The 2021 NBA Draft

shadow_operative

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Kai gets drafted, they show some shitty 15 second highlight reel, and then they immediately move to talking about the Hawks. wow that was underwhelming.

What was up with those highlights?  I think Kai was in the SC top 10 a couple times and instead they show that crap. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What are the Knicks doing? I get it that Thibs doesn't like rookies, but it seems starting with 2 first round picks and ending with a SG that is a 2nd round projection isn't that great of a haul.  Especially when SG is your deepest position to start.

1 minute ago, Fastbreak said:

Winners

1. Rockets

2. Hornets

3. Warriors

4. Pistons

5. Magic

----------

27. Pelicans

28. Knicks

29. Spurs

30. Mavs

Maybe Pop was drunk on Sake or maybe he is just done.....

This isn’t fair to the Mavs.

I dunno, he's a top half of the second round pick. No idea what that pays but I would think it's about where he's been told he would land.  It's a small market team but usually has good post-season success.  More than any of the four guys that went to the draft from Texas, he would have benefited from another year---particularly not under Shaka.  But he made his call.  Hope we still see Sims name get called before bedtime.  

3 Longhorns in one draft plus a very likely UDFA in Coleman.  

to be fair to Shaka, Abilene Christian had a phenomenal NBA draft/signing season as well.  But it had to happen this way, he had to be so fucking ashamed and embarrassed but not shunned so as to sign somewhere else.  It had to happen this way, I suppose. 

Our program has won 2 games since 2009.  13 years by the time we're in next year's Big Dance.  We'll match those 2 wins in the first weekend.  Guaranteed.  

Also, best of luck to Jones, Brown, Sims, and Coleman.  All should have steady careers in pro ball for years to come.  Always helps with recruiting to have extra Longhorns in the NBA.  We're on to bigger things as a program other than draft picks who once won a conference tourney title.  

*three front court players were drafted, and we still lost to one of if not *the* smallest teams on the tourney, and ACU didn't even play well, in fact they were bad. not to mention that Matt Coleman will be a really good Euro player and that Andrew Jones might also play in the NBA.

Edited by shadow_operative

Read a bit more about the Josh Giddey pick from Okie City.  Lord knows I don't watch Australian basketball but that's evidently a really good league.  He's big, an excellent passer and rebounder and is an OK shooter.  Supposedly, GS was going to take him at 7 and Memphis at 10.  The teams with good international scouting people were all over him.  He wasn't ever in the top tier (Cade, the Jalens, etc.) but he was at the top of the second tier.  Only 18 years old, too.  The pick just took me as a surprise.  Thought they'd take Bouknight.  They have something like five players now under 21 years old.

Glad they didn't take Barnes.  Level of play in college really isn't that good and if a player can't assert himself on offense at that level, he's not going to in the NBA.    Pro basketball is becoming like MLB in that your foreign scouting is just as if not more important than your domestic college scouting.

Prolly helps explain some of the chatter about Cade's workouts.  No one seem to hate them but they were blown away by Green and Mobley.  That made me think they weren't impressed with Cade physically.  I think Cade will be great, actually, but I can understand teams being less that impressed if this "big" point guard really wasn't that big.

Cade is better than the Josh Giddy dude at Okie City but Giddy showed up at 6'9" and 210 lbs and he's only 18.