Political Discussion in Daily Texan

immamac

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m not going to say I’m loved over in the CR but I think most on here respect that I don’t shit post, I’m not trying to be a bad person etc etc. a few non conservatives might even sort of like some of my posting a little bit. I also loathed Trump. All that said I’d get plenty of responses just absolutely beyond vicious that IRL would never get said, called worse than hitler, a cunt more times than I can count and a bunch of other horrifying stuff. What rational person that likes life wants to subject themselves to that so they can hang out and see something Thayer @Washpark or @Bozo_Casanova have to say just because he finds their perspective thoughtful from a perspective he doesn’t usually see. And then the dumbest amongst that group engage in anklebiting throughout the rest of the site. 

Troof. Hell, I am far away from being a commie, but damn I can't hate @bad_teammate. He is an ideologue that I respect in some ways. I even agree with him on some points. Some name calling is kinda the game in online forums, but damn does it wear you down. Probably good to give yourself a day out of surly.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

sounds exactly like the CR

Not really.  I provided an explanation for why people might feel that way about an extremely polarizing figure. 

The CR response you are looking for would have been "he fucking sucked because he supported whoever and I'm glad he's dead!"

Unless you just don't like people dancing on other people's graves. I can respect that.

However, if it's just a case of you thinking it's in poor taste to shit on somebody after they die, well when Bob Stoops or Barry Switzer dies, I suggest you take a break from whatever form Surly has evolved into at that time.  Because there's going to be a shitload of us planning road trips that somehow manage to stop at a Taco Bell every hour or two on the way to wherever he's going to be buried.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Man, some of yall seem to forget the site you are on and it's roots in crass discourse. I didn't realize so many of you all were so sensitive and fragile to the point of needing your own space to not feel challenged in your views. Fucking welcome to life. There are those who will respond in ways that don't feel right, but I'm sure you get that in the real world too. In some ways I get it, the old CR was a cesspool of self righteous conservatives with minimal liberals able to get their points across. But now with Trump, the whole thing has been flipped because the right doesn't have a position to hold onto anymore, and that's tough to justify when challenged. 

In summation, you snowflakes can go fuck your feelings in your safe space or pull yourself up by your bootstraps and try to strengthen your position thru open, unfiltered discourse. 

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I could start a thread in the football forum about how VY is overrated and be fairly confident a moderator won't get involved in any capacity.  There'd be much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but no mod would feel compelled to white-knight because a lot of football board posters react negatively. 

It doesn't work that way in CR.  Many moderation decisions seem to focus on maintaining a sort of peaceable divide between CR posters and the rest of the board.

yeah, i don't get this at all, and i'm trying to come at it honestly. 

i've moderated more content here in this forum than i have in the cloak room, either editing posts to delete political content or move political content over. 

so i reckon i would like some examples of unfair moderation involvement in the cloak room, since i'm the moderator that posts there the most. i don't even remember the last time i moderated anything over there. i can't speak for @blacklab or @immamac, but i think they prefer to leave that forum pretty much entirely to itself.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

Man, some of yall seem to forget the site you are on and it's roots in crass discourse. I didn't realize so many of you all were so sensitive and fragile to the point of needing your own space to not feel challenged in your views. Fucking welcome to life. There are those who will respond in ways that don't feel right, but I'm sure you get that in the real world too. In some ways I get it, the old CR was a cesspool of self righteous conservatives with minimal liberals able to get their points across. But now with Trump, the whole thing has been flipped because the right doesn't have a position to hold onto anymore, and that's tough to justify when challenged. 

In summation, you snowflakes can go fuck your feelings in your safe space or pull yourself up by your bootstraps and try to strengthen your position thru open, unfiltered discourse. 

No shit. The fucking header before we made the move here was “buncha assholes”. I have a friend who doesn’t post on surly because he got shredded on the recruiting board for posting something that turned out to be bullshit. This is surly. People are assholes. Get the fuck over it and stop getting your feeling hurt by anonymous internet posters.

Honestly I cannot believe there are adults that are so hurt by rep and mean names on a message board that they feel the need to complain. 

Edited by hobbes2702

The idea that you can separate news from politics on an internet message board is insane to me.  I don’t post or read much on DT because if anything outside of the weather is truly newsworthy, it will get posted on CR anyway.  

Nothing on CR ever gets moved to DT but the reverse happens daily because talking about current events with an actual fully formed opinion will be perceived as political, especially by the people that disagree with the opinion.  

