Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

Baylor 1 - Tech 8

Baylor scores, but nobody cares. This is evidenced by this tournament taking place in the shithole that is Oklahoma, no offense resident Pokes. Every crowd shot is people looking at their phones wishing they were doing something else. I believe @NeverMarryAStripper mentioned "this looks like two old people fucking", and he was spot on.

BORING + Zero Crowd = I'd rather go to my meetings.

3 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Baylor 1 - Tech 8

Baylor scores, but nobody cares. This is evidenced by this tournament taking place in the shithole that is Oklahoma, no offense resident Pokes. Every crowd shot is people looking at their phones wishing they were doing something else. I believe @NeverMarryAStripper mentioned "this looks like two old people fucking", and he was spot on.

BORING + Zero Crowd = I'd rather go to my meetings.

9am opening round game on a Wed morning... exactly where could they play this game where you would have a nice crowd other than on one of the relevant campuses?

3 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

9am opening round game on a Wed morning... exactly where could they play this game where you would have a nice crowd other than on one of the relevant campuses?

Watching the SECSECSEC tournament, and they have decent, engaged crowds. Maybe it's a difference in conferences but the crowd and atmosphere of the SEC tournament >> Big XII tournament

Hell, the game is a blow out with FL beating Ms St 9-1 and it feels like a close game.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Having coffee this morning and watching the game felt weird this morning.  I should be on the back porch grilling and drinking while watching the game.  Is it too early for that?

It's never too early. Live your best life.

13 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Watching the SECSECSEC tournament, and they have decent, engaged crowds. Maybe it's a difference in conferences but the crowd and atmosphere of the SEC tournament >> Big XII tournament

Hell, the game is a blow out with FL beating Ms St 9-1 and it feels like a close game.

Yeah but the South is full of degenerate alcoholics and welfare recipients. Unlike Oklahoma. 

Wait...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but the South is full of degenerate alcoholics and welfare recipients. Unlike Oklahoma. 

Wait...

eggsactly.

I'm sure this is most of that fanbases summer vacation/family reunion and that the teams there are highly ranked but shit it seems like a world of difference watching that broadcast vs the BigXII

Florida is on fire, 13-1 over MsST

Edited by Droopy

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

TCU is bringing their regular season momentum to the post-season I see. They are going to be a #2 seed if they keep this up.

Hey! Zeke and Zonk are doing the commentary.

It's kind of funny that the only reason they are playing K State is because they blew a huge 9th inning lead to... K State in their last game of the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

TCU is bringing their regular season momentum to the post-season I see. They are going to be a #2 seed if they keep this up.

Would they tank the conference tourney with their worst pitchers just to save their best pitchers if they already know they're in the only tourney that matters?

I seem to remember Texas going 0-2 (or losing the 1st game in single-elimination) in the conference tourney at least a couple times (maybe under both Gus and Augie) and then turning it back on for the big tourney games that mattered in the regionals, especially back when the regionals were 6-team wars of attrition (winner of the 6-team regional went directly to Omaha; no super-regionals).

7 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Would they tank the conference tourney with their worst pitchers just to save their best pitchers if they already know they're in the only tourney that matters?

I seem to remember Texas going 0-2 (or losing the 1st game in single-elimination) in the conference tourney at least a couple times (maybe under both Gus and Augie) and then turning it back on for the big tourney games that mattered in the regionals, especially back when the regionals were 6-team wars of attrition (winner of the 6-team regional went directly to Omaha; no super-regionals).

I don't remember Texas ever intentionally tanking the tournament. Both Augie and Gus made a decent effort to win it, you don't win it as often as they did otherwise. See Texas' deep and dramatic run in the 2002 Big 12 tournament where Texas fought all the way out of the loser's bracket to win the final in extra innings. But sometimes yeah the juice wasn't flowing as much as it was in the Regionals obviously, but never did they run out scrub pitchers in an attempt to lose nor did TCU do that here.

But it would be especially silly for TCU to do that here. They are on the bubble in whether or not they are hosting "the only tournament that matters". Go 0-2 here and they might be on the road as a #2 seed.

Edited by Valmy77

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I don't remember Texas ever intentionally tanking the tournament. Both Augie and Gus made a decent effort to win it, you don't win it as often as they did otherwise. See Texas' deep and dramatic run in the 2002 Big 12 tournament where Texas fought all the way out of the loser's bracket to win the final in extra innings. But sometimes yeah the juice wasn't flowing as much as it was in the Regionals obviously, but never did they run out scrub pitchers in an attempt to lose nor did TCU do that here.

I never saw Texas run out scrub pitchers for the SWC or Big12 tourneys.

I wouldn't be surprised if TCU did that or had their good pitchers just throw straight/underperform, however.

Edited by BachelorTrek

26 minutes ago, WBT said:

Moreland just called it the great state of Oklahoma.  I hate it when announcers say stupid stuff to try to seem unbiased.

For your information they have the biggest percentage of incarcerated criminals of any state in this Union, and probably the highest such percentage of any comparable population in the world. World class criminality. He didn't specify what Oklahoma was great at.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

I kind of think it was better when the SWC tournament was hosted by the schools. But I guess the SWC was also geographically more compact so it was an easy trip for anybody who wanted to go to attend. But at least the crowds looked bigger in on campus parks.

• Like 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Our softball team had first pitch at like 11:15 the other night.  They can handle it.

Oh I know the teams can handle it, I was just thinking about hard working Okies being late to the meth lab the next morning.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1