Pitbulls

closetohumping

Pitbulls  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Speaking of polls, I had sex with South_Austin's mom

• Pitbulls are inherently more dangerous than most medium sized dogs
    • It's the owner stupid- pit bulls, like any dog can be volatile. They're fine if you raise them right.
    • Not enough data to determine
    • Honestly a little of both
    • Pitbulls get worse as they get older and even the most well trained can go off. Degenerative cognition is the issue. Like humans they get crazier as they age.
    • Don't care. I could beat up any medium sized dog.

Was watching that show Pit bulls and parolees.  A few thoughts:

1. some pit bulls are cute as fuck.

2. I used to think the daughters were hot but they're pretty gnarly.

3. I believe pit bulls can be good dogs but can have a more hair trigger temper and once they attack, they won't quit until something dies.  I also believe they may be more prone to cognitive degenaration as they get older.

I probably wouldn't get one, but IDK, maybe they're ok.

Like any dog, if you get it as a puppy and raise it right, probably pretty good dogs. Too many people get them for the wrong reasons and probably shouldn't have any dog.

Also, getting an adult one from a shelter, mixed with god knows what, and with whatever issues it already has, would be a big fucking no from me. 

If you have children, teach them how to behave around dogs, and be aware of the stress signals dogs give off. Not talking about pits specifically, but any dog. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I don’t know if you ever walked a pit bull. You owe to your life at some point in your life to walk a pit bull down the street. I’m telling you, it’s the greatest experience ever. People just get the fuck out of the way. It’s unreal. Three, four blocks away, they see me coming. They just immediately cross the street. It’s tremendous. I don’t know why black people complain about that. I love having the whole side of the street to myself. It’s great. I feel like a king. Oh, it’s awesome. It’s the greatest thing ever. Pit bulls are the shit. It’s like a gun you can pet. It’s the only way to describe it. It’s awesome. They make you want to p90x or something.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Roommates girlfriend in college got a blue pit that was an absolute hoss. Gf was trash but Levi was the shit and I would take him places and TXS says people just look at you completely different. I got a lab a year later and not the same experience.

He was friendly to people but was extremely dog aggressive.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t know if you ever walked a pit bull. You owe to your life at some point in your life to walk a pit bull down the street. I’m telling you, it’s the greatest experience ever. People just get the fuck out of the way. It’s unreal. Three, four blocks away, they see me coming. They just immediately cross the street. It’s tremendous. I don’t know why black people complain about that. I love having the whole side of the street to myself. It’s great. I feel like a king. Oh, it’s awesome. It’s the greatest thing ever. Pit bulls are the shit. It’s like a gun you can pet. It’s the only way to describe it. It’s awesome. They make you want to p90x or something.

I get the same reaction when I walk the gimp down the street.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

I don't think they're inherently more dangerous than other breeds. But I also think they can do a shit ton more damage if not raised correctly or around stupid people or kids that might set them off. As in, if some fuck stick does something dumb, a "normal" dog might growl or snap at him. A Pitbull might remove half his face.

• Hook 'Em 5

The breed is bred to be dog-aggressive and it’s also been adopted by people who breed for trash reasons (either aggressiveness or ‘looking tough’).  It’s going to be more of a crapshoot when you’re getting one, even as a puppy.

A lot of the stuff about them is crap or urban legend (locking jaws, bite strength off the charts)— but it absolutely true that they are bred to be ‘game’ and so when they do attack something they are more inclined to keep going and are more resistant to pain than most other dogs.  That alone makes them more dangerous. 

I do not understand why it would be an attractive breed for someone who wants a loving, energetic, athletic family pet. There are plenty of dogs like that without the baggage and I tend to assume that it’s the K-9 equivalent of rolling coal.

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I don't think they're inherently more dangerous than other breeds

They have been bred for hundreds of years to be used in blood sports.  Their aggressiveness is the definition of inherent. 
I’ve seen stats stating that they are responsible for 50% of reported dog bite incidents despite making up only 6% of the pet dog population. 

• Hook 'Em 5

On 5/30/2021 at 4:38 PM, cmontexas said:

A pissed off German Shepard is scarier than a pitbull. 

Also seems like nobody has Rottweilers anymore, pitbulls are the standard dog to have these days to show the world how badass and tough you are. I blame Triumph

I would not fuck with a Rottweler, unless I had the high ground.  And a vase.  Like the principal from Ferris Bueller.  Dobermans also scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.  Fucking neighbor had a big mean red one.