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I'm not sure if this was in response to me, but I was just trying to explain how I felt the situation happened and the dynamics at play. It's one thing to have the aggressive and rude interactions and discussions as you said above and get name called or whatever, who cares and yes to be expected with this sites charter and origin, but it's quite another when the CR feature players completely dismiss those of us with conflicting views as trolls because, in their own mind, they are so righteous and correct that nobody could hold a dissenting position and belief and be serious. That's how DT came to be, in it's current state, in my opinion.

That said, my favorite CR posters are all posters who hold almost polar opposite opinions than I do. Bad_teammate is oft-cited as a fan favorite from both sides, but also many other super liberal posters are fun and interesting to read.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The idea that you can separate news from politics on an internet message board is insane to me.  I don’t post or read much on DT because if anything outside of the weather is truly newsworthy, it will get posted on CR anyway.  

Nothing on CR ever gets moved to DT but the reverse happens daily because talking about current events with an actual fully formed opinion will be perceived as political, especially by the people that disagree with the opinion.  

exactly. as much as hugo is a hateful, divisive and intolerant prick, he is right about this.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I'm not sure if this was in response to me, but I was just trying to explain how I felt the situation happened and the dynamics at play. It's one thing to have the aggressive and rude interactions and discussions as you said above and get name called or whatever, who cares and yes to be expected with this sites charter and origin, but it's quite another when the CR feature players completely dismiss those of us with conflicting views as trolls because, in their own mind, they are so righteous and correct that nobody could hold a dissenting position and belief and be serious. That's how DT came to be, in it's current state, in my opinion.

That said, my favorite CR posters are all posters who hold almost polar opposite opinions than I do. Bad_teammate is oft-cited as a fan favorite from both sides, but also many other super liberal posters are fun and interesting to read.

Its in response to all the ones who are so afraid to engage in that thread out of some weird fear of being crowdsourced (which really only happens to those who earn it, which is rare). You have stuck in there no matter what. Kudos to you, seriously. 

Personally, I don't like posting to DT because I don't want to worry about discussing a point of view that might involve some political angle. Id far prefer to discuss topics freely with the understanding there will be some assholes that might respond. So be it, ignore them. I want to have my views and opinions challenged. All. The. Time. Cause that allows me to find truth. You can't do that in some gated capacity for fear of feelings. 

16 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

you're a good example of how the cloak room isn't a bunch of torch wielding lunatics looking to burn every dissenter at the stake. you bring honest opinions.

what i think happens is when someone comes in with inaccurate hot takes, that's when they reap the whirlwind. hell, even workswithseed doesn't get crowdsourced. i don't even remember the last time someone got crowdsourced over there.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

you're a good example of how the cloak room isn't a bunch of torch wielding lunatics looking to burn every dissenter at the stake. you bring honest opinions.

what i think happens is when someone comes in with inaccurate hot takes, that's when they reap the whirlwind. hell, even workswithseed doesn't get crowdsourced. i don't even remember the last time someone got crowdsourced over there.

While I obviously agree with you that I bring honest opinions (that are my own, not my employer, etc. boilerplate/safe harbor legal disclaimer), I disagree that CR doesn't have a fair share of people who still automatically dismiss and make impossible to discuss, with the cheap and lazy "you are a troll" riposte because they can't handle the opinion and/or think it's impossible someone earnestly holds the opinion. I have my anti-fanbase who neg rep everything I post, regardless of content, and go back in time to do so. Not sure what the ultimate goal is and I generally ignore it, but I think it paints a picture of an attempt to silence and remove.

I think Anastasis said it best when he said it seems like a lot of us live in different worlds with respect to our experiences and ideas and interactions in real life and when bringing them to bear on the messageboard, it seems like something is missing.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

In my opinion, the situation in the DT came about because of the CloakRoom culture of "Gas light, Gatekeep and Girl boss".

I think it came about because, as @SmokeyTheBear pointed out, CR flip-flopped from being right-wing in the Obama years, to more left-wing in the Trump years, and so those posters who weren't happy at people dumping on Trump came to DT.  

I saw something similar on a large website that I was a mod on for many years - the political forum being quiet, then 9/11 happens, it leans right, then Iraq and it leans left, then Obama, it leans right, and later on after I left, it flipped left under Trump. We now have a massive industry that is focused on making Americans hate one another, and that stuff pours into homes for hours every evening and it's all over the place online. None of us expected it to reach a point where it would cause relatives and friends to stop speaking to us if we made a joke about a politician or whatever, but here we are.

