Austin Regional Thread

Horny Bull

We will be the last regional shown. 
2 seed, and Tennessee instead of Vandy, and Mississippi State as our 7 with TCU as our 6th in Omaha. I think that’s literally the best Omaha draw we could have possibly hoped for.
let’s hope for a solid regional/super and then do this.  

Guest Lobo

Cool that our opening game will be on the Longhorn Network.  

We are paired with Florida.  

Edited by Lobo

NCAA(meaning ESPN) always seems to find a way to fuck with us.  Fairfield may suck but if they are a #2, and RPI matters at all, you stick them with one of the lower national teams.  they just wanted a story to talk about. Just like Oregon and softball.

that said, its possible we never see them.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

NCAA(meaning ESPN) always seems to find a way to fuck with us.  Fairfield may suck but if they are a #2, and RPI matters at all, you stick them with one of the lower national teams.  they just wanted a story to talk about. Just like Oregon and softball.

that said, its possible we never see them.

It don't make a shit.

• Hook 'Em 3

(Dustin McComas) IMMEDIATE REACTION: No. 2 overall seed Texas hosting the Austin Regional

Spoiler

Texas is officially in the NCAA postseason for the 60th time and hosts a regional for the 36th time. Following a 42-15 regular season that included a Big 12 championship, the Texas Longhorns landed the No. 2 national seed when the NCAA unveiled its bracket live on ESPN2. This season’s national seed is the highest Texas has received since 2010 when it was awarded the No. 2 national seed.

A look at who is joining Texas in the Austin Regional:

No. 4 seed - Southern
The SWAC Tournament champions finished 20-28, and punched their ticket in thrilling fashion with a 7-6 win over Jackson State University. Southern finished 0-6 versus Q1 opponents and 0-2 versus Q2 opponents. Southern’s strength is working counts, getting on base, and making things happen with aggressiveness. Southern stole 78 bases in 101 attempts and six different players have seven steals or more. Pitching is the clear weakness.

No. 3 seed - Fairfield
Many wondered how the committee would treat Fairfield, who basically broke RPI this year. Despite losing the conference tournament, Fairfield finished No. 3 in RPI. How? RPI rated 16 of Fairfield’s opponents as Q2 teams. However, ELO - strength rating - rated Fairfield’s entire schedule as a Q4 schedule. So, basically, Fairfield’s schedule was not nearly as strong as RPI suggested.

All that said, Fairfield didn’t finish 37-3 by accident. It does an excellent job of limiting walks (78 all season; 2.26 per game) and is a well-balanced offense, although the group is a bit top heavy and lacks depth.

No. 2 seed - Arizona State
The Sun Devils finished fifth in the Pac-12 after being swept by UCLA to end the season. Led by freshman Ethan Long, who has hit 16 homers, Arizona State’s strength is its offense. As a team, it is hitting .287/.360/.458 and does most of its damage with doubles (107) and homers (58) rather than steals (36-of-57). On the mound this season, ASU has struggled to the tune of a 5.12 team ERA and .272 batting average against.

Looking ahead to a possible super regional matchup…
The Austin Regional is matched with the Gainesville Regional, which includes No. 2 seed Miami. Florida is one of the most talented teams in the country and has been playing very well lately. Obviously, Miami is another talented club capable of winning that region.

Guest Lobo

In Pierce we Trust, particularly with the rotation.  Having said that, I might throw Kubichek versus Southern.  Leaving the usual weekend rotation for Saturday-Sunday-Monday.  

2 minutes ago, Aldo Raine said:

I’m more pissed about the 1pm start than anything

Yeah I don't remember us ever playing the Friday afternoon game when hosting.  I suppose this is Pierce's call?

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I wonder if either Fairfield or asu feels comfortable enough with the other that they throw their #2 starter and hold their ace back for us. 

does southern have anyone of statistical note on their staff?

I don't think Southern has anyone.  I guess Fairfield was the 3 and not the 2(I thought Fairfield was on top).  If fairfield does iun fact suck ASU got a nice gift.  we'll see.

3-0. Southern ain’t shit, Arizona state is baseball Nebraska and what the fuck is a Fairfield? 

Supers? Florida will be a fist fight but we can South Carolina them. Miami? Hahahahha yes please. Easy 2 game regional. It’s Miami. I mean does their choking history even need to be brought up? Bring it 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

RPI is kind of jacked this year for some schools, like Fairfield, that only played a truncated (conference) schedule.

Boyd's World has them at 13 ISR, but asterisked, because conference-only schedule.

Let’s hope this is another Colgate. 

Guest Lobo

Southern doesn't have a starting pitcher with an ERA under 6.00.  The staff's ERA is 6.70, 1.71 WHIP, opponents hit .295 against the staff, 4.5 walks per game.  They've got a good closer though.  I'd just like to have our usual 3 starters available for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday if we drop the Sunday game.  

Fairfield can certainly hit (.305 BA/.400 OBP), mainly a singles and doubles team.  Put up 7runs/game.  And they like to run.  Not sure about the staffs they've faced this year though, doubtful they've ever seen anything like our pitching staff.  Interesting matchup with them and Arizona State about to unfold.  If we face them on Saturday in the winner's bracket, we're sure to see either Noviello or Sansone (Lefty).  Bad news is they are a strikeout staff.  

if we face Arizona State on Saturday, it's either Fall (Lefty) or Thornton.  Their rotation is a hodge-podge aside from those two guys.  Nobody else started more than 6 games, using 11 starting pitchers over the course of the season, and 23 pitchers overall.  Then again, a patchwork staff is sometimes what you need to survive to a Monday game 7 in a deep regional like this.  But it's ASU, holy shit---they can hit.  

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Checking out the Arizona State boards and they seem to hate their coach and have no faith in their team.

Edited by Droopy
Good, let the hate flow as we confirm their fears and send them home packing.