On 5/30/2021 at 4:54 PM, TonyTexas said:

Serious question: Pit bulls seem to be a favorite of the African American community. Is there a historic or socio economic explanation for that?  

IDK, seem to be popular among Anglo American and Hispanic American trash as well.  Ever see rich people with pit bulls?  Me neither.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

There was a free-roaming Doberman in my neighborhood as a kid that was a really sweet and gentle dog. It would eat all of the acorns that it could find (or that the neighborhood kids could feed it). In retrospect, I now imagine that dog probably had some serious digestive problems. 

Sorry, Kibok, or however the fuck your name was spelled. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I would not fuck with a Rottweler, unless I had the high ground.  And a vase.  Like the principal from Ferris Bueller.  Dobermans also scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.  Fucking neighbor had a big mean red one.

Sweetest, gentlest dog I ever had was Rottie who spent the first years of her life chained to a tree.

Screenshot_20210531-192826_Amazon Photos.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, cmontexas said:

A pissed off German Shepard is scarier than a pitbull. 

We had a German shepherd when I was a kid. He was extremely protective of me and my sisters. Did NOT like strangers.

Once I was going to scare my sister with this rubber halloween mask.  Homer was on the porch and saw me sneaking through the house. He didn't recognize me because of the mask and almost tore down the screen door trying to get to me. Scared the stupid right out of me.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 3

About 20 years go, my then-BIL used to breed pits and he used them for hog hunting. He gave a pup to my then-SIL, who lived with my wife and I. She was a flake and left the dog to us when she moved out. The dog was sweet, a buckskin colored female. I got another one (blue brindle male) so she could have a playmate that she couldn't just tear apart. He was great, too. One day, my sister came over and brought her 2 young kids (9 & 8 or so). Kids were running around the yard, doing kid shit. Then I see my sweet female look at my nephew in a way I'd never seen her look before. She started barking at him. Told the kids to GTFO the yard and back in the house. I never let them around a kid again and found them new homes when I decided to have kids of my own. 

Both of those kids turned out to be huge losers. Maybe the dog knew what was going to happen and those barks were her way of warning them to get their shit together?

• Hook 'Em 5

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

do not understand why it would be an attractive breed for someone who wants a loving, energetic, athletic family pet. There are plenty of dogs like that without the baggage and I tend to assume that it’s the K-9 equivalent of rolling coal.

This is pretty much my thoughts.  Pits serve absolutely no purpose.  The days of dog fighting being socially acceptable or hog hunting or whatever are long gone.  No one “needs” a pit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Deej said:

Sweetest, gentlest dog I ever had was Rottie who spent the first years of her life chained to a tree.

Screenshot_20210531-192826_Amazon Photos.jpg

Fella down the street from me had a huge rottie named Jack. When he'd first gotten Jack, the owner was a little nervous, because Jack had snapped at a boy my son's age ('bout 4 or so?) when he first got him. Well, my son went up to him with absolutely no fear, and they were immediate best buds. And from then on. For years, whenever my son came back to that neighborhood (father-in-law lived there), Jack would whine like a puppy as soon as my son was nearby, and they had to say "hi" to each other.

Later on, when my daughter (9 years younger) was a toddler, all the dogs in the neighborhood were having a dog party in Jack's yard. Jack and his buddy Gxr (a big, fun-loving, big, sweet, big, dumb, but mostly big boxer -- don't ask about the name) sat themselves down on the grass, butts towards my daughter. If any dog got too close, they'd make it clear that my girl was under their protection. She'd lie right inside Jack's belly like it was her pillow and he was more than happy to be there.

But man, he LOVED my son more than anything. Son could've asked him to jump off a cliff, and Jack would do it. Most loving big guy you ever saw. 

All that guy's dogs were like that. Big, scary-looking, but sweet as hell. Dog he had when we met him was a HUGE dobie named Damian. Same thing. Come to think of it, neighbor was that way, too. Big but kind. That's why I vote "depends on the owner" here. Because it really does. How the dog behaves is a reflection of its upbringing.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/30/2021 at 6:55 PM, Txslnghrns said:

This feels like a glimpse inside the mind of the guy who commutes from his suburb to work in an F350 dually with a 12" lift and six light bars.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

my sister has an asshole jack russell/beagle (best guess) mix that nips at strange men only. she got him as an adult rescue so it wasn't her lol. 