And lest we forget, Surly is not polite society.  

Most of us are UT football fans, or refugees from other sports sites.  We cut our teeth mocking other schools we don't like, and we are crude (and cruel) as shit when we do it.  We can't go a few pages in the aggy thread without bringing up their sheep fucking, or Jimbo's wife banging the tennis team or whatever.

Shit, I was in Lubbock back in '94, at the season opener against New Mexico, and when their mascot's horse slipped, we saw it slip from where we were sitting, but didn't see the impact of its head and its death.  We just knew it wasn't moving. One of my ex-gf's friends was like "oh, the horse might have hurt its leg and they are keeping it still so it doesn't injure it further".  I think Tech had just tied New Mexico and I made a comment to my ex-gf along the lines of "your mascot's horse knows how the season is going to go".  Then rumors spread through the crowd that the horse was dead, and all of the sudden I'm expecting an ass beating.

But somewhere out there, there are 5 or 6 women, and a couple of men, all in their 40s, who, when they think of that game, they think of that asshole that made a comment about their mascot's horse.  In their minds, that asshole probably made the comment after everybody found out the horse had killed itself, even though the comment was made before.  And for the record, I just looked, and Tech went 6-6 that season.  I don't know where the fuck I was going with this story.

• Hook 'Em 1

Donkey - people thought you were a troll at first because you seemed like a troll. Part of your issue (yes I'm sure you'll flip this back around, but actually maybe consider this as I'm sure if my take is right it would be useful to you)) is that you are arrogant and condescending, but you don't understand that about yourself. So the "lol fuck you" reaction you get from your "ah, do you happen to be young and poor?" confuses you, and people did not understand that you were being earnest and not trolling. People understand your posting style a bit better now. They also don't dismiss your values or views out of hand, they just find them hypocritical and I don't think there's ever been a back and forth where it has gotten deep into that. But you don't come in flaming hot and double flip the bird when it turns on you, and so you don't get crowdsourced. Even folks who do that don't get crowdsourced, generally.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Ha, you called me dumb twice now, and I am very aware of my failings. I'm just some asshole working class dude, who comes off as ignorant/dumb, and needs to correct their damned grammar. I probably would come off better in real life, if not, I'll at least buy ya beer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, workswithseed said:

Ha, you called me dumb twice now, and I am very aware of my failings. I'm just some asshole working class dude, who comes off as ignorant/dumb, and needs to correct their damned grammar. I probably would come off better in real life, if not, I'll at least buy ya beer. 

i wish you could see my face when i read some of your posts. sometimes i'm gobsmacked, but i feel like you are a genuine dude, and i hope you don't take it personally when i call you dumb when you say dumb things. i just wish you'd stop and think and maybe read your posts and think about them before hitting submit, because i think you do have interesting things to say and an interesting world view.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't think the political posts in Daily Texan are as big a problem as the protracted two poster slap fights that go on for pages.  That's what need to banned.  Nobody needs to read 20 post of "you're a moron"  and "fuck you, you're a tard".  Also, quit using tard and regard.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

i wish you could see my face when i read some of your posts. sometimes i'm gobsmacked, but i feel like you are a genuine dude, and i hope you don't take it personally when i call you dumb when you say dumb things. i just wish you'd stop and think and maybe read your posts and think about them before hitting submit, because i think you do have interesting things to say and an interesting world view.

Bro, you don't know how many times I have gone to my college educated fiancee to ask her for her opinion on how my sentences are structured, and if it makes sense to her when she's nearby. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

those posters who weren't happy at people dumping on Trump came to DT.  

this is exactly what happened, and those that left are the whiniest bitches about CR being a shithole. they were perfectly fine slopping in the muck when all the pigs sounded like them. 

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I think Anastasis said it best when he said it seems like a lot of us live in different worlds with respect to our experiences and ideas and interactions in real life and when bringing them to bear on the messageboard, it seems like something is missing.

If there was a football game tomorrow, and all of the Surly Longhorn fans were placed in one section together, we'd all get along and have a fucking blast.  If UT won, we'd all be happy.  If UT lost, everybody would be emptying out their wallets to chip in for a banner, assuming we didn't need bail money.

