COPA AMERICA 2021 ...(could be played in USA)

Napoleon

Just now, Patricio Swayze said:

Rio they still pronounce it that way the majority of time. I have had a black belt yell it at me enough to know.

I thought Cariocas rolled their RRs like the Portuguese? The Paulistas and Baianos I knew all said it with a hard H, though.

And Azores ... fuck me, I could never understand what those island fuckers were trying to say.

I thought Cariocas rolled their RRs like the Portuguese? The Paulistas and Baianos I knew all said it with a hard H, though.
And Azores ... fuck me, I could never understand what those island fuckers were trying to say.

Some Brazilians make a throaty sound for R’s. Only people in my experience rolling R’s have been old Italians in Brazil.

Fuck Portugal. They speak all fucked up. I mean, do we care how some motherfucker from London speaks? Should be called American.
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Also, “porra” is pronounced po-ha.

My theory on the "R" & "rr" = "h" in English is...

That unlike the Spanish, the Portuguese rolled their Rs in their throat, like the French.

...until one day someone important, or a wave of less enthusiastic people, started just rolling it in their throat but weren't able to pronounce the trill sound and no one cared.

After taking French I four different times between high school, UT, & community college, I finally switched over to Spanish and was frustrated that I could make the rolled "R" with my throat from French, but couldn't do it with my tongue like in Spanish. The teacher seemed to not care, it was just the sound that was correct. And after a few couple of trips to Brazil, including one after living in Argentina for a couple of years, I kind of developed the theory of evolution of the "R"/"rr".

It's kind of like the "F" from Latin to the "H" in Spanish... "fierro" => "hierro" ... and then ultimately the Spanish got lazy and just stopped pronouncing the "H" altogether. (I read a short explanation about the Latin F => Spanish H after I'd developed my theory on the Portuguese R/rr, but it reinforced my thinking that this pronunciation evolved the way I imaged. 

My Portuguese is influenced by the interior of São Paulo. My grandmother was from there. I lived there. My wife is from there. 90% of the time I pronounce rr as an English “h”. Cariocas make fun of the way I say “R” as do they for all people from the state of São Paulo.

I guess Hefeweizen isn’t watching the Copa as he could weigh in. While I have some Brazilian blood and lived there, he is an actual Brazilian. Well a carioca, so kind of a dick, but I like home nonetheless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Some Brazilians make a throaty sound for R’s. Only people in my experience rolling R’s have been old Italians in Brazil.

Fuck Portugal. They speak all fucked up. I mean, do we care how some motherfucker from London speaks? Should be called American. emoji6.png

They always teased me for speaking Portuguese como um carioca.

Or when I would call my Baiano friend and his mom would answer, I'd say, "Quero falar com Pedro." She'd go and tell him that the Spaniard was on the phone.

I did my best, damnit, but could never get the tone right. Like, if "obrigado" were a Spanish word, they'd say it, "o-bri-GA-do," but brasileiros really accent their syllables, and then turn those ending O's into U's, so "obrigado" becomes "o-bri-GAAH-du."

Probably not explaining it well. Anyway, my Portuguese sucks and it is known.

• Like 1

They always teased me for speaking Portuguese como um carioca.
Or when I would call my Baiano friend and his mom would answer, I'd say, "Quero falar com Pedro." She'd go and tell him that the Spaniard was on the phone.
I did my best, damnit, but could never get the tone right. Like, if "obrigado" were a Spanish word, they'd say it, "o-bri-GA-do," but brasileiros really accent their syllables, and then turn those ending O's into U's, so "obrigado" becomes "o-bri-GAAH-du."
Probably not explaining it well. Anyway, my Portuguese sucks and it is known.

Put simply, it’s not obrigadô.

A friend of mine from my 6th day in Buenos Aires, March 26th, 2007, is from Ecuador, so I was happy to see them tie it up for his sake.

And for the Maraton sports apparel brand that gets the pick of any national team kit in CONMEBOL that they want...