but he did bite her ex-husband, so asshole recognizes asshole 😄 

ETA: i also have a 'good' pit bull story...my dad basically 'collects' dogs at his ranch, rescues or found dogs, often just strays that wander up and stay lol. he has a continuously evolving pack, never less than 4, and there is ALWAYS an 'alpha' (well, besides him). when one alpha passes away, another naturally ascends.

it's fascinating to watch, really... you get a real sense of dog sociology. they are all, to a dog, big, goofy, gentle beasts. if any demonstrate the slightest aggression - to the cows, dogs. or people - he will take them to the shelter.

anyway...one of them was a jet black pit bull, solid muscle, i don't even know where she came from...she looked so scary but she was a big old baby. her only 'aggression' was when my dad would start throwing the tennis ball around, man would she run off any dog that tried to get it 😄 but the second any human yelled or scolded her she would immediately drop her head and start wagging her tail.

she eventually became alpha herself for a few years 🙂 he's got a lotta dogs buried in his back pasture ❤

TL/DR: i vote little bit of both

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am curious what the OP (and the rest of y'all) consider to be a "pitbull"?  Is it a staffordshire terrier?  Or is it several bully breeds.

My younger brother has a rescue staffordshire terrier (DNA checked) and is extremely docile with humans, of all sizes.  Squirrels, moles, other dogs...not so much.  Great dog.

I have an American Bulldog (well, to be accurate 50% AB, 25% staffordshire terrier, 25% "boxer mix).  There are a lot of photos of her in the dog thread.  She hates possums and cats. Is so-so when it comes to other dogs (I guess she thinks some are assholes, others a cool).  In my life I can't recall ever seeing a more patient and loving dog with kids (I have two daughters 4 and 6).  I mention her because people throw around the term "pitbull" as an umbrella term for a few different bully breeds.  Aside from cloning, if there was a way for her to live forever, I would be all in.

My wife used to volunteer every weekend for about 2 years at BARC in Houston.  All the volunteers and workers there never worried about the pits hurting them.  It was always the little terriers or chihuahuas. 

I have been chased and bitten by dogs, none of them were pits.

I believe more than 50% of the problem is the owner.  Genetics can play a part, but not nearly as much as the owner. 

I am sure Rex will show up to this thread and say all dogs, including mine, need to be killed.  But he is worthless so...

I've only seen Luna get truly pissed off once. Intact male lab at the dog park was trying to hump her and wouldn't give up. She growled at his first attempt, snapped at his second, then went full Cujo with the third. 

Her fur stuck out like a porcupine and her head turned into solid fangs.  She drove him into the dirt, pinned him down, then growled in his face with teeth bared. All in the span of about a second

It was pants shitting terrifying. Every person and dog was was frozen still.

Called her off and she bounded to me like nothing happened.  Turned to look as we were leaving and the male was still laying where she left him covered in his own piss.

20210306_133130.jpg

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’ve told this story a bunch already, but I got bitten by a pitbull that was being walked by a little girl in my apartment complex a couple years ago. They were walking by me & I guess I got too close for his liking. The “they fight until something dies” thing is bullshit. A couple kicks to the face + it seeing I wasn’t a threat to the girl was enough for it to stop attacking. But yeah, they do bite & bite fucking hard. I think pit bulls are inherently dangerous animals, compounded by typically shitty owners. That owner was clearly shitty for trusting a small child to walk it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am curious what the OP (and the rest of y'all) consider to be a "pitbull"?  Is it a staffordshire terrier?  Or is it several bully breeds.

My younger brother has a rescue staffordshire terrier (DNA checked) and is extremely docile with humans, of all sizes.  Squirrels, moles, other dogs...not so much.  Great dog.

I have an American Bulldog (well, to be accurate 50% AB, 25% staffordshire terrier, 25% "boxer mix).  There are a lot of photos of her in the dog thread.  She hates possums and cats. Is so-so when it comes to other dogs (I guess she thinks some are assholes, others a cool).  In my life I can't recall ever seeing a more patient and loving dog with kids (I have two daughters 4 and 6).  I mention her because people throw around the term "pitbull" as an umbrella term for a few different bully breeds.  Aside from cloning, if there was a way for her to live forever, I would be all in.

My wife used to volunteer every weekend for about 2 years at BARC in Houston.  All the volunteers and workers there never worried about the pits hurting them.  It was always the little terriers or chihuahuas. 

I have been chased and bitten by dogs, none of them were pits.

I believe more than 50% of the problem is the owner.  Genetics can play a part, but not nearly as much as the owner. 

I am sure Rex will show up to this thread and say all dogs, including mine, need to be killed.  But he is worthless so...

