COPA AMERICA 2021 ...(could be played in USA)

Napoleon

Came here to say that Italy could beat Argentina in a battle of pathetic fascist wannabees.

Fuck that ref. 

I've normally got a slight bias towards Brazil when these two teams play but I thought the second half was particularly bad with the Argentinians slowing play with fouls and delays with no repercussions. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

3B89E7A6-554D-4E11-A0E2-8CF035A398EE.jpeg

I'll have to try that. I drank a bunch of Kalimotxo one time with a family friend in Costa Rica. Weird combo but not the worst thing ever. Great way to ensure a ripping hangover. 

Edited by ztejas

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'll have to try that. I drank a bunch of Kalimotxo one time with a family friend in Costa Rica. Weird combo but not the worst thing ever. Great way to ensure a ripping hangover. 

13 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ldogg, the only Argentine I will associate with (and it’s REALLY hard for me to even do that), said that drink is nasty as fuck. So I am conflicted on whether to try or not.

Regardless, Argentina, vai tomar no cu.

Fernet is awful!

Most Argentines are introduced to it via their Italian grandfather (as the tales go) when they had an upset stomach and were given a shot of Fernet to help with digestion. (Considering the typical Argentine diet, digestive issues are not a surprise.)

I used to say that Fernet tasted like Motor Oil, but someone else had a better description:

If you have ever absent-mindedly chewed on the end of a Bic ballpoint pen and the ink started to flow and end up in your mouth? Then you know what Fernet tastes like. Mixing it with Coca-Cola (which also used to be done with really low end red wine) makes it tolerable. It is a digestive from Italy, but so much is consumed in Argentina (about 80% of all Fernet consumed around the world) that the Fernet Branca sold in Argentina is distilled in Argentina.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Fernet is awful!

Most Argentines are introduced to it via their Italian grandfather (as the tales go) when they had an upset stomach and were given a shot of Fernet to help with digestion. (Considering the typical Argentine diet, digestive issues are not a surprise.)

I used to say that Fernet tasted like Motor Oil, but someone else had a better description:

If you have ever absent-mindedly chewed on the end of a Bic ballpoint pen and the ink started to flow and end up in your mouth? Then you know what Fernet tastes like. Mixing it with Coca-Cola (which also used to be done with really low end red wine) makes it tolerable. It is a digestive from Italy, but so much is consumed in Argentina (about 80% of all Fernet consumed around the world) that the Fernet Branca sold in Argentina is distilled in Argentina.

Maybe I'll stick to the Kalimotxo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Fernet is awful!

Gawd that shit is turrible. A huge part of traveling for me is the culture of the places I visit, and food/drink being a big part of culture, I'm usually diving in to whatever the locals enjoy. 

I really liked Argentina and would love to return... but I tried that shit and was damn! What the hell are you thinking? and it was back to the malbecs for me. One of the worst "national" drinks I've ever had that didn't have sneks in the bottle.

• Haha 2

Just now, WBT said:

That's not the national drink.

Sharing_yerba_mate_480x480.jpg?v=1584026

National "cocktail".

#1 Alcoholic Beverage = Wine

#1 Cocktail = Fernet y Cola

#1 Drink = Yerba Mate

But in Argentina, they sell the loose Yerba Mate in containers of 250g, 500g, 1L. In Uruguay they sell the stuff in containers of 1L or 5L... which looks like a bag of charcoal.

In Argetina a group gets together and someone brings a termo of hot water and a setup with yerba and a mate and they all share it and give each other Swine Flu, herpes, and COVID. In Uruguay a group gets together in the park and each person brings their own termo, yerba, and mate. Uruguayans drink it so much that they can't wait for the mate to come back around to them, they need to constantly sip the shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Napoleon said:

National "cocktail".

#1 Alcoholic Beverage = Wine

#1 Cocktail = Fernet y Cola

#1 Drink = Yerba Mate

But in Argentina, they sell the loose Yerba Mate in containers of 250g, 500g, 1L. In Uruguay they sell the stuff in containers of 1L or 5L... which looks like a bag of charcoal.

In Argetina a group gets together and someone brings a termo of hot water and a setup with yerba and a mate and they all share it and give each other Swine Flu, herpes, and COVID. In Uruguay a group gets together in the park and each person brings their own termo, yerba, and mate. Uruguayans drink it so much that they can't wait for the mate to come back around to them, they need to constantly sip the shit.

This is true about the Uruguayans. They even have developed a technique for carrying their thermos and mate while they go about their business and do things such as riding a bus.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Like I was saying, it’s the drink of the southern cone, regardless of nationality.

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So is mate some sort of herbal tea using an indigenous plant (not unlike guarana in Brazil)?

It’s chopped up caffeinated leaves of some random bush that the Guaraní tribe discovered (then cultivated?) in the greater Iguazu/Iguaçu Falls region of South America that has been incorporated into the culture of Uruguay🧉, Paraguay🧉, Argentina🧉, and the southern part of Brazil🧉

You had to boil your water so that it was safe to drink for centuries, so might as well stew some bitter leaves to slurp out the caffeine as we watch livestock in the brutal summer heat / rain season / whenever…

But the consumption by the Uruguayos . . .

🧉🧉🧉🧉 👀

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2