Would anyone have fun with a surly hedge fund?

Wulaw Horn

I have no interest in investment outside of real estate because I don’t really know anything high level about it. Y’all seem to have a pretty good knack. What if we all threw in somewhere between $100 and $1000 and did a hive mind investing filings for a month?  Figure out how to make it crowd sourced. Track it daily. Make picks based upon group consensus. 
that seems like it would be amusing. I feel like we’d have to have dozens of people in to make it work. 
anyone else think this would be amusing (especially during the off season?). 

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

No need to speculate... it’s Spectrum.

You mean shit right?

I would let RCRanger or Harrison Stafford run with a hundo or thousand and see what they could do with it, but man that needs some disclaimer to it!

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hefeweizen said:

You mean shit right?

I would let RCRanger or Harrison Stafford run with a hundo or thousand and see what they could do with it, but man that needs some disclaimer to it!

Yeah, we should cut the cord and stream some good stuff.

Ok. So Inhave no investing skills, so I can’t be in charge of any of this shit, but I know lots of guys here fancy themselves pretty sharp and I think this place collectively would beat the experts. Y’all know the smart kids better than I do. Let me think of how the rules of this would work so it’s workable for the board and let’s get after it. Will write something up rules wise on Monday or Tuesday, we can debate and then ratify it like a constitutional convention and then make it go. 
My bet is a return somewhere between 200% and 5000%. 
Or maybe we lose it all.  Or somewhere in between. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok. So Inhave no investing skills, so I can’t be in charge of any of this shit, but I know lots of guys here fancy themselves pretty sharp and I think this place collectively would beat the experts. Y’all know the smart kids better than I do. Let me think of how the rules of this would work so it’s workable for the board and let’s get after it. Will write something up rules wise on Monday or Tuesday, we can debate and then ratify it like a constitutional convention and then make it go. 
My bet is a return somewhere between 200% and 5000%. 
Or maybe we lose it all.  Or somewhere in between. 

The smart guy is the fund manager that gets his fee up front.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

We really need to just skip the whole investment rigmarole and go straight for the jugular. I'm talking printing money. No not counterfeiting, printing fake money is wrong. I say we print real money.

You can't tell me there's not a loophole where we can't print our own real US money. In the old days they used to set up mints wherever they found metal deposits. So maybe we have to actually "coin" it. Sacagaweas for everybody. Or maybe there's a way to rent a printer at the Philly Mint. I don't know that there is, BUT HOW DO YOU KNOWS THERE'S NOT?

The opportunity is probably sitting there in the fine print of some old amendment, just like a 20 dollar bill blowing down the sidewalk that nobody sees, except it's 20 GigaTRILLIONS as soon as we get started.

Back up plan is to sell stupid shit to Aggy.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:39 PM, RDCanecutter said:

We really need to just skip the whole investment rigmarole and go straight for the jugular. I'm talking printing money. No not counterfeiting, printing fake money is wrong. I say we print real money.

You can't tell me there's not a loophole where we can't print our own real US money. In the old days they used to set up mints wherever they found metal deposits. So maybe we have to actually "coin" it. Sacagaweas for everybody. Or maybe there's a way to rent a printer at the Philly Mint. I don't know that there is, BUT HOW DO YOU KNOWS THERE'S NOT?

The opportunity is probably sitting there in the fine print of some old amendment, just like a 20 dollar bill blowing down the sidewalk that nobody sees, except it's 20 GigaTRILLIONS as soon as we get started.

Back up plan is to sell stupid shit to Aggy.

Is there a legal reason why we can't issue our own Surly banknotes?

We make NFTs of Aggy rings, boots, and any other totemistic stuff set on the bar at Duddley's, the Chicken, or whatever other establishment they hold dear.

(Yes, we need the cooperation of those bars but I am sure they'll be down with it since they get free advertising, plus their very existence is based on extracting $ from Aggy.)

To boost their Big Awl Man vanity we'll set the minimum membership fee at a non-refundable $1,000 PLUS an Aggy background check (we use part of their initial $1,000 to send certified letters to their neighbors asking them to step in if the mark is not a True Aggy,) after which they will be allowed to bid. One of our group will attempt to infiltrate and will be shamed and expelled as a tsip in a viral news story that others of us will help spread.

We will pay any licensing fee that A&M desires-- we will not be fighting over pennies when there are mountains of dollars to be had.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

I actually would be in for treefiddy.  I'm not sure what I really bring to the table so I will be submitting proxy votes in line with whatever @alphahorn says to do, should he join.  

@Randolph Duke has given me Dr. Michael Burry vibes from the Tell Me About A&M thread.  Just instead of plowing through hundreds of thousands of underlying mortgages to make a fortune, he's sorting through mountains of paper to expose aggie since we the people of the great state of Texas deserve better than Texas A&M.  

I’ll invest just to be able to listen to the calls. I’m not kidding. The value of the humor will be worth all the losses. But I uh, will not be the securities lawyer on the deal. Hahahaha. 

Edited by troph