Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, CDAK said:

TCU is on the edge of a top 8 seed. I don't think it's certain for them yet. Winning the Big 12 tournament probably clinches a top 8 seed.

That’s a good point. They probably don’t get a top 8 seed unless they win it. Maybe not even if they do, given the way the committee has acted in the past though.

50 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

This. We’re getting a top 8 seed, probably 3-4, so who cares about this tournament. The only team that should care at this point is KSU.

Why would we not get #2? We got 2 wins. Who is going to jump us?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Why would we not get #2? We got 2 wins. Who is going to jump us?

It wouldn’t really surprise me to see us behind Vanderbilt. Everyone and their mother have sucked off Rocker and Leiter all year, even when they’ve faltered. I wouldn’t expect them to stop now. 

9 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

It wouldn’t really surprise me to see us behind Vanderbilt. Everyone and their mother have sucked off Rocker and Leiter all year, even when they’ve faltered. I wouldn’t expect them to stop now. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Vamderbilt has a better record against quality teams

Better question then - what is the material difference between #2 and #3? 

If we get slotted #4 that's an absolute hose job. 

And who the fuck is Vambderbilt?

Edited by ztejas

Guest Lobo

You're thinking of her second cousin, they call her ole' GloriaHole 

So Vanderbilt went 5-5 down the stretch, not great.  Lot of quality losses though.  Dropped series with Ole Miss, won series with Kentucky, but a quick 1-2 in their conference tourney.  We didn't fare a whole lot better.  Don't be surprised if they still get a #2 over us.  

Arizona also didn't do much to overtake us.  Taking 2 of 3 AT Oregon State certainly helped.  But they are literally about to lose a home series to Dixie State University.  Yep, it's a real school in Utah.  Apparently with a real baseball team.  With uniforms, and everything.  They split the weeknight games with Arizona and are currently leading in the rubber match.  Could be enough to knock Arizona down a national seed or two since there are lots of eyeballs on the Pac-12 final weekend series (they have no conference tourney).  

One to watch is Tennessee.  Took 2 of 3 AT South Carolina to close the regular season.  And are headed tomorrow to the SEC baseball tournament championship versus Arkansas, having dominated Florida and Mississippi State in the process (outscored 'em both 16-2).  While I suspect the entire bracket is set already, do not be surprised to see Tennessee pass over Arizona for a Top 4 national seed...particularly if they knock off Arkansas tomorrow.  

Guest Lobo
9 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, secsec could get 3 of the 4 top seeds.  Shocked, I tell ya!

If I had to bet tonight, I'd say they get 3 of the Top 4 actually, with Texas being the only outlier.  Arizona at 5.  Maybe it doesn't matter to the committee, but with Stanford finishing strong and Mississippi State shitting the bed in their conference tourney, I don't see any other SEC teams claiming National top 8's.  I think Notre Dame holds on to theirs and TCU may have done just enough in OKC to cling to theirs.  But I think Stanford rises alongside Notre Dame for 6 & 7 (not necessarily in that order).  And then 8 is battled out by TCU, Mississippi State, or some wild card I'm not thinking of right now.  

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Better question then - what is the material difference between #2 and #3? 

If we get slotted #4 that's an absolute hose job. 

And who the fuck is Vambderbilt?

This right here.  2 vs 3, I don't really care.  #4 and I'm fucking pissed. #4 and that is the committee fucking us in the ass without the courtesy of a reacharound.

Guest Lobo

2 or 3 doesn’t matter, yes.   But who you get assigned to your super regional matters very much.  You don’t want the four because it’s Arkansas your first day in Omaha and that’s trouble.  

Where we fit between two and three will still come down to Tennessee and TCU tomorrow.  

19 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

This right here.  2 vs 3, I don't really care.  #4 and I'm fucking pissed. #4 and that is the committee fucking us in the ass without the courtesy of a reacharound.

Ehhh, with our showing in the tournament Tennessee and Vanderbilt both could make a serious case to be ahead of us. Would not be shocked to see us 4th

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

2 or 3 doesn’t matter, yes.   But who you get assigned to your super regional matters very much.  You don’t want the four because it’s Arkansas your first day in Omaha and that’s trouble.  

Where we fit between two and three will still come down to Tennessee and TCU tomorrow.  

It’s Arkansas your second day in Omaha. Your first day it’s the 5 seed. So like Arizona probably. 

