The best female singer

Sbbruin

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Alanis did it in a better era. Billie's never selling 30 million CDs. I'm also not sure how much of her music she writes or composes. 

All of it. Her and her brother write her music, according to my kids. 

13 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Many on here might not like their music but her voice may be the best ever.  

Great voice, and she could play a mean set of drums....  Best voice ever ?  Very pretty, but I never thought it was very distinct, singular sounding.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Great voice, and she could play a mean set of drums....  Best voice ever ?  Very pretty, but I never thought it was very distinct, singular sounding.

Karen Carpenter's voice was the very definition of distinct and singular sounding.  She was a very unusual alto.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Name a female pop singer who reminds you of Karen Carpenter.

I think they all have their own unique sound. Karen Carpenter had a voice like an angel, but it wasn't something that spoke to me. It was very pretty, and strong, but not my vibe.

I'm sure my choices for best female vocalists don't fit lots of other folks opinions.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, that I can understand.  Well, I can't really understand it, but at least it's about preference.

I hear certain female vocalists, and their sound is beyond just their generation.  Holliday, Fitzgerald, Winehouse, Cline. 

Mahalia Jackson who sung gospel is a very underrated giant IMO.

Karen was pretty, and sweet, and kind of boring to me.

Currently it's Rachel Price....as for pipes Adele's not bad...in her time Ronstadt was as good to the ear as to the eye. Nicks had a great band and great songs but she is the voice I pull out of FM. Silver Springs is an awesome collaboration and I'd bet Nicks and Buckingham laughed azzes off that people took it so personally. She is an able actress. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today?  St. Vincent.  And she plays a mean guitar, too.  She's got some Bowie to her.   I celebrate her entire catalogue, but this tour in Dallas was one of the best, and unexpectedly so, shows I've ever seen.

Edited by dcbc

On 6/17/2021 at 5:04 AM, Bama Llama said:

Above are all fine, DGAF as to naming any one of them "best."   These enhance the world of sound (and sight too, in some cases):

Sade / Diana Krall / Annie Lennox / Blonde ABBA singer / last but not least, Edith Piaf

Second on the little sparrow being a fine singer.  She got a lot of pushback here after that crappy commercial with Non, je ne regrette rien.  

Some of Pink's newer stuff slams. Alanis' new record is really good. Adele has fucking pipes. Regina spektor is quirky but really good. Phoebe bridgers is hauntingly good. Niki Lane is a badass. Winehouse was one of a kind. 

I'd rather listen to all of them over Stevie nicks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, pops said:

Some of Pink's newer stuff slams. Alanis' new record is really good. Adele has fucking pipes. Regina spektor is quirky but really good. Phoebe bridgers is hauntingly good. Niki Lane is a badass. Winehouse was one of a kind. 

I'd rather listen to all of them over Stevie nicks. 

Yep, yep, yep, and yep.  That's what makes Amy one for the ages.  Her voice at her age, was Something you just don't see more than once every few generations.  Nicks was good, but so many more women with so much more range than she ever had have come before, and after.

• Hook 'Em 1