I consider pit bulls to be the American Staffordshire and American Pitbull Terrier (not AKC recognized but there is a registry) and mixes of those. The Staffordshire is not as likely to be a problem if you buy from a responsible breeder.

I absolutely believe that the owner is more than half the issue most of the time. The issue is that the remaining 45 percent is still a problem.  Most pitbull and pitbull type dogs will be fine. But, most other big dog and working dog breeds have been carefully bred for temper and aggression, because a big strong dog that isn’t gentle is extremely dangerous. But pitbulls (and other dogs that people want to be “badass” to a lesser extent) have had generations of breeders select for aggression and/or simply breed irresponsibly.  And so there’s a higher chance you get stuck with a bad egg. And a bad egg pitbull with its gameness and pain tolerance is very dangerous in a way a bad tempered small dog isn’t. 

I have known lots of pitbull people and have heard so many stories about how such and such dog was the gentlest thing BUT... one day it went after and killed a small dog, or got excited and bit a kid, or something else. And most of the time they blame themselves or the person involved. I rarely hear that about say, a boxer or golden retriever. I will say that I think chow chow dogs are underrated as far as “meanness”, I’ve had some bad experiences with them and they are big enough to do damage.

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I consider pit bulls to be the American Staffordshire and for American Pitbull Terrier (not AKC recognized but there is a registry) and mixes of those. The Staffordshire is not as likely to be a problem if you buy from a responsible breeder.

I absolutely believe that the owner is more than half the issue most of the time. The issue is that the remaining 45 percent is still a problem.  Most pitbull and pitbull dog dogs will be fine. But, most other big dog and working dog breeds have been carefully bred for temper and aggression, because a big strong dog that isn’t gentle is extremely dangerous. But pitbulls (and other dogs that people want to be “badass” to a lesser extent) have had generations of breeders select for aggression and/or simply breed irresponsibly.  And so there’s a higher chance you get stuck with a bad egg. And a bad egg pitbull with its gameness and pain tolerance is very dangerous in a way a bad tempered small dog isn’t. 

I have known lots of pitbull people and have heard so many stories about how such and such dog was the gentlest thing BUT... one day it went after and killed a small dog, or got excited and bit a kid, or something else. And most of the time they blame themselves or the person involved. I rarely hear that about say, a boxer or golden retriever. I will say that I think chow chow dogs are underrated as far as “meanness”, I’ve had some bad experiences with them and they are big enough to do damage.

Friend of a friend had two pit bulls that were pretty friendly.  Owners roommate had a car and they coexisted for quite a few years.  One day roomie got home and the cat was dead

i think with pits often times there’s probably a lot of in breeding or it’s hard to trace their lineage.  Since they were bred to be fighting dogs they’re not supposed to be aggressive towards humans

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I consider pit bulls to be the American Staffordshire and American Pitbull Terrier (not AKC recognized but there is a registry) and mixes of those. The Staffordshire is not as likely to be a problem if you buy from a responsible breeder.

I absolutely believe that the owner is more than half the issue most of the time. The issue is that the remaining 45 percent is still a problem.  Most pitbull and pitbull type dogs will be fine. But, most other big dog and working dog breeds have been carefully bred for temper and aggression, because a big strong dog that isn’t gentle is extremely dangerous. But pitbulls (and other dogs that people want to be “badass” to a lesser extent) have had generations of breeders select for aggression and/or simply breed irresponsibly.  And so there’s a higher chance you get stuck with a bad egg. And a bad egg pitbull with its gameness and pain tolerance is very dangerous in a way a bad tempered small dog isn’t. 

Chows are the one dog I truly never trust. 

• Hook 'Em 2

One of my best friends had a pit bull named Fred. Fred was super chill almost all the time. Other times he was a killer. Fred was raised in the county. Roamed free a lot. Near Schulenberg. One day he was messing around with a 500 lb bull. Bull got annoyed and kicked Fred in the head. A few moments later, the bull was dead. Later Fred moved to the City. He killed quite a few neighborhood cats that wandered through his backyard. One day my buddy was walking Fred in the neighborhood on a leash (required by law in Houston). Another dog owner and dog were walking the opposite direction on the same street. Other dog was not leashed. Other dog died on the spot.

