2022 Class Predictions

With visits opening up next week, now is as good a time as any to take wildly inaccurate stabs at the final class. Let's keep them contained so we can easily access some laughs, mid-season.

I'm going to stick to 25 + a kicker, because who the hell knows anymore. 

Stars Composite
QB    
Maalik Murphy 4 0.9676
Tevin Carter 3 0.8795
RB    
Jaydon Blue 4 0.9788
DeAnthony Gatson 3 0.8709
WR    
Evan Stewart 5 0.9842
Brenen Thompson 4 0.9628
Armani Winfield 4 0.9544
CJ Williams 4 0.9685
TE    
Arlis Boardingham 3 0.881
OL    
Kelvin Banks 5 0.9857
Devon Campbell 5 0.9939
Connor Robertson 3 0.8739
Cam Williams 4 0.8998
DL    
Justice Finkley 4 0.9476
Derrick Brown 4 0.8993
Zac Swanson 4 0.8904
KJ Miles 4 0.8925
Anthony Jones 3 0.8734
LB    
Trevell Johnson 3 0.8784
Robby Snelling 4 0.9
DB    
Bryan Allen 4 0.9621
Bryce Anderson 4 0.9803
Terrance Brooks 4 0.9635
Jacoby Mathews 5 0.9853
Austin Jordan 4 0.922
K    
Blake Ford    
  Average 0.9318

Calculator: 308.48, good for 3rd in 2021

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

With visits opening up next week, now is as good a time as any to take wildly inaccurate stabs at the final class. Let's keep them contained so we can easily access some laughs, mid-season.

Finkley, Jordan and especially Matthews feel like huge swings. Love to see it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wrote this on the 2022 thread on 2/19/21, so let's take a quick glimpse of how even something like that is holding up 3 months later:

I like this kind of exercise, so I'll play. 

QB 2 - Murphy and high floor guy in Texas that is being recruited by ULaLa, UTSA, Troy and the like. 

TB 2 - Blue and Miller

WR 4 - Winfield, Stewart, Thompson, Williams

TE 1 - a rando find from Texas

OT 2 - Neto, Banks

OT/OG 1 - Ernest Greene

OG 1 - Campbell

OG/C 1 - Robertson

DT 2 - Ross, Lucas

DE 2 - Swanson, Cooper

LB 3 - Johnson, Tuihalamaka, Lewis

CB 3 - Guilbeau, Harris, late find guy

S 3 - Anderson, Allen, Hullaby

That's 27. I'm sure if it is all still amazeballs recruiting because Texas is suddenly winning 10+ the list improves and another WR is added. Pretty sure this would be a top 5-6 class. 

Normally when I go back later and find these predictions, they're like 60-70% right unless all hell broke loose and there's regime change.

So, some of it looks great and some of it is laughable trash.

QB 1 - I'm hearing super recent stuff that makes me think maybe Murphy is the only guy because they're done with Ewers and going on all in, and receiving favorable feedback from, Camp Manning. So I'm sticking Murphy but only one take.

TB 2 - I don't expect Blue to sign with Texas. His bullshit caught the staff by surprise and he's got new issues coming to light. I'm going with Miller and Jones, in the end. 

WR 4 - I'm sticking with the prior 4 I listed. The current OU commit from DFW could still flip and he might be a 5th or be the better 4th take over Williams.

TE 1 - looks like a "rando from Texas" should have been a "rando from somewhere". I think they're going to land the guy from Michigan. 

OT 2 - Neto, Banks, I'll stick with them.

OG 2 - merging "OT/OG" into OG and sticking with Greene and Campbell. Greene is a pretty stretchy prediction, but fuck it.

OC/Swing 1 - I still think Texas signs 5 OLs. I think this guy might end up being Hutson, so switching that from Robertson.

DT 2 - they like what they've got here, so I don't see them trying to add more than 2. I got Ross right. Seems like there isn't much interest or traction with Lucas unless I missed an update. Fine, give me Beldsoe in an upset. Apparently @Ricky's one-hitter is not sanguine on Texas landing Ross for some reason, but I'll keep him. 

