I'll Admit It -- I Watched the Friends Reunion and Really Enjoyed It.

Beau Vine

I agree this topic deserved its own thread, and I’m only mentioning this if you’d like to read other comments on the same topic, as they’ve been posted in the “HBO Max Streaming Service” thread.

I think we get a little too “we’re not TexAgs, dammit!” around here with the economy of threads.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think HBO Max got them for a bargain. $15 million, $2.5 million per cast member. 

On the flip side of the coin, all the cast had to do was drive across town and do a couple table reads. Win-win for both sides. 

I agree with the poster upthread. We didn’t need the celebrity cameos. I guess it was a half assed attempt to get people under 30 to watch. 

Too many celeb guests. No need really for a live crowd or even James Corden. The best parts were the six of them just talking. Still enjoyable though. 

The eyes starting bulging on Aniston when he started a question by laying out how hot they used to be, then pivoted to a fastball question on if any of them hooked up.

Joey’s “bullshit” was awesome.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:06 PM, 4th&Five said:

Too many celeb guests. No need really for a live crowd or even James Corden. The best parts were the six of them just talking. Still enjoyable though. 

There's never a need for James Corden.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Could OP BE any gayer?

In all seriousness watched it last night.  I watched Friends when it was on, hey it was Thursday night sitting around drinking in college before we went out...it wasn't the best show ever but it was pretty solid.  That said the reunion and some of the emotions felt a little forced and the guests were generally lame.  Maybe because I just graduated my oldest on Sunday it made me feel old. 

A few other observations:

1.   Not sure there is much of a difference between Schwimmer in real life and Ross.

2.  Courtney Cox should shoot her plastic surgeon in the back of the head

3.  Jen's high beams still got it.  

4.  Matt LeBlanc living the life...

5.  Drugs are bad kids....see Matthew Perry

8 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

1.   Not sure there is much of a difference between Schwimmer in real life and Ross.

1994 Jennifer Anniston was wet for him and he passed. I'm not sure if I could live with myself. 

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

4.  Matt LeBlanc living the life...

Fat, rich, and happy. I want to hang out with him.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

HUUUGE fan.  Enjoyed it.  

Monica really messed up her face, I don't get the old lady obsession with making lips and mouth like a catfish.

She was smoke in her small part in The Longest yard remake.

Feel bad for Chandler, by far my fave character of the group.  Really sucked when they showed clips of young Chandler and then they cut back over to him on the reunion stage...

Courtney Cox Longest Yard - Meme Pict

• Hook 'Em 1

Wasn’t a big fan of Phoebe when I was in college but think she’s funny when watching reruns now.

I also didn’t care much for Joey at the time but I thought Leblanc was great in the reunion and I look at Joey differently now and appreciate him. Seems like Leblanc was down to earth and could appreciate what Friends did for him.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We finally watched it.  We neither loved nor hated Friends but if you're of a certain age, you always watched it.  (I was more of a Seinfeld person.)

Matt LeBlanc seems like an alright dude.  Cashed in and just living a good life, dressing like an old man.  Matthew Perry looks like hammered dog shit.  Schwimmer still looks the same.  Jennifer Aniston looks fucking amazing.*  Lisa Kudrow still looks the same and she's 57 or something.  Courtney Cox went overboard on the plastic surgery.  

*This isn't hindsight.  I said it at the time.  Brad Pitt chose.........poorly.

26 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Schwimmer still looks the same. 

He does. He, Kudrow and Aniston seemed to have aged the best, although Jennifer may be heading down a path of bad plastic surgery.  Not as bad as Courtney Cox, but she may be getting there.

And I always thought Ross could be an annoying big pussy.  I guess that was part of the character and why he drew so many laughs, but as audience members often do, I always associated that with David Schwimmer as a person, because I never really saw him in much else (other than Band of Brothers, where his character was also completely unlikable).  But he seemed like a really good dude in the reunion. 

That show's popularity was obviously due to the chemistry of the six stars.  I read once where the producers originally wanted Joey to be the typical horn dog character that hits on the three girls constantly, and Leblanc wisely refused to play him that way.  It would have completely changed the dynamic of the cast.

Edited by Wade
  • Hook 'Em 2

If you watch the first few episodes, he was the womanizer you mentioned and a lot smarter. Then, he became essentially a cartoon character, dumb as a rock. Perhaps it made for a more likable Joey and better cast chemistry, but boy, was he stupid. 

And I think we saw the real Schwimmer when he bitched endlessly about the monkey. I suspect his Entourage portrayal was much more on point, a douchey rich guy who got more ass than you’d expect (Natalie Imbrouglia was a good pull in the 90’s). 

31 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

If you watch the first few episodes, he was the womanizer you mentioned and a lot smarter. Then, he became essentially a cartoon character, dumb as a rock. Perhaps it made for a more likable Joey and better cast chemistry, but boy, was he stupid.

I didn't care much for dramatic Joey toward the end when he fell in love with Rachel, or that whole storyline.

I didn't care much for dramatic Joey toward the end when he fell in love with Rachel, or that whole storyline.

That was probably the worst story line of the entire show. It was absolutely pointless and never felt right.
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...