9 hours ago, chase25 said:

Ehhh, with our showing in the tournament Tennessee and Vanderbilt both could make a serious case to be ahead of us. Would not be shocked to see us 4th

4th would be absurd and I’d expect some of you guys to get some dirt on the committee and threaten their families if we end up the 4 seed

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It’s Arkansas your second day in Omaha. Your first day it’s the 5 seed. So like Arizona probably. 

Yeah, I don't know what invisible bracket I was looking at my head.  Long Saturday of day drinking.  

1/8 & 4/5 in one bracket.  2/7 and 3/6 in the other bracket.  Assuming no major upsets along the way.  

Here's D1 Baseball's final tournament projection of the year...just released early this morning.  

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-may-30/

Remember when I said expect Tennessee to move up a bit based on a good finish and getting to SEC tourney finals?  Uh yeah, D1 has them going all the way past us to #2.  Arizona takes a ding from 4 down to 5.  Texas and Vandy come in at 3 and 4 respectively.  For getting its shit together in OKC, TCU remains solidly as a National seed, #7.  Mississippi State moves into the #8 spot to give the SEC half the Super Regionals.  I still think Stanford gets that last hosting Super since Miss. State went 2-and-Q in their tournament while Stanford won the series with a post-season bound Oregon State.  You can't tell me Miss. State shouldn't suffer too much for playing poorly in a meaningless conference tournament while the performance in that same tournament is what has catapulted Tennessee from a #7 seed to a #2 seed in a matter of a week.  

FWIW-they have our 2 as UCONN, 3 as Michigan, and 4 as Bryant. I have a real hard time believing, with Covid-19 travel and how good all around us the baseball has been, they're gonna ship 3 far away teams here from the East Coast and Midwest.  We're gonna have one southern or "mid-country" team here in our regional.  Anyway, we pair again with #14 Florida which I think is really going to happen given the SEC balance across the two brackets in Omaha being the committee's ultimate goal apparently.  With Miami having a chance at coming out of there with an upset.  

Regional host sites being winnowed from 20 to 16 later today.  I suspect East Carolina, Gonzaga, LA Tech, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, and So. Miss. to be waiting on pins 'n needles.  I think we'll see as many as two regional sites having a #1 seed that are the visiting team.  

5:00p-Big XII Tournament Championship game.  TCU trying to solidify that Top 8 that was almost out of reach this time last week.  OSU trying to get the very best #2 seed assignment possible, maybe #15 LA Tech or so.  

7:30p-Regional sites, numbering 16, are announced.  

SUN @11:00a-full bracket 

Thank a veteran sometime in between all that.  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I don't know what invisible bracket I was looking at my head.  Long Saturday of day drinking.  

1/8 & 4/5 in one bracket.  2/7 and 3/6 in the other bracket.  Assuming no major upsets along the way.  

Here's D1 Baseball's final tournament projection of the year...just released early this morning.  

https://d1baseball.com/postseason/projected-field-of-64-may-30/

Remember when I said expect Tennessee to move up a bit based on a good finish and getting to SEC tourney finals?  Uh yeah, D1 has them going all the way past us to #2.  Arizona takes a ding from 4 down to 5.  Texas and Vandy come in at 3 and 4 respectively.  For getting its shit together in OKC, TCU remains solidly as a National seed, #7.  Mississippi State moves into the #8 spot to give the SEC half the Super Regionals.  I still think Stanford gets that last hosting Super since Miss. State went 2-and-Q in their tournament while Stanford won the series with a post-season bound Oregon State.  You can't tell me Miss. State shouldn't suffer too much for playing poorly in a meaningless conference tournament while the performance in that same tournament is what has catapulted Tennessee from a #7 seed to a #2 seed in a matter of a week.  

FWIW-they have our 2 as UCONN, 3 as Michigan, and 4 as Bryant. I have a real hard time believing, with Covid-19 travel and how good all around us the baseball has been, they're gonna ship 3 far away teams here from the East Coast and Midwest.  We're gonna have one southern or "mid-country" team here in our regional.  Anyway, we pair again with #14 Florida which I think is really going to happen given the SEC balance across the two brackets in Omaha being the committee's ultimate goal apparently.  With Miami having a chance at coming out of there with an upset.  

Regional host sites being winnowed from 20 to 16 later today.  I suspect East Carolina, Gonzaga, LA Tech, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, and So. Miss. to be waiting on pins 'n needles.  I think we'll see as many as two regional sites having a #1 seed that are the visiting team.  