Edge or another DT that one of you dipshits wants to get pedantic with me on because I misclassified a potential swing or spin down candidate 3 - Got Swanson. Cooper seems like nothing but a fantasy at this point. Haven't read an update on him in awhile. Give me Derrick Brown in an upset. I'll take Finkley as the other guy, even though I can't believe I'm typing that.

LB 3 - Johnson, Cheeks, rando find. Tuihalamaka was close to surprising some people in Feb but there's since been some off the field stuff that makes it a more colorful recruitment and not Texas is going to make a big push. 

CB 2 - Guilbeau, Harris. I'm not sure they take a 3rd unless they also land Brooks.

S 3 - Got Allen right. Anderson I think is good shot. Obviously Hullaby went sideways. Maybe they make a big push on Jordan if they're bringing him in to visit?

K 1 - Ford. 

That's 27. Given the quality that will be available in the portal, this count is fundamentally wrong. I suspect they'll sign 21-22 guys and leave 4-6 slots open for transfers. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'd be thrilled with that class

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I wrote this on the 2022 thread on 2/19/21, so let's take a quick glimpse of how even something like that is holding up 3 months later:

So, some of it looks great and some of it is laughable trash.

QB 1 - I'm hearing super recent stuff that makes me think maybe Murphy is the only guy because they're done with Ewers and going on all in, and receiving favorable feedback from, Camp Manning. So I'm sticking Murphy but only one take.

TB 2 - I don't expect Blue to sign with Texas. His bullshit caught the staff by surprise and he's got new issues coming to light. I'm going with Miller and Jones, in the end. 

WR 4 - I'm sticking with the prior 4 I listed. The current OU commit from DFW could still flip and he might be a 5th or be the better 4th take over Williams.

TE 1 - looks like a "rando from Texas" should have been a "rando from somewhere". I think they're going to land the guy from Michigan. 

OG 2 - merging "OT/OG" into OG and sticking with Greene and Campbell. Greene is a pretty stretchy prediction, but fuck it.

OC/Swing 1 - I still think Texas signs 5 OLs. I think this guy might end up being Hutson, so switching that from Robertson.

DT 2 - they like what they've got here, so I don't see them trying to add more than 2. I got Ross right. Seems like there isn't much interest or traction with Lucas unless I missed an update. Fine, give me Beldsoe in an upset. Apparently @Ricky's one-hitter is not sanguine on Texas landing Ross for some reason, but I'll keep him. 

Edge or another DT that one of you dipshits wants to get pedantic with me on because I misclassified a potential swing or spin down candidate 3 - Got Swanson. Cooper seems like nothing but a fantasy at this point. Haven't read an update on him in awhile. Give me Derrick Brown in an upset. I'll take Finkley as the other guy, even though I can't believe I'm typing that.

LB 3 - Johnson, Cheeks, rando find. Tuihalamaka was close to surprising some people in Feb but there's since been some off the field stuff that makes it a more colorful recruitment and not Texas is going to make a big push. 

CB 2 - Guilbeau, Harris. I'm not sure they take a 3rd unless they also land Brooks.

S 3 - Got Allen right. Anderson I think is good shot. Obviously Hullaby went sideways. Maybe they make a big push on Jordan if they're bringing him in to visit?

K 1 - Ford. 

That's 27. Given the quality that will be available in the portal, this count is fundamentally wrong. I suspect they'll sign 21-22 guys and leave 4-6 slots open for transfers. 

The rando LB sounds like it'll be Patton from Tenaha.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Tuihalamaka was close to surprising some people in Feb but there's since been some off the field stuff that makes it a more colorful recruitment and not Texas is going to make a big push. 

I watched his game against Maalik's Serra team and he was a non factor.  He was their best punter, but for a big time D-1 linebacker prospect he did not stand out.  Ephesians Prysock was a stud.  

