Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

Three of the games will be on ESPNU:

1. Tech and Baylor tomorrow morning.

2. The loser of that game will play the loser of the TCU vs K-State game Thursday at 9AM

3. And if Texas loses tomorrow they will play the loser of the Oklahoma State vs OUSucks game Thursday at 12:30PM

Then the championship game will be on ESPN2 on Sunday at 5PM

Everything else will be on ESPN+ I presume. I did see somewhere that the station formally known as Fox College Sports Central might have the games on Saturday as well.

Edited by Valmy77

Guest Lobo

If you stay in the winner's bracket, you can win the whole thing in 4 games (Win on Wed, Thu, Sat, and Sun).  But yes, I also like the idea of 5 straight wins with the Regionals looming.  

fun fact, for the first time in league history...a team could play in 7 games in the OKC conference tourney.  Winner of WVU/KAN tonight could go on to lose 1 in bracket, but come out of loser's bracket and win it, and then go on to win the Title game on Sunday.  They could take the crown at 6-1 on the week(end).  Doubtful given their bullpens, but weird shit happens in baseball.  

Texas just needs to win its first two, everything after that is gravy in OKC.  We could get to Sunday and possibly secure a #2 overall seed, but #3 seems locked in pretty much at this point unless a spectacularly bad 2-and-Q by the Horns up there.  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

If you stay in the winner's bracket, you can win the whole thing in 4 games (Win on Wed, Thu, Sat, and Sun).  But yes, I also like the idea of 5 straight wins with the Regionals looming.  

fun fact, for the first time in league history...a team could play in 7 games in the OKC conference tourney.  Winner of WVU/KAN tonight could go on to lose 1 in bracket, but come out of loser's bracket and win it, and then go on to win the Title game on Sunday.  They could take the crown at 6-1 on the week(end).  Doubtful given their bullpens, but weird shit happens in baseball.  

Texas just needs to win its first two, everything after that is gravy in OKC.  We could get to Sunday and possibly secure a #2 overall seed, but #3 seems locked in pretty much at this point unless a spectacularly bad 2-and-Q by the Horns up there.  

Yeah, my math was off.  I needed a Snickers.  I also stopped short.  Give me a 14 game win streak, and I'm good.  Four at OKC, three in the regional, two in the super, the first three in Omaha to get to the final, then two in the final.  Can of corn, right?

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, Here for Zed said:

What does the ticket situation look like? Are they going to sellout, or will single session tickets be available the day of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past, plenty of tickets available at the box office on gameday.    Since OU/OKSt are in our bracket,  probably not as many but definitely don't buy the tournament package.

Single session tickets on sale,  link below.

https://big12sports.com/feature/2021-baseball-championship

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yikes, not starting Wolf didn't work for WV at all. 

Well maybe they didn't want to bring him in on short rest (granted...he pitched on Thursday)

Because yeah you never want to get cute in an elimination game.

Oh and WV is on the board now 5-1 in the 2nd. This is not over yet.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Well maybe they didn't want to bring him in on short rest (granted...he pitched on Thursday)

Because yeah you never want to get cute in an elimination game.

Oh and WV is on the board now 5-1 in the 2nd. This is not over yet.

True, WV could still win this. The problem is now they're like going to burn a bunch of bullpen arms. Even if they do come back and win this they're going to be reliant on Wolf going very deep tomorrow. 

Only reason not to throw Wolf is that you mailed it in and rather your senior not pitch the last game of the year, save his arm for whatever professional future he has. 

With the BP, KU stands to score more than just 5.

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think WV knows they have no chance against Texas without Wolf. 

They took a risk in hope of getting a favorable match up with Texas. When you aren't good you have to take risks to get the auto-bid. 

That seems crazy to me. This is an elimination game. You always throw everything at an elimination game and figure the rest out later....or at least that was what Augie always said.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That seems crazy to me. This is an elimination game. You always throw everything at an elimination game and figure the rest out later....or at least that was what Augie always said.

Yeah, but the point is to try and get the auto bid. Winning one game means nothing if you aren't set up to advance. 

You lose to Texas then you have 3 elimination games against Texas, Oklahoma State, or OU. No chance WV is beating those 3 teams 3 times in a row. 

IMO, WV's best chance of getting the auto bid was to find a way to win this with some type of shit arm and then beat Texas with your ace. Then one more win to get in the winner's bracket. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sorry for the derail, but when did catchers start wearing ear pieces for communication with the dugout? I'm watching the SECSECSEC baseball tournament. I've never noticed Ardoin or Petrinsky with one, but the Georgia catcher is wearing one. 

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

If the pitcher is also wearing one that takes care of people stealing signs.

But I have never seen that before.

Just noticed, he also has a walkie talkie in his back pocket, like a security guard. I'll post a pic in a sec.

8CABE9E5-596D-4AEC-956C-E235A7EBD492.jpeg

Edited by Droopy

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If this is the best starter Kansas has lord. This is awful. 

Larson isn't great or anything but man he just cannot get this last out. 

Ok there he goes. Going to the 5th tied at 5. Now we get to see that world beating WV bullpen in action.

36 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Sorry for the derail, but when did catchers start wearing ear pieces for communication with the dugout? I'm watching the SECSECSEC baseball tournament. I've never noticed Ardoin or Petrinsky with one, but the Georgia catcher is wearing one. 

SEC approved communication with the dugout couple of years ago to speed up the game.    Not sure it has been given final approval by NCAA.

An SEC rule passed before the 2018 season allowed teams to use a radio and headset for communication from the dugout to the catcher to call pitches. That was done on an experimental basis to see if improved communication sped up the game.

https://www.tidesports.com/other-sports/20190401/radio-communication-helping-catchers-get-calls/

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

These teams are awful. 

Kansas gives up an out after they're picked off at first, then an error allows another Kansas base runner, and now on a pitch out WV still can't get an out at 2nd. 

What? No way that was an error.