5:00p-Big XII Tournament Championship game.  TCU trying to solidify that Top 8 that was almost out of reach this time last week.  OSU trying to get the very best #2 seed assignment possible, maybe #15 LA Tech or so.  

7:30p-Regional sites, numbering 16, are announced.  

SUN @11:00a-full bracket 

Thank a veteran sometime in between all that.  

Bracket announcement is MONDAY at 11am.

Guest Lobo

Well feels like a Saturday today, so my bad.  I just turned officially old a couple days ago, I'm easily confused.  Have a heart.  

Tennessee up to an early lead over Arkansas to fuck us over a Top 3 seed.  We'll see...lotta baseball left to be played today.

Speaking of that, why does the Big XII wait until 5:00p to start our title game.  Most of the other "winner-take-all" Sunday title games start early afternoon, we wait until 5:00p.  I know ESPN wants to stagger them, but they have a whole host of networks.  I think later start times just minutes before regional sites are settled are foolish.  If an auto-qualifier were to pull off the unthinkable---which KSU almost did---I think it does a disservice to the higher-seeded favorite and dings the overall conference seedings.  

I think if TCU were to win earlier in the day, they'd have a more solidified chance at a Top 8 seed.  They're still in either way by making it to today but could help their chances by not being the last Top 8 to play today.  Similiarly, OSU could help their chances at a favorable 2 spot close by...but by the time the conference game ends tonight...they'll have already painted all Big XII teams into a corner from which they cannot advance.  OSU deserves a close-by, weaker regional host seed to be paired up with, if they were to win tonight...nobody'll be paying attention to that last minute detail.  

tl; dr---Big XII league does weird shit.  I'm sure our football championship game will be played at 9:00AM while we wonder how come we don't bring in the same TV revenue as other leagues.  

2 minutes ago, Dewey said:

How much is this game worth if the ncaa is currently announcing host sites? 

Matters for overall seeding, I suppose. OSU wasn't going to host no matter what happened this week because Stillwater was not one of the pre-approved 20 sites.

44 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So if we get a higher seed than TCU, is it fair to say that is 100% due to our non-conference schedule?

The NCAA committee doesn't care too much about conference tournaments. They matter but they aren't going to move the needle over regular season results/bigger sample. 

For instance, Texas is now the 6th #1 seed in a row in the Big 12 tournament that didn't even make the Big 12 tournament championship game. 4 of the previous 5 ended up at the CWS. 

Reality is, sometimes it's better to be sitting at home resting arms and staying fresh. I think the committee knows that when evaluating conference tournaments. 

The NCAA committee doesn't care too much about conference tournaments. They matter but they aren't going to move the needle over regular season results/bigger sample. 
For instance, Texas is now the 6th #1 seed in a row in the Big 12 tournament that didn't even make the Big 12 tournament championship game. 4 of the previous 5 ended up at the CWS. 
Reality is, sometimes it's better to be sitting at home resting arms and staying fresh. I think the committee knows that when evaluating conference tournaments. 

We tied in the regular season. They had a better tourney. But we beat them 2 of 3. I’m not sure that’s enough to position us higher. It doesn’t matter necessarily but it shows the importance of non-conference scheduling and performance.

That said the tourney is semi-useless. We are likely better off returning home early to prepare for regionals.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

We tied in the regular season. They had a better tourney. But we beat them 2 of 3. I’m not sure that’s enough to position us higher. It doesn’t matter necessarily but it shows the importance of non-conference scheduling and performance.

That said the tourney is semi-useless. We are likely better off returning home early to prepare for regionals.

TCU lost its final 3 series. 2 against teams that won't make the tournament. 

They had a brutal finish to the regular season. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

TCU lost its final 3 series. 2 against teams that won't make the tournament. 

They had a brutal finish to the regular season. 

I wouldn't count out Kansas State, probably less than 50% chance they get in but you cant ignore their 10 Q1 wins. It would be criminal in my opinion if Pitt got in over a Kansas State or Alabama.

Hope that one day college baseball gets to a point financially where the 64 best teams actually get in and not because of financial reasons.

I also hate Jim Delaney, guy is a cry baby. B1G gets way to much love every tournament because the NCAA is desperate for someone in the North to step up and be good. Props to Michigan for their run in 2019 but it is a joke that the entire B1G is getting respect. Maryland is 28-16 against only a B1G schedule, Maryland if they played in the Big 12 would be right where West Virginia is and yet Maryland is a projected 2 seed.