I like this kind of exercise, so I'll play. 
QB 2 - Murphy and high floor guy in Texas that is being recruited by ULaLa, UTSA, Troy and the like. 
TB 2 - Blue and Miller
WR 4 - Winfield, Stewart, Thompson, Williams
TE 1 - a rando find from Texas
OT 2 - Neto, Banks
OT/OG 1 - Ernest Greene
OG 1 - Campbell
OG/C 1 - Robertson
DT 2 - Ross, Lucas
DE 2 - Swanson, Cooper
LB 3 - Johnson, Tuihalamaka, Lewis
CB 3 - Guilbeau, Harris, late find guy
S 3 - Anderson, Allen, Hullaby
That's 27. I'm sure if it is all still amazeballs recruiting because Texas is suddenly winning 10+ the list improves and another WR is added. Pretty sure this would be a top 5-6 class. 
Normally when I go back later and find these predictions, they're like 60-70% right unless all hell broke loose and there's regime changSo, some of it looks great and some of it is laughable trash.
DT 2 - they like what they've got here, so I don't see them trying to add more than 2. I got Ross right. Seems like there isn't much interest or traction with Lucas unless I missed an update. Fine, give me Beldsoe in an upset. Apparently [mention=4552]Ricky's one-hitter[/mention] is not sanguine on Texas landing Ross for some reason, but I'll keep him. 
K 1 - Ford. 

Good stuff. Hope you’re right on the TE. I like him more than Boardingham, though with his athleticism I would still want him in the class. Maybe edge. Surprised Neto showed up again.
I also think we take 2 qbs. They can portal every position but qb, and I have to assume that Lourd and Wright will portal out to start at some point.

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Good stuff. Hope you’re right on the TE. I like him more than Boardingham, though with his athleticism I would still want him in the class. Maybe edge. Surprised Neto showed up again.
I also think we take 2 qbs. They can portal every position but qb, and I have to assume that Lourd and Wright will portal out to start at some point.

he's gonna be the savior that forces Manning to Portal

Your predicted 2022 class would be the second highest rated recruiting class TEXAS has ever had since 1999 when they started the ratings star system.  Higher ranked than the #1 Nationally ranked Vince Young class of 2002 (.9104).  And 2nd only to the #2 Nationally ranked Jackson Jeffcoat class of 2010 which is my pick for the most disappointing TEXAS class of ALL Time.

I have been following TEXAS Longhorn football recruiting for a very long while, way before sure., or Gotch Yarbourgh, or the fax machine.  Your 2022 predicted class would rival both the '80 class (which had 16 NFL draft choices in 1984), and may be even the '67 Woster Bunch, which I believe is the best class (30-1-2) that ever stepped foot on the Forty.

I am hoping you turn out to be right.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

@UncleBuck in shambles!!!

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm not sure Wright portals out of the program. He was a take precisely because the kind of guy that values being at Texas, specifically, and will stick around. That has its own value these days. It's going to be a few years before he's going to have an opportunity to portal for playing time, and by that point he may find himself in position of being the elder QB2 one play away from being the starter at Texas.

Also he was a take because Tom Herman sucks and fucked up Milroe.

Edited by gmr548

’67 Worster Bunch to compare with 2022 predicted class.

Steve Worster is the first "National" recruit in college football history.  13 of the state’s top 22 football recruits signed with Texas in 1967, including 3 of the 4 best backs. The only two out-of-state recruits were Bobby Mitchell and Fred Steinmark, both from Wheatridge, CO.  The Worster bunch would earn 3 SWC championships, two national championships, and win 30 games in a row from 1968-70. 

1.        Phillips, Eddie - QB

2.         Worster, Steve - FB

3.         Collins, Terry - FB

4.         Callison, Bobby - FB

5.         Dale, Billy - TB

6.         Robichau, Paul - HB

7.        Robinson, Johnny - HB

8.         Speyrer, Charles - OE

9.         Wuensch, Bobby - OT

10.    Stout, Randy - OT

11.     Palmer, Scott - OT

12.     Mitchell, Bobby - OG

13.     Dean, Mike - OG

14.     Braband, Baxter - OG

15.     Achilles, Jim - OC

16.     Zapalac, Bill - DE

17.    Atessis, Bill - DE

18.   Ploetz, Greg - DT

19.   Henderson, Scott - LB

20.     Cormier, Jay - LB

21.    Richardson, David - LB

22.     Lester, Danny - DB

23.     Steinmark, Fred - S

24.     Feller, Happy - K

I’m sure I’ve missed someone, so please correct the list because I think there were thirty recruits total.