Put us online, and things can go to shit.  The sad thing is, it should not matter what our backgrounds or experiences or whatever are. I'd even argue it used to not matter.  Like I said, we have a massive industry and a shitload of politicians who are focused on making us hate one another, because that's how they profit or win votes.  We should be better than this, we should be able to acknowledge when some leader makes a shitty decision regardless of the letter next to their name, rather than automatically defending them.

• Hook 'Em 5

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Donkey - people thought you were a troll at first because you seemed like a troll. Part of your issue (yes I'm sure you'll flip this back around, but actually maybe consider this as I'm sure if my take is right it would be useful to you)) is that you are arrogant and condescending, but you don't understand that about yourself. 

I certainly don't view myself in this way, but maybe you are right. I'll try to be a good employee and listen and take your feedback here under advisement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I think it came about because, as @SmokeyTheBear pointed out, CR flip-flopped from being right-wing in the Obama years, to more left-wing in the Trump years, and so those posters who weren't happy at people dumping on Trump came to DT.  

I saw something similar on a large website that I was a mod on for many years - the political forum being quiet, then 9/11 happens, it leans right, then Iraq and it leans left, then Obama, it leans right, and later on after I left, it flipped left under Trump. We now have a massive industry that is focused on making Americans hate one another, and that stuff pours into homes for hours every evening and it's all over the place online. None of us expected it to reach a point where it would cause relatives and friends to stop speaking to us if we made a joke about a politician or whatever, but here we are.

And lest we forget, Surly is not polite society.  

Most of us are UT football fans, or refugees from other sports sites.  We cut our teeth mocking other schools we don't like, and we are crude (and cruel) as shit when we do it.  We can't go a few pages in the aggy thread without bringing up their sheep fucking, or Jimbo's wife banging the tennis team or whatever.

Shit, I was in Lubbock back in '94, at the season opener against New Mexico, and when their mascot's horse slipped, we saw it slip from where we were sitting, but didn't see the impact of its head and its death.  We just knew it wasn't moving. One of my ex-gf's friends was like "oh, the horse might have hurt its leg and they are keeping it still so it doesn't injure it further".  I think Tech had just tied New Mexico and I made a comment to my ex-gf along the lines of "your mascot's horse knows how the season is going to go".  Then rumors spread through the crowd that the horse was dead, and all of the sudden I'm expecting an ass beating.

But somewhere out there, there are 5 or 6 women, and a couple of men, all in their 40s, who, when they think of that game, they think of that asshole that made a comment about their mascot's horse.  In their minds, that asshole probably made the comment after everybody found out the horse had killed itself, even though the comment was made before.  And for the record, I just looked, and Tech went 6-6 that season.  I don't know where the fuck I was going with this story.

You Dont Say The Office GIF

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The fact you CR regulars can't separate the two is beyond fucking dumb. Not everything has to turn into a political pissing match but you morons who main the cloak room and even the DT moron's who can't keep politics out of their mouths here are stupid and deserve everything bad that happens on this board.

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I don't think the political posts in Daily Texan are as big a problem as the protracted two poster slap fights that go on for pages.  That's what need to banned.  Nobody needs to read 20 post of "you're a moron"  and "fuck you, you're a tard".  Also, quit using tard and regard.

Yeah well how else to you propose two posters measure their dicks vs one another?

50 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The idea that you can separate news from politics on an internet message board is insane to me.  

I'll have to disagree with you here.  It just takes a little bit of self control and consideration of others.  Something that many on this message board lack.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I certainly don't view myself in this way, but maybe you are right. I'll try to be a good employee and listen and take your feedback here under advisement. 

another part of your dynamic is that you don't get super defensive towards other people when they react negatively to you. So let me amend my accusation that you are arrogant and condescending without realizing it to one that you sometimes say arrogant and condescending stuff but seem to not understand that that is why people are reacting to you the way that they are

• Like 1

The fact you CR regulars can't separate the two is beyond fucking dumb. Not everything has to turn into a political pissing match but you morons who main the cloak room and even the DT moron's who can't keep politics out of their mouths here are stupid and deserve everything bad that happens on this board.

From my perspective the former CR snowflakes who now inhabit the DT are the ones politicizing it.

For example, on the 6yr old road rage shooting thread we had DT’s making political quips and then the CR regs reacted.
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Oh I’m not vain. I’m one fo the more stupid posters here. That’s why I listen to the smart people rather than pretend I’m the expert. Try it sometime

He's probably confusing us. I'm the vain one. 

