Political Discussion in Daily Texan

immamac

1 minute ago, bernorange said:

We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as sort-of-executive officer for the week.  But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting by a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs but by a two thirds majority, in the case of more major--

So basically, whoever is holding the conch gets to make the rules?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Since when does rep total equate to rep strength? Thought that was only on TOS

It doesn't. There are lots of examples of people with 3k+ rep getting crowd sourced in a matter of hours. Stop fucking whining about a non-existent barrier to ban fucktards.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

So basically, whoever is holding the conch gets to make the rules?

Grabbing the conch is frowned upon, no?

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

@immamac

@hayden_horn

Please just delete this thread. If the SOP for this site is to allow people to torpedo every thread they don't like so it gets moved to the CR and you allow that, that's fine. It's your site. But I don't want my threads in that fuckpit.

i'd just like to highlight perhaps the greatest DT snowflake blowup in DT history and frankly, thank @Cheeseweasel for leaving his shit stained mark on this inglorious corner of the web.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i'd just like to highlight perhaps the greatest DT snowflake blowup in DT history and frankly, thank @Cheeseweasel for leaving his shit stained mark on this inglorious corner of the web.

DT snowflakes whine about being fatwa’d while their comrade cheeseweasel negs anyone who disagrees with him and old posts too.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 2

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

No wonder Al Gore left Tipper.  

The Gores got divorced?  I had no idea.  Must be why Al looks so much younger than 73.  

NoCR/ but I wouldn't fuck Tipper Gore with Amy Coney Barrett's dick.  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The Gores got divorced?  I had no idea.  Must be why Al looks so much younger than 73.  

NoCR/ but I wouldn't fuck Tipper Gore with Amy Coney Barrett's dick.  

So much younger than 73?!  Wtf

/ no cr 

Edited by Lhorn

Why would anyone have a problem with their political discussions being moved to the CR? I don't spend any time in there, but I was told it's actually a place with fair conversations based in fact and merit that follows very closely to the mix of Texas Politics. Not a cesspool, hellhole, shit show, echo chamber, circle jerk, cabal, etc. Not sure where some of y'all are getting that.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, mdmost said:

immamac does have a weird habit of at times really not caring about politics being posted in DT and then other times really aggressively going after any politics being posted in DT. 

From listening to the podcasts, I’m under the assumption that he’s drunk 20 hours a day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

To be fair, being drunk 20 hours per day is much more difficult than being drunk 24 hours per day.  For 20 hours, you actually have to time out your drinking to bring yourself into that 4-hour sobriety window.  Threading that needle can't be easy.  Especially for a drunk person...

34 minutes ago, mdmost said:

immamac does have a weird habit of at times really not caring about politics being posted in DT and then other times really aggressively going after any politics being posted in DT. 

it ebbs and flows. i moved the covid thread because i kept getting political reports. then i've had to clean up a couple other dt threads for political posts. it's spiked recently, and i reckon seeing the reports come in for him is as irritating as it is for me. i'd rather not spend ten minutes editing posts that are political in the dt. it's always the same folks.

i don't see why it's so difficult to talk about politics things on the political board. 

44 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's called being busy and reaching a breaking point of annoyance. It doesn't bother me to have political discussion personally in thread, but it bothers the shit out of a lot of people who just want to come and talk about something without political involvement. There is a board specifically for that, and it's pissing me off that people were overrunning DT with a "different kind of politics" because "they don't like the people that post in the politics board" it's fucking stupid. Go talk politics in the thunderdome. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

Thing is, does this mean that all threads about criminal events & people will have to be posted in the CR?

Because as you know, Mark Twain got it right....

“It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.”
- Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

Edited by Armybrat

there are 2 constitutional carry threads, 1 that is magically sans politics and the other where people are talkign politics in general. I participated in both from a very apolitical angle and from a very political angle. It's possible to have the same topic span both boards. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it ebbs and flows. i moved the covid thread because i kept getting political reports. then i've had to clean up a couple other dt threads for political posts. it's spiked recently, and i reckon seeing the reports come in for him is as irritating as it is for me. i'd rather not spend ten minutes editing posts that are political in the dt. it's always the same folks.

i don't see why it's so difficult to talk about politics things on the political board. 

This may be skirting some line, but can we identify these folks? If only to highlight to them their bad behavior? 

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Cool. So 3-4 posters that never leave the CR effectively rule the entire political discussion on the site.  Each has enough rep to fatwa anyone outside of the top 10 rep holders.  

You seem like a dumbass who doesn't understand how something works and is spreading fear based on misinformation.

Sound familiar?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's called being busy and reaching a breaking point of annoyance. It doesn't bother me to have political discussion personally in thread, but it bothers the shit out of a lot of people who just want to come and talk about something without political involvement. There is a board specifically for that, and it's pissing me off that people were overrunning DT with a "different kind of politics" because "they don't like the people that post in the politics board" it's fucking stupid. Go talk politics in the thunderdome. 

Oh, I get you're busy. You just find weird moments to explode on people and other times you seem to not give much of a care. Perhaps in addition to moving threads, you move those people who constantly violate the rules to where they can only post in CR? If someone is a perpetual violator of bringing any politics into these threads, move them to the CR and keep them there. The problem you'll find is each side thinks the other side is the only one bringing politics into DT and needs to go to the CR. 

And as I've said multiple times, remove rep from the CR and ban anyone who goes on neg sprees outside of CR. You want people to talk politics only in CR, make rep bombing impossible. People don't discuss anything, they drive by and neg rep things they disagree with. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Well you see if you only want to hear your own politics you don’t go to places where you are challenged to defend them.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well, you would actually be forced to defend your position. and when you weren't able to do so because you have less than a dozen functioning brain cells, you'd get called out for it.

and that just sucks, man.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's always the same folks.

Y'all have put up with so much bullshit from the same few dipshits repeatedly ruining it and adding tons of extra work for you.

Start sending them to Douchebag Central for a few months, or at least make modifications to their title/username. Make the content of every post show up as "This poster is a selfish fucking moron that can't keep politics out of the DT". 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

I'm fed up with this bullshit. This forum is for news that has no ties to anything political.

That means if you want to discuss policy, how laws work, bitch about laws, bitch about whatever fucking bullshit that has to do with politicians, talk about who is elected, anything related to POLITICS will be aggressively moved to the POLITICS section of the board called CLOAK ROOM. I don't fucking care if you think there is a "cabal" or if you will "get negged" - get the fuck over it. Stop politicizing everything and just post the news, make fun of shit that happens, get into serious conversations about what it potentially means to you or those around you.  DO NOT TALK ABOUT YOUR FUCKING POLITICAL FEELINGS OR WHAT THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD DO TO FIX IT.

Anything that has more than 5 posts on a page that are political is just going to get moved to the CR. 

Geez, you sound like Mike Dukakis with all this regulation.