Highway Signs for Sale?

35 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I'm assuming based on my googling that there isn't a way to get old state highway signs once they get replace? It appears the only way I'd get them is to steal them, correct?

It’s stealing only if you get caught

BTW, just the other day when passing through east of San Antonio on I-10, I noticed the “Woman Hollering Creek” sign has been boosted again.  

One way to get one is to crash your car into it.  Kind of a ‘you break it, you buy it’ deal.  When I was a teenager I ran into a street sign and was flabbergasted at what they billed my insurance company to replace it.  This was a sign for a bus stop, I shudder to think what they would charge for something larger.  Insurance rates will suck for a few years though.  

Edited by conVINCEd

47 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Just out of curiosity, what sign are you looking to acquire?

I have a two digit street address, I was looking to get a sign from several states with my address to put on the ponderosa at the end of my driveway.

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

There are companies that will make them for you. I don't know which companies, but I have a Texas 34 sign hanging on my back porch that was given to me as a gift. It looks identical to a real one, but obviously made of sheet metal. 

It hangs next to the City Limits sign of the small town I grew up in and moved away from in high school. My friends gave it to me as a going away gift. I was the only one that was 16 at the time, they told me to pick them up behind so & so's house in 15 minutes, when I got there they tossed a the sign in the back and screamed gogogo that old bitch saw us and called the sheriff.... So I ended up being the getaway driver for my own going away stolen city limits sign without knowing it. /csb

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like mine came from a generic sign company in the Midland/Odessa area. Apparently they made them as a favor for a large sign order for an Oil and gas company. 

Check with your local sign shops and see if they can make them for you.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

One way to get one is to crash your car into it.  Kind of a ‘you break it, you buy it’ deal.  When I was a teenager I ran into a street sign and was flabbergasted at what they billed my insurance company to replace it.  This was a sign for a bus stop, I shudder to think what they would charge for something larger.  Insurance rates will suck for a few years though.  

Have a close friend who took out a railroad crossing.........Not the arm, the entire apparatus.  Cost a fortune.

7 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Was your car not drivable after hitting the sign?

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Was your car not drivable after hitting the sign?

It might’ve been if we could’ve rolled it over. 

edited to add:  everybody walked away with bumps and bruises but otherwise fine.  Hitting the sign was the last act in a 10 act play that started with losing control of the car while I was going really fucking fast.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/27/2021 at 1:45 PM, conVINCEd said:

I was driving east on W. Alabama one evening. As I was crossing Kirby, some jackass in a black Suburban came flying through his red light southbound. I was surely about to get T-boned. Pulled my wheel all the way right and stomped on the brakes. I avoided the Suburban, but crashed straight in the left hand turn signal. Ripped it right off of its base. Out of spite (I suppose), the whole light pole cam crashing down on the roof of my convertible leaving a pronounced bow in all the roof hardware. To make matters worse, the four concrete encased bolts that anchored the light pole opened up the bottom of my car like a can opener. The Suburban driver fled the scene. HPD wrote me a ticket. City of Houston sent me a bill for about $10,000. My insurance paid the bill. Only had liability coverage though, so my car was a complete loss. Actually, I sold it for $3,500 to a guy who deals in wrecked vehicles. No profit. 

Bernard

9 minutes ago, Bernard said:

I was driving east on W. Alabama one evening. As I was crossing Kirby, some jackass in a black Suburban came flying through his red light southbound. I was surely about to get T-boned. Pulled my wheel all the way right and stomped on the brakes. I avoided the Suburban, but crashed straight in the left hand turn signal. Ripped it right off of its base. Out of spite (I suppose), the whole light pole cam crashing down on the roof of my convertible leaving a pronounced bow in all the roof hardware. To make matters worse, the four concrete encased bolts that anchored the light pole opened up the bottom of my car like a can opener. The Suburban driver fled the scene. HPD wrote me a ticket. City of Houston sent me a bill for about $10,000. My insurance paid the bill. Only had liability coverage though, so my car was a complete loss. Actually, I sold it for $3,500 to a guy who deals in wrecked vehicles. No profit. 

Bernard

Chrysler LeBaron convertible?  

Classy. 

21 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Chrysler LeBaron convertible?  

Classy. 

2002 CLK430. Black.

Full disclosure though: I had a 1982 Dodge 400 convertible in high school and through UT graduation. THEN I replaced it with a 1982 Chrysler LeBaron convertible before going German.

Bernard

Edited by Bernard

Got hold of a fire hydrant in HS. Somebody had missed a curve, and took it off it's base.  Sat in our backyard for a few years.  Dropped acid for the first time and put shoes, glasses, and a hat on it, and named it Orville.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I could have sworn it was 5/8"

They are a lot taller than they appear at the road. I'd recommend having a tailgate to stand on.

Possibly a change in signage construction.  In 88-90, or at least in District 19, 1/2" got the sign off and in to the truck.