Edited by Speedway
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I'm not sure Wright portals out of the program. He was a take precisely because the kind of guy that values being at Texas, specifically, and will stick around. That has its own value these days. It's going to be a few years before he's going to have an opportunity to portal for playing time, and by that point he may find himself in position of being the elder QB2 one play away from being the starter at Texas.

Also he was a take because Tom Herman sucks and fucked up Milroe.

Sark has a great story to tell for keeping these guys around 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Ugh. Idiots!

(ran out of edit time) But seriously, I went stalker mode on the kid two days back and dove into his twitter likes/favs. The kid likes just as many Longhorns tweets as Fuckeye, and it's not like he's going around liking/fav'ing shit from every school. It was just a reminder that the kid genuinely loves Texas, so hopefully that's enough to keep him in distance.... but if ctj's interpretation of the situation is correct, and the staff is "done" with him, then: A. That's stupid; B. Better the fuck land Manning.

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

(ran out of edit time) But seriously, I went stalker mode on the kid two days back and dove into his twitter likes/favs. The kid likes just as many Longhorns tweets as Fuckeye, and it's not like he's going around liking/fav'ing shit from every school. It was just a reminder that the kid genuinely loves Texas, so hopefully that's enough to keep him in distance.... but if ctj's interpretation of the situation is correct, and the staff is "done" with him, then: A. That's stupid; B. Better the fuck land Manning.

African American Reaction GIF

Spoiler
Total: 309.87 pts

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take a shot where things stand right now.

QB - Murphy

RB - Blue , Gatson 

WR - Winfield, Stewart, Thompson

TE - Boardingham

OL - Banks, Neto, Hutson, Campbell, Williams

DL/SDE/Edge - Ross, Swanson, Brown, Finkley, and I'll take a swing at Bryant.

LB - Patton, Johnson, Cheeks

CB/S - Guilbeau, Harris, Allen, Anderson.

That's 24 so I'll say a Kicker gets added and maybe Long Snapper.  Could see another DB.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

47 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I'll take a shot where things stand right now.

QB - Murphy

RB - Blue , Gatson 

WR - Winfield, Stewart, Thompson

TE - Boardingham

OL - Banks, Neto, Hutson, Campbell, Williams

DL/SDE/Edge - Ross, Swanson, Brown, Finkley, and I'll take a swing at Bryant.

LB - Patton, Johnson, Cheeks

CB/S - Guilbeau, Harris, Allen, Anderson.

That's 24 so I'll say a Kicker gets added and maybe Long Snapper.  Could see another DB.

I’d say Citizen instead of Gatson and another WR and OL

• 11 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 4:28 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Good for 53% - on to '23

On 5/26/2021 at 8:24 PM, Speedway said:

Your predicted 2022 class would be the second highest rated recruiting class TEXAS has ever had since 1999 when they started the ratings star system.  Higher ranked than the #1 Nationally ranked Vince Young class of 2002 (.9104).  And 2nd only to the #2 Nationally ranked Jackson Jeffcoat class of 2010 which is my pick for the most disappointing TEXAS class of ALL Time.

Ended up at .9101

• Hook 'Em 1

Not to split hairs but 2022 ended up .9100 (25.4813/28=.9100)

2002 was .9104 but there were at least 11 that never really saw the field.

If you include the seven (so far) transfers (using HS rating, not T rating) 2022 is .8926

Neyor, Milton, and Dorsey were not rated very high coming out of HS.

There were 27 in the 2002 class.  2022 has 28 plus 7 transfers (may be more)

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Lazy's gonna lazy

Screenshot-2022-05-31-144819.png

I'm don't remember exactly, but the average of the 308.xx group of recruits was something like .93xx

Is .02xx difference a large number? I don't know. I would guess that it is a significant difference.