The Linda Linda’s

Bogeywon

A lot of punk sucked ass. Probably most if it, actually. But when it worked it was great. At least for a time.

The best punk ever was the pre-punk 60s garage rock. A lot of it sucked, too, but that's the nature of music.

These ladies...OK, I give them credit for effort and copying stuff that isn't as shitty as most popular modern music. They're aren't bad. I don't think I would ever obsess over their catalog, but hey, you never know. I get on some weird kicks sometimes.

Punk rock to me when I played it was more about the attitude. Also it’s remarkable when a band has a 3 chord riff that carries a entire song. It made me feel as a guitar player “hey I can do this head bang and maybe get a message across”. But I love all music and can find good in all of it even Jojo siwa that my daughter and I listen to constantly. The dead Kennedy’s were a great band and one of the first punk bands I heard and I was fucking hooked!

Bogey, I think you're the only one in this thread who gets punk.

Punk isnt about attitude or rebellion, though a lot of punk bands have done that. Punk is 3 chords and the truth.

Linda Linda's are adolescent girls writing about their cats, friends, and experiences at school / not being at school and putting it to fun simple riffs people can get into. Thats punk as fuck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2021 at 10:05 AM, tbone_ said:

Buck - with all due respect I think the point of punk was for dudes like you to hate it.

Dudes like me, also known as people who like real music, from blues to jazz to R&B to rock ‘n’ roll to progressive and so on. From world music to classical. I’m not a musician. Punk is the only musical form I’m qualified to perform. Tell me why that’s a positive endorsement of the genre. 

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Dudes like me, also known as people who like real music, from blues to jazz to R&B to rock ‘n’ roll to progressive and so on. From world music to classical. I’m not a musician. Punk is the only musical form I’m qualified to perform. Tell me why that’s a positive endorsement of the genre. 

wine fart GIF by South Park

like every crotchety white guy rapping about... putting bologna in his macaroni to illustrate that hip hop takes no skill, I guarantee that your punk music would suck even to those who appreciate the genre

I think I would have liked the Sex Pistols had I lived through that time but I didn't and I don't particularly. The Ramones are fun and the Clash are fucking great.

These guys are fun. I'm not super into their music and think the social media blowup is maybe a bit out of proportion with just how cool they are, but they are fun and awesome. The singer understands that a singer in a rock band is well served to understand it as a "performance" first (and is literally never a demonstration of technical vocal ability first). Rock on girls.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

like every crotchety white guy rapping about... putting bologna in his macaroni to illustrate that hip hop takes no skill, I guarantee that your punk music would suck even to those who appreciate the genre

I think I would have liked the Sex Pistols had I lived through that time but I didn't and I don't particularly. The Ramones are fun and the Clash are fucking great.

These guys are fun. I'm not super into their music and think the social media blowup is maybe a bit out of proportion with just how cool they are, but they are fun and awesome. The singer understands that a singer in a rock band is well served to understand it as a "performance" first (and is literally never a demonstration of technical vocal ability first). Rock on girls.

All of this.

In sum I'm stoked to see 1) young people expressing themselves in a rawk format; 2) having fun doing it; and 3) sharing that fun with the rest of us.

The rest is just so much...noise.

• Hook 'Em 1