumb.png.c8477236c0634295428c5fff44470c12.png may 

Art may not have anything new to offer in terms of styles but stories is always kind of invigorating

image.png.0400b7d32d51bf3ede565e85268ae5aa.png

always loved these Melissa Miller works

image.png.617b9116424d6999d4cec15da090a6bb.png

Freud 

image.thumb.png.756a7eb311a2384f6bb010f837ffabcc.png

embracing the irregularities of painting--doesn't have to be photographic but contains a sense of the sitter through a painterly realism--eyelashes and fingernails.   

image.png.84f448358da0958653c33fc168aa50e3.png

painting a sink with running water--which involves painting the sense of something flowing because it's not static.

so many good Francis Bacon's. 

Edited by Mdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

There are a lot of interesting paintings out there.  Many I wouldn't want on my wall, but fascinating to look at.

William Blake was a trippy dude for his era.  So also Hieronymous Bosch.

The impressionists make good wall art.

I could look at Dutch Masters for the technique alone for hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

There are a lot of interesting paintings out there.  Many I wouldn't want on my wall, but fascinating to look at.

William Blake was a trippy dude for his era.  So also Hieronymous Bosch.

The impressionists make good wall art.

I could look at Dutch Masters for the technique alone for hours.

Unlike technology like photoshop, you can follow the path of a person's fingertips from several centuries ago.  That's quite a visual record.  When they paint and repaint, it's nice to see their thoughts and a physical sense of composing.  

If you’re ever in or going through SE Texas, downtown Orange has the Stark Museum of American Western Art. It’s a great place that has original paintings and sculptures from the famous artists of that time/era. Very nice museum for a small town. Definitely worth a couple hours spent, just south of I-10.

I can't think of a specific favorite painting, but I have been impressed a few times how incredibly different the physical painting can be from a print that otherwise looks much the same. My parents had a print by some Dutch painter, of a young woman in a kitchen or something like that. The print was so boring, I could not imagine why anyone would put up such a boring picture. Then I saw it in person in the Rijksmuseum, and it glowed, the daylight was luminescent yellow. It was amazing! But only in person.

I've had similar experiences with some Frida Kahlo works, things I had seen a million times as a print, then in person I see the eyes in the portraits for real, and it is a shock.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, deadshank said:

Nary a thujone original MS Paint dick pic either.   

Tastes really do change. 

Or Georgia o’keefe vaginas.

I’ll contribute a serious addition soon.

Edited by troph

On 5/24/2021 at 9:35 PM, pantone159 said:

I can't think of a specific favorite painting, but I have been impressed a few times how incredibly different the physical painting can be from a print that otherwise looks much the same. My parents had a print by some Dutch painter, of a young woman in a kitchen or something like that. The print was so boring, I could not imagine why anyone would put up such a boring picture. Then I saw it in person in the Rijksmuseum, and it glowed, the daylight was luminescent yellow. It was amazing! But only in person.

I've had similar experiences with some Frida Kahlo works, things I had seen a million times as a print, then in person I see the eyes in the portraits for real, and it is a shock.

I got to go to a show years ago at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts where they had a lot of famous paintings on display, like Starry Night and The Persistence of Memory. One of the things that really struck me was how small many of those famous paintings are.

• Hook 'Em 1