EPL 2021-22

maninblack

BTW - the news article has some good details about the bid process. The biggest ones are probably:

The Premier League had been on course for a 50 per cent rise in the value of the rights to $1.5 billion (£1.1 billion) for a six-year deal but that now looks as though it may be surpassed.

The first round of bidding ended on Monday and the Premier League has now opened bidding for a second round with an announcement expected next week.

NBC Sports holds the rights until next year — it paid $1 billion for 2016-22 — and is the favourite to secure at least some of the rights but is facing competition from ESPN and CBS. The Premier League has split the rights into four packages instead of one so they may be shared between more than one broadcaster, as is the case domestically with Sky, BT Sport and Amazon Prime.

There are also some notes that NBC has made this their priority, while ESPN has "submitted a bid". The article also noted that the US has become the #1 overseas market target again with China's sports broadcast market collapsing.

I do find the dual package thing interesting as well.

I don't think CBS/Paramount would mean just Paramount+. What does CBS Sports (TV) show Saturday or Sunday mornings? Fuck if I know, I only turn on the station mid week for European Cups. This could draw more eyes to that station.

7 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Paramount+ kicks ass, FWIW. Their coverage of the Champions League is spot on.

This. And for WCQ It's great, too.

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Good spot for Frank. Chelsea was just a little too big for him too early in his managerial career. Somewhere with low expectations where he has time to feel things out is perfect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some new details from the EPL TV bid process.

1. It's due Thursday with a likely answer before the end of the week

2. There are fewer groups involved this go around and while 1st round bids were for partial packages, this round is a winner take all bid, BUT some groups were allowed combined bids (if pre-approved). The groups are

• NBC
  • CBS and ESPN
  • Fox Sports
  • Amazon
  • WarnerMedia (HBO Max and soon Discovery+)

More details here

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/SB-Blogs/Breaking-News/2021/11/EPL-TV.aspx

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2021/11/13/us-premier-league-rights-poll-who-do-you-want-to-win/

I can't remember exactly how Fox did the Bundesliga but I think FS1 and FS2 had most of the matches with Fox national occasionally getting a match. With Big Noon on Saturday and NFL on Sunday, I don't see how that happens unless it's outside of football season. They also have Fox Soccer Channel but that's on a higher tier in most cable and satellite packages. They have the Fox Sports app but that's just to watch the existing channels. I'm sure they'll be happy to sell a streaming service if they get EPL matches. 

It might not just be money, it could be how they structured the coverage. NBC is a known quantity and they probably are not just putting the coverage all on peacock. I bet we see a lot of USA network.

They number I am hearing is £1.9 billion/$2.57 Billion. Over 6 years, $438.3 Million a year.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Hook 'Em 2