I don't think pit bulls are any more aggressive than other dogs. Any dog can get mad and attack. When most dogs decide they want to bite you, you can be treated with a band aid, or less. When a pit bull decides to bite you, you can easily be calling an ambulance, or worse.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Bernard said:

One of my best friends had a pit bull named Fred. Fred was super chill almost all the time. Other times he was a killer. Fred was raised in the county. Roamed free a lot. Near Schulenberg. One day he was messing around with a 500 lb bull. Bull got annoyed and kicked Fred in the head. A few moments later, the bull was dead. Later Fred moved to the City. He killed quite a few neighborhood cats that wandered through his backyard. One day my buddy was walking Fred in the neighborhood on a leash (required by law in Houston). Another dog owner and dog were walking the opposite direction on the same street. Other dog was not leashed. Other dog died on the spot.

I don't think pit bulls are any more aggressive than other dogs. Any dog can get mad and attack. When most dogs decide they want to bite you, you can be treated with a band aid, or less. When a pit bull decides to bite you, you can easily be calling an ambulance, or worse.

Bernard

LOL, I don't think a pit ull can take down a 500 pound bull.

At the risk of identifying as poor, I rescued a pit off the streets and it is a loving sweet dog. More so than my other mutt. I have finally contained her, but a few times she's escaped for attack purposes and it was scarey. 

She will not be allowed around my grandchild nor would I get another one.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/31/2021 at 11:44 AM, TonyTexas said:

I’ve seen stats stating that they are responsible for 50% of reported dog bite incidents despite making up only 6% of the pet dog population. 

That's because people generally don't report bites from small dogs.   Because chihuahuas generally don't cause death or mauling.  If they did report all bites that stat would be blown out f the water.

I grew up with GSD's so I've never considered them scary.  They are inherently a herding dog.

My buddy had a big beautiful sweet female Rot.   One day all the wives were out of town and he was having some guys over for beers.   Sent me a text saying "im getting in the shower, front door is open"   I've known this dog since it was a puppy.  Now she's 80lbs.   I get to the door and I'm about to open it and she's standing at the window; she just looked at me like "hey I know you but my master is in the shower and you're just going to need to wait there for about 10 mins"   So I did.

• Haha 2

I absolutely believe that the owner is more than half the issue most of the time.

This sentence made me laugh, started out very strong.

@nola Is the reward worth that risk “I own this time tomb, I’ve had to disarm it a few times when I heard it start ticking randomly but I’m gonna hold on to it”
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, midtown said:

That's because people generally don't report bites from small dogs.   Because chihuahuas generally don't cause death or mauling.  If they did report all bites that stat would be blown out f the water.

An interesting defense by saying that pit bull attacks, unlike other dogs,  cause death or serious injury. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

An interesting defense of pit bulls by saying that their attacks cause death or serious injury unlike other dogs.

It's neither a defense nor an endorsement.  I'm just pointing out that I think that stat is skewed.

Just now, midtown said:

It's neither a defense nor an endorsement.  I'm just pointing out that I think that stat is skewed.

You’re right in the fact that the stat was based on hospital reports. But the point remains the same. Pit bulls attacks, overwhelmingly , cause more serious injury than any other breed. 

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, bluto said:

@nola Is the reward worth that risk “I own this time tomb, I’ve had to disarm it a few times when I heard it start ticking randomly but I’m gonna hold on to it”

$5k later, my risk is mimimalized. I'm single, I have a fence reinforced to deter digging. Your risk? I agree that they are a time bomb that may or may not go off. 

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

LOL, I don't think a pit ull can take down a 500 pound bull.

I can assure you, this one did.

It caused quite a stir within the family. When the bull went down, my friend's dad when in the house and picked up a shotgun to put down the dog. One of two sons basically got the dog in a bear hug to save the dog's life. There was a tense confrontation with a lot of, "Step away from the dog, son!!!!" and "You're NOT killing Fred, dad!!!!" In the end, the dog survived, but his days in the country were over.

And for anyone not familiar with cattle, a 500 lb bull in no where near full grown. A full grown bull can be more like 1,800 - 2,000 lbs.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, bluto said:

will ferrell anchorman GIFLulz I had teh dumbs when I posted. 

4 hours ago, midtown said:

My buddy had a big beautiful sweet female Rot.   One day all the wives were out of town and he was having some guys over for beers.   Sent me a text saying "im getting in the shower, front door is open"   I've known this dog since it was a puppy.  Now she's 80lbs.   I get to the door and I'm about to open it and she's standing at the window; she just looked at me like "hey I know you but my master is in the shower and you're just going to need to wait there for about 10 mins"   So I did.

A lot to unpack in this story.

• Haha 1