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

While I obviously agree with you that I bring honest opinions (that are my own, not my employer, etc. boilerplate/safe harbor legal disclaimer), I disagree that CR doesn't have a fair share of people who still automatically dismiss and make impossible to discuss, with the cheap and lazy "you are a troll" riposte because they can't handle the opinion and/or think it's impossible someone earnestly holds the opinion. I have my anti-fanbase who neg rep everything I post, regardless of content, and go back in time to do so. Not sure what the ultimate goal is and I generally ignore it, but I think it paints a picture of an attempt to silence and remove.

Your posting and reaction history is available to everyone. Since the beginning of may, you have roughly 225 posts, mostly in the Cloak Room. You actually have net imaginary reputation points in the cloak room over that time (and just a handful of negs). Some people have been mean to you for some of your posts, but you aren't being run out because you have a different opinion. However, sometimes your opinion sucks, and people let you know that. You've done the same. Seems fair to me. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 4

48 minutes ago, Nivek said:

From my perspective the former CR snowflakes who now inhabit the DT are the ones politicizing it.

For example, on the 6yr old road rage shooting thread we had DT’s making political quips and then the CR regs reacted.

Literally the first response to that post (since deleted by a mod) was neonmoon saying something to the effect that the 6 year old should have been carrying. Multiple posts like that by him on that page alone related to “constitutional carry.”

This is a legit #bothsides issue in DT. Partisans have difficulty seeing that.

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Your posting and reaction history is available to everyone. Since the beginning of may, you have roughly 225 posts, mostly in the Cloak Room. You actually have net imaginary reputation points in the cloak room over that time (and just a handful of negs). Some people have been mean to you for some of your posts, but you aren't being run out because you have a different opinion. However, sometimes your opinion sucks, and people let you know that. You've done the same. Seems fair to me. 

Yea, May has been a good month for us all. Which speaks to maybe a more subtle issue; maybe because of the (Cringe 2020 buzzwords alert) unprecedented times we were going through and the new normals we were having to figure out, everyone was a worse version of themselves online and we are emerging from that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, i don't get this at all, and i'm trying to come at it honestly. 

i've moderated more content here in this forum than i have in the cloak room, either editing posts to delete political content or move political content over. 

so i reckon i would like some examples of unfair moderation involvement in the cloak room, since i'm the moderator that posts there the most. i don't even remember the last time i moderated anything over there. i can't speak for @blacklab or @immamac, but i think they prefer to leave that forum pretty much entirely to itself.

I've been on various Texas msg boards for around 15 years and you've been some form of mod for a good chunk of that.  I've never had you or any other mod threaten or take action against me sans one person. All in one year, all in CR, different threads but a related topic.  Not expressing a fringe opinion by any means, just one that stirs up the locals.

Not just me either.  It's an observable pattern when the locals go full "rash of shit" as KY put it.

Edited by JBJ
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

All that said I’d get plenty of responses just absolutely beyond vicious that IRL would never get said, called worse than hitler, a cunt more times than I can count and a bunch of other horrifying stuff.

I am not impressed when posters are treated as you describe. And, since *both-sides* doesn’t make much of an impression, either, maybe this Hicks’ quote will help you (as it does me) to laugh it off:

I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am, so that's the way it comes out.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I've been on various Texas msg boards for around 15 years and you've been some form of mod for a good chunk of that.  I've never had you or any other mod threaten or take action against me sans one person. All in one year, all in CR, different threads but a related topic.  Not expressing a fringe opinion by any means, just one that stirs up the locals.

Not just me either.  It's an observable pattern when the locals go full "rash of shit" as KY put it.

Didn't imma say that he would delete your posts if you didn't answer a question? I could be remembering it wrong. 

4 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Didn't imma say that he would delete your posts if you didn't answer a question? I could be remembering it wrong. 

I recall that happening as well - but we'd be better served with a link to the thread for the context. JBJ (or someone) was trolling and "just asking questions" to throw stones at other posters and their arguments, but refused to take or express a position of their own - lest they have to defend it. That's a pretty clear-cut example of trolling, and is something that does tend to get people crowdsourced after a while.

Just now, workswithseed said:

Yeah.  He demanded that I answer a question that was clearly designed to be a kafka trap.  I answered it while dodging his fallacy.

That's not even the one we PM'd about though.