...as long as the team is shit.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 8:35 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

My Portuguese is influenced by the interior of São Paulo. My grandmother was from there. I lived there. My wife is from there. 90% of the time I pronounce rr as an English “h”. Cariocas make fun of the way I say “R” as do they for all people from the state of São Paulo.

I guess Hefeweizen isn’t watching the Copa as he could weigh in. While I have some Brazilian blood and lived there, he is an actual Brazilian. Well a carioca, so kind of a dick, but I like home nonetheless.

Filho da puta.  I should have known.  Porra sounds like Poe-ha but the h is hard.  That’s Carioca.  Vai tomar no cu is well wishing.

I watched as much as I could of that game last night against Estupidao and the Ecuador side.  Outside of their defenders and Paqueta that was a shit eleven Brazil ran out.  

And yeah paulista sounds all retarded and shit.

And fuck Argentina.  Scheiss argies.

Edited by Hefeweizen
Fuck you
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Filho da puta.  I should have known.  Porra sounds like Poe-ha but the h is hard.  That’s Carioca.  Vai tomar no cu is well wishing.

I watched as much as I could of that game last night against Estupidao and the Ecuador side.  Outside of their defenders and Paqueta that was a shit eleven Brazil ran out.  

And yeah paulista sounds all retarded and shit.

And fuck Argentina.  Scheiss argies.

Bem-vindo mano! Yeah, I don’t hear any difference in the pronunciation of porra between cariocas, paulistas/paulistanos or people from Belo. Actually, come to think of it, I don’t think I ever heard my grandmother say the word, but in high school I sure did here Max Cavalera from Sepultura say it.

And yes, fuck Argentina.

Well my Half-Costa Rican, Quarter-Iberian, Quarter-Mexican cousin (he's the closest thing I have to little brother)and his half-Colombian/half-Venezuelan wife just adopted a Colombian baby today.  So yes, I will be cheering for Colombia and posting all kinds of horribly offensive nationality slurs about other Copa teams.  the baby deserves to start out life in the United States without knowing the offensive odor and general stupidity of people from...well, you know...whoever it is they're playing on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Messi ain't human 

He’s only two behind Pelé for the all-time international goal total by a South American…

…and the. Neymar is going to fly by both of them and leave them in his dust. (He’s so annoying.)

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Well my Half-Costa Rican, Quarter-Iberian, Quarter-Mexican cousin (he's the closest thing I have to little brother)and his half-Colombian/half-Venezuelan wife just adopted a Colombian baby today.  So yes, I will be cheering for Colombia and posting all kinds of horribly offensive nationality slurs about other Copa teams.  the baby deserves to start out life in the United States without knowing the offensive odor and general stupidity of people from...well, you know...whoever it is they're playing on Saturday.

So you are the proud uncle of a coke dealer.  Congratulations

13 hours ago, Napoleon said:

He’s only two behind Pelé for the all-time international goal total by a South American…

…and the. Neymar is going to fly by both of them and leave them in his dust. (He’s so annoying.)

I fucking HATE Neymar so much. He's not even in the same stratosphere as Messi and Pelè. Fuck Neymar. He's tier 2 behind Mbappé, Ronaldo, hell, even Pogba. I just hate that 115lb diving ass bitch. But he's kinda fun to watch. I hate myself sometimes 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

So many classic kits in CONMEBOL, but those Paraguayan unis are tops for me.

Wish that goal had been as pretty.

I like Peru's. Especially because the sash is also on the back.

I haz sad that Maraton is their kit maker. Paraguay, which doesn't have as much buying power, nor a kit that is nearly as internationally recognized as Peru's, has Puma as their kit sponsor.

Por fa-fucking-vor!

3 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yeah that was pathetic too but he only tried to fight the ref after he was sent off

There needs to be VAR for this shit. 

Flop... Yellow is rescinded and assessed to the flopper. If one team played a man down for 5 minutes before it was overturned, then the other team has to play a man